How do you protect your belongings while on the beach??

kiska

How do you protect your personal belongings when you go to the beach on the island and want to go in the water. In the past we've always traveled in groups of 6-8 people, so someone would always sit with the bags while the rest are in the water, and we'd take turns. However, this time it's just the two of us sailing, and obviously there's no fun in playing in the waves by yourself while the other person is sitting on the shore. Any advice, tips, and tricks would be great. This will be my boyfriend's first time cruising (9th cruise for me) and I want to make sure he has the best time possible! Thanks in advance!

We can usually see our stuff from where we are in the water, unless we are snorkeling. I keep my camera with me and don't have much else worth stealing in my bag (sunscreen, towels, hats). My ID and stuff like that are usually buried in the bag so it would take some time to find them and most times hubby has a zippered pocket in his bathing suit that he can put our cards in.

If you have stuff that you are nervous about leaving alone, you might want to consider a backpack from PacSafe. I have one that has wire mesh throughout the body that prevents it being cut open. It also has a cable and lock that snug up the top of the pack and can be locked to a chair/table/pole/etc. Not cheap, but worth it. I have seen PacSafe products through Amazon or REI.com.

How do you protect your personal belongings when you go to the beach on the island and want to go in the water. In the past we've always traveled in groups of 6-8 people, so someone would always sit with the bags while the rest are in the water, and we'd take turns. However, this time it's just the two of us sailing, and obviously there's no fun in playing in the waves by yourself while the other person is sitting on the shore. Any advice, tips, and tricks would be great. This will be my boyfriend's first time cruising (9th cruise for me) and I want to make sure he has the best time possible! Thanks in advance!

Just politely ask someone close by to keep an eye open for you and offer to return the favour. You'll invariably find that those people are from the ship too.

Kiska: I have a waterproof "wallet" that I keep money, ID, and room card for ship in. It can be worn on a lanyard, or can attach with a velcro strap around the ankle/wrist. It weighs nothing, doesn't flop around while in the water, and really keeps things dry. I got it at TravelSmith, but I have seen them on several sites.

Amy

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I like BoardwalkBabe's idea of keeping the ID cards in the BF's pockets :D, and you're right, the only thing that would be in the bag are change of clothes, towels and sunblock. I am getting very excited about the warm beach weather especially with the 40-something degree rainy weather we've been having lately.

I have a dry box that hangs on a cord around my neck. I bought it at a divers' shop. I leave my good camera in the safe onboard and take along an underwater camera bought at Walmart. The dry box holds a credit card, paper money and my passenger card.

Don't ever leave anything valuable, even a camera, in your bag on the beach even if you can see it from where you are in the water or ask someone nearby to watch it. By the time someone grabs your bag and you race to shore, they'll be long gone; as for strangers watching your stuff, more often than not, they'll go into the waves too, leaving your stuff unwatched.

Put anything valuable in a waterproof bag and take it with you in the water.

Hi: we've put our valuables in a waterproof pouch that cinches around your waist (like a fanny pack, but flatter, not as bulky), which you can wear into the water. I've been able to fit my ID, passport, keycard, camera & a couple of ever-necessary tissues in the smaller one (medium...also comes in large), quite nicely. Everything has always kept dry as a bone. I purchased them from Magellan (on line), they come with extra waterproof zip-lock liners &, as I recall, were quite reasonable.

Pretty hard to bring a video camera,regular camera,cards,books,handi wipes,sunglasses,hats,towel,make-up,brush,any shopping items(trinkets,t-shirts,spices,coffee or whatever bought frm vendors or stores)or whatever else the dw happens to want to lug along!!!i am in it just for the videos.:eek:

I have a platic waterproof container that hangs around my neck and I stick it in my bathing suit top when in the water (seaport card, license, and a bit of cash). By a cheap one time camera - may not get the picture quality you want, but well worth not being worried about losing your expensive camera. Make time in your day to take your valuables back to the ship before the beach - especially if you have gone shopping first. If you want quality pictures/videos of the beach, take them and then head back to the ship to drop the equipment off. May take an hour or so out of your time on the island, but well worth the stress free beach time.

Do people bring their passports off the boat at ports? Any suggestions?

Make photocopies. Even if you're on a ship that doesn't "safekeep" your passport, there is no real need to carry it with you. If you get into trouble, your photocopy has all of the information that the authorities need.

First, I don't know why people assume that fellow beachgoers are honest.

Why would someone ask a "total" stranger to watch their stuff?

I put my important stuff in plastic and bury it in the sand (putting the really important stuff like boarding pass/CC/cash in a separate spot under the towel).

• Administrators
First, I don't know why people assume that fellow beachgoers are honest.

Why would someone ask a "total" stranger to watch their stuff?

I put my important stuff in plastic and bury it in the sand (putting the really important stuff like boarding pass/CC/cash in a separate spot under the towel).

I put my important stuff (that would BE the boarding pass/CC/cash) in a plastic "beach safe" around my neck, carry my camera on my wrist (waterproof either by disposable waterproof ones, or by a case for my normal digital), and leave EVERYTHING else open and obvious on the beach -- like a neon sign -- "this [empty] bag only has some towels, sunscreen, watershoes, and a dry pair of shorts."

Just don't bring anything of great value! No one can use your seapass to access the ship--stick it in a book or something. Bring only a very small amount of money--stick that in something that no one would want, or put it in a pocket in your trunks--water doesn't hurt cash or a credit card. Bring cheap flip-flops and an old t-shirt--no one wants your 'stuff".

Don't bring expensive cameras---someone WILL want that! They don't want a disposable camera----it's the actual camera they may take--no one wants you pictures!

We've never had a problem with anyone bothering our "old junk"---of course, we don't just leave it alone for hours and hours....

For beach trips, we buy a disposable water camera. No worries about our "good camera" being taken. The only other valuables we have with us is a small amount of cash, our cruise id's, a book or two, towels, and flip flops. The cruise id's are zippered into Dh's swimsuit pocket while the other items are left in a mesh bag on a beach chair. If someone is really all that desperate for my dog-earred paperback, worn/used flip flops, or my Winnie the Pooh beach towel -- then they can have it. ;)

Just don't bring anything of great value! No one can use your seapass to access the ship--stick it in a book or something. Bring only a very small amount of money--stick that in something that no one would want, or put it in a pocket in your trunks--water doesn't hurt cash or a credit card. Bring cheap flip-flops and an old t-shirt--no one wants your 'stuff".

Don't bring expensive cameras---someone WILL want that! They don't want a disposable camera----it's the actual camera they may take--no one wants you pictures!

We've never had a problem with anyone bothering our "old junk"---of course, we don't just leave it alone for hours and hours....

Just because no one else can use your "seapass" does not mean that it won't be stolen. If they take your book, you lose the card. Depending on the port, you might need the pass to enter the port area. Always keep cash, IDs, credit cards ON YOUR PERSON at all times. Snatch-and-run thieves do not take the time to sort through your stuff before grabbing it --so they can considerately leave your seapass so you can re-board.

We can usually see our stuff from where we are in the water, unless we are snorkeling. I keep my camera with me and don't have much else worth stealing in my bag (sunscreen, towels, hats). My ID and stuff like that are usually buried in the bag so it would take some time to find them and most times hubby has a zippered pocket in his bathing suit that he can put our cards in.

Ditto...

Archived