Ketchikan Recommendation

Two from Virginia

We really enjoyed flightseeing with Michelle of Island Wings - independent tour operator. Expensive, but so worth it! The views were breathtaking and the landing on an isolated cove was spectacular - we spent about a 1/2 hour there on this HUGE rock jutting out into the cove. So peaceful with gorgeous scenery everywhere you looked!

While in Ketchikan, would you recommend doing a tour of the port on your own or booking a tour? What independent our operator would you recommend? Is it better to book ahead or to book when you are in port?

Thanks.

You have to determine what tour, before you decide how to book it and what operator. Look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. There are HUNDREDS of tours to consider. You are way best to have all your plans and reservations in place before you go. You will be using up valuable port time if you wait until you get there.

We enjoyed walking around Ketchikan on our own. Creek Street is very nice and don't miss Dolly's House up there. Really interesting. We were there in Sept. and enjoyed watching the Salmon in the creek and watching them jump up the fish ladder up above Creek Street. We had been to Ketchikan before when we moved from Fairbanks to the lower 48 and took the Alaska State Ferry out. We saw the totems with our kids on that trip.

We have 7 booked with Dave & Kat on May 15, which means there is room for 5 more. The tour leaves from our ship (the Pearl, but all ships dock at the same pier) at 8:00 and returns at 10:00. 5 more can join us in order to fill the cabs. The price is the same ($75 an hour plus tip) no matter how many are on the tour.

B. Cole

We have 7 booked with Dave & Kat on May 15, which means there is room for 5 more. The tour leaves from our ship (the Pearl, but all ships dock at the same pier) at 8:00 and returns at 10:00. 5 more can join us in order to fill the cabs. The price is the same ($75 an hour plus tip) no matter how many are on the tour.

B. Cole

Would love to join you but we won't be there until July. I wonder if there are any July travelers out there wanting to do this tour?

Would love to join you but we won't be there until July. I wonder if there are any July travelers out there wanting to do this tour?

Funny you should mention July cruising, we are doing B2B July 8th Northbound and July 15th southbound on Carnival spirit. We just contacted them today and since we are only 2 people suggested we try to find 2 more.

We will be in Ketchikan July 10th nortbound and July 20 southbound. On the 10th we are on a fishing excursion with Northern Lights at 7 am, this is a 1/2 day excursion.

On the 20th, we don't have anything booked. We will be in Ketchikan July 10th from 6:30 am to 5 pm and on July 20 from 11:00 am until 8 pm.

Funny you should mention July cruising, we are doing B2B July 8th Northbound and July 15th southbound on Carnival spirit. We just contacted them today and since we are only 2 people suggested we try to find 2 more.

We will be in Ketchikan July 10th nortbound and July 20 southbound. On the 10th we are on a fishing excursion with Northern Lights at 7 am, this is a 1/2 day excursion.

On the 20th, we don't have anything booked. We will be in Ketchikan July 10th from 6:30 am to 5 pm and on July 20 from 11:00 am until 8 pm.

We will be in Ketchikan on July 9th. We would have been glad to join you if we were there on the 10th.

B. Cole

You should post this on your roll call board or any other roll calls for ships that will be in port when you are.

We, too, booked with Ketchikan Taxi last summer. Kat was our tour guide and we thoroughly enjoyed our tour.

You should post this on your roll call board or any other roll calls for ships that will be in port when you are.

We, too, booked with Ketchikan Taxi last summer. Kat was our tour guide and we thoroughly enjoyed our tour.

Great idea! How do I find out which ships are in port on that date. We are on the Pearl.

B. Cole

I reserved the Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary for my family (includes a 3 year old). It says that they also take you to feed some reindeer. I have read some reviews that aren't so favorable and am wondering if I should cancel this excursion and just go on our own.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I reserved the Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary for my family (includes a 3 year old). It says that they also take you to feed some reindeer. I have read some reviews that aren't so favorable and am wondering if I should cancel this excursion and just go on our own.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, this can be a very costly excursion for petting some caribou. :) And a 3 year old can be tough to keep entertained. :)

If an option for you, you may be better off doing a walking tour, taking the city bus to Totem Bight, renting a car etc etc etc. probably for less money?

We really enjoyed flightseeing with Michelle of Island Wings - independent tour operator. Expensive, but so worth it! The views were breathtaking and the landing on an isolated cove was spectacular - we spent about a 1/2 hour there on this HUGE rock jutting out into the cove. So peaceful with gorgeous scenery everywhere you looked!

I too am a fan of Michelle's at Island Wings. We took a trip with her a number of years ago and although I've flown in a LOT of small planes up here, she was the best pilot I can remember. All flights are expensive, but her's are 100% worth it.

I too am a fan of Michelle's at Island Wings. We took a trip with her a number of years ago and although I've flown in a LOT of small planes up here, she was the best pilot I can remember. All flights are expensive, but her's are 100% worth it.

Hi,

We are looking forward to our flight with Michelle in mid-June. Shona has been very good emailing us about the trip.

Bruce

Archived