Beware Pre-Paid Shore Excursions & AMX

t2digital

Just thought I would share this with anyone thinking they are receiving the "Extended Payment Option" on AMX.

When booking my shore excursion and choosing to pay with my AMX card I was given the option for "extended payment option." Imagine my surprise when the total amount was billed to my AMX card to be paid immediately.

After calling both AMX and Carnival I discovered this was for the SIgn and Travel Customers for AMX (although this is not stated anywhere in the payment option, nor does it come up and tell me that I am not a sign and travel customer). Carnival Rep says that she didn't realize that either so she transferred me to the Shore Excursion Rep who said, "anyone with Sign and Travel would know that option is available to them." To which I replied, "well what about the people who are NOT sign and travel customers, see the offer, choose the offer not knowing it isn't offered to them." Of course as you know I receive the same old canned response.."all sign and travel customers would know that option was only offered to them." The most I received from this conversation was the # to the complaint department. Good Grief!

When I sailed with Princess I don't remember pre-paying for my shore excursions. I believe they were on my final bill at the end of the cruise.

Anyway...I resolved my problem but thought it might behoove others to know that the "extended payment option" is NOT offered to all.

It's an option with Amex that costs nothing to sign up for. Amex will charge you interest. It really has nothing to do with Carnival.

Shore excursions booked over the Internet with Carnival are always pre-paid, whatever the credit card that you use.

Until the cutoff time for booking, you can also cancel the shore excursions and the money will be refunded to your credit card.

Yes, other cruise lines have different policies.

I get the sign and travel issue. My problem is that it isn't advertised to the average joe who doesn't have sign and sail and didn't know what it was about. It would have been nice on Carnival's Website indicating that little piece of information via a link or a pop up describing the procedure for using this option.

My point, if you are not a Sign and Travel Customer and never have been a S&T Customer, but have AMX how is one supposed to know that it is not for everyone who uses their AMX when it is posted as an option when paying. Seriously...it is a matter of placing one little sentence next to the option. "American Expresss Extended Payment Option (for Sign and Travel Members)" How hard is that?

This would have helped avoid a lot of frustration. My point is to educate others who may fall into the same trap of misunderstanding.

Amex typically sends notices of the program to card holders. If you call them, they will send you one.

Carnival has no way of knowing who is or is not eligible for the program. I suspect they should remove that option altogether, since once you sign up for extended payments, all eligible charges are supposed to automatically be itemized in a separate list.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/phaseib/extendedpaymentoption_shareddetailsall.do?vgnextoid=b84823732e4c8010VgnVCM10000084b3ad94RCRD&vgnextchannel=e2cb0db3915e7010VgnVCM10000084b3ad94RCRD&name=extendedpaymentoption_shareddetailsall&type=intbenefitdetail

Just thought I would share this with anyone thinking they are receiving the "Extended Payment Option" on AMX.

When booking my shore excursion and choosing to pay with my AMX card I was given the option for "extended payment option." Imagine my surprise when the total amount was billed to my AMX card to be paid immediately.

After calling both AMX and Carnival I discovered this was for the SIgn and Travel Customers for AMX (although this is not stated anywhere in the payment option, nor does it come up and tell me that I am not a sign and travel customer). Carnival Rep says that she didn't realize that either so she transferred me to the Shore Excursion Rep who said, "anyone with Sign and Travel would know that option is available to them." To which I replied, "well what about the people who are NOT sign and travel customers, see the offer, choose the offer not knowing it isn't offered to them." Of course as you know I receive the same old canned response.."all sign and travel customers would know that option was only offered to them." The most I received from this conversation was the # to the complaint department. Good Grief!

When I sailed with Princess I don't remember pre-paying for my shore excursions. I believe they were on my final bill at the end of the cruise.

Anyway...I resolved my problem but thought it might behoove others to know that the "extended payment option" is NOT offered to all.

Thank you for the warning. It may help others avoid the problems you encountered. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

This is just another example of Carnival's very poor Website and Web Design staff. All they would have to do is put 2 lines of text explaining who is eligible for that option:

This option is only available to AMEX customers who have registered for "Sign and Travel". All other customers will have the full amount of the excursion charged to their credit card.

I have stopped hoping they will hire a competent staff in their web department.

I am glad that you posted this!!! I had wondered what this what but forgot all about it......

When I signed up for my excursions I saw the extended pay option....I had no idea what exactly it meant SO I first went and looked at the Shore Excursion FAQs and found nothing, then I did a search on the Carnival website to see what it entailed....still found nothing.....at that point I decided to just book it the "normal" way knowing that I could cancel and be credited as long as it was within the paramters.....

Anyway.....NOW I know and do think it is great that you posted.....

Archived