Kenai Fjords vs. Northwestern Fjords tour - bird rookeries?

lawahoo2001

Which tour is best to see the bird rookeries? I know you're likely going to see them on the long (9hr) northwestern fjord tour. Any chance of seeing them on the shorter 6hr tour? We'd love to see puffins in the wild.

This last August we did the Kenai Fjords 6 hour cruise thru Renoun. We really enjoyed sailing slowly past the bird rookeries, seeing many varied varieties of birds, including puffins. We also saw hundreds of puffins swimming around a couple humpback whales.

I'll attach our pics so you can see for yourself! We loved every minute of our 6 hour cruise!

http://picasaweb.google.com/TASharon1/SewardAlaska2008?feat=directlink

Thanks, when I look at the pictures it reminds me why I love Alaska so much!

The captain that day said he wished he had a $1 for every puffin out there. On our first trip to Alaska we saw some Puffins at the SeaLife Center, but there's nothing like seeing them in the wild!

Enjoy every minute of your trip!

Are there any shorter Kenai cruises or are they all 6 hours? Also is it rough and do people get seasick very often? It looks so very beautiful.

You need at LEAST 6 hours on the water. Don't even consider anything shorter, in my opinion.

Yes, part of this usually is rough sailing, and yes, I see sick passengers every trip. Key is PREVENTION, and being prepared. Consult a health care professional for advice. I also see plenty of sick passengers on cruise ships. Be prepared all the way around.

It is a top tour choice, and too excellent to miss.

Archived