rc charged 1.00 to preauthorize my cc for my booking

i made my res yesterday to go to bermuda on eos and i checked my cc statement so i can pay it, and there were two charges one for 1.00 and one for 500. i called my cc company to see what was going on and they said that rc did it and that they do it to preauthorize my cc and that it gets refunded. not that it bothers me,but the agent did not tell me at the time of booking so i called. the agent that answered my call said that they dont do that then i said yes you do and he debated with me for about 5 minutes. he then transfered me to resolutions and they said that they do and that it is similar to pumping gas and paying at the pump. i told them that they should inform their agents because the first one didnt tell me and the second one did not even know about it,the man just chuckled and told me that even if i were to book online i would have the dollar charge.

i guess that they first charge the dollar to see if there is enough funds, then they charge the amount you requsted. like i said its not the fact that they charge and refund the dollar its just the fact that they did not tell me at booking. am i the only person this happend to?i mean what if i only had the 500 dollars on the card thinking i could book a cruise and couldnt over a dollar :o

The $1.00 charge is only a temporary charge, sort of a place holder that verifies that you have a valid account. When the actual charge is received by the credit card company from RCCL, the $1.00 charge will automatically be removed after about 7 days.

This is a common practice, and I have seen it frequently show on my account when I charge gas at a gas station and then go online when I get home to check my account balance. I have never actually had to pay the $1.00 charges.

Hypo

i made my res yesterday to go to bermuda on eos and i checked my cc statement so i can pay it, and there were two charges one for 1.00 and one for 500. i called my cc company to see what was going on and they said that rc did it and that they do it to preauthorize my cc and that it gets refunded. not that it bothers me,but the agent did not tell me at the time of booking so i called. the agent that answered my call said that they dont do that then i said yes you do and he debated with me for about 5 minutes. he then transfered me to resolutions and they said that they do and that it is similar to pumping gas and paying at the pump. i told them that they should inform their agents because the first one didnt tell me and the second one did not even know about it,the man just chuckled and told me that even if i were to book online i would have the dollar charge.

i guess that they first charge the dollar to see if there is enough funds, then they charge the amount you requsted. like i said its not the fact that they charge and refund the dollar its just the fact that they did not tell me at booking. am i the only person this happend to?i mean what if i only had the 500 dollars on the card thinking i could book a cruise and couldnt over a dollar :o

Any time I make a purchase that is pre-authorized the $1 shows up and falls off after a couple of days. It is common. If you pump gas you have to slide your card and it authorizes it. You pump your gas and it has your total amount due. It charges the full amount as that is what is on your receipt. The dollar is on your card if you check the balance online but does not and has never shown up on the actual statement.

The $1.00 charge is only a temporary charge, sort of a place holder that verifies that you have a valid account. When the actual charge is received by the credit card company from RCCL, the $1.00 charge will automatically be removed after about 7 days.

This is a common practice, and I have seen it frequently show on my account when I charge gas at a gas station and then go online when I get home to check my account balance. I have never actually had to pay the $1.00 charges.

Hypo

HYPO is right. It is just a temporary charge that will disappear in a few days.

I have had it happen one one of my checkcard companies charges but not the other. So I have no problem using either cards to book. I went to a restaurant to make a reservation and they charged me one dollar which was returned, but was charging my card in case I did not show up to keep my reservation so they would have my card number.

Archived