12B@C

How did you create a web site where you show cruise pictures?

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]There are so many of you who have shared pictures and experiences of your cruises. I like to learn how to do that. Can some of you share your ideas how?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I like to have a site where I can show not only the pictures, but make some comments about what you are looking at.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]good place to start: do a Google search for [I]"photo sharing sites"[/I] you'll find a bunch of 'em, most of 'em FREE. The free sites have easy to understand instructions and are good for newbies. Although I don't use it much anymore, I started with Google's Picasa. I now use a "pay-only" site, but I have my own domain name and can do virtually anything I want with the site. I'm still a rank amateur at it, but I have a boat load of fun with it! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:D

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We have our own domain name and it's hosted through GoDaddy.com [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]which was very inexpensive compared to others[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Our photo albums are done through Smilebox with a premium membership, because I didn't want any advertising...though if that's not a problem for you ..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]they can be free but advertising will appear when they are viewed. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We have our blog through the website, but I'm thinking of moving it to google blogger or wordpress and linking from the website to there. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]It was important to us that no advertising was on our website which did limit how we created it. There are travel blog websites out there but your control over advertising is limited. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I would also suggest, (though you've probably done it) is to check out other websites/blogs in this forum to see what others have done.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Here's our website link, if you have any questions let me know![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.ourpassportstamps.com/"][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]http://www.ourpassportstamps.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

Both of you have great family web sites and that is what I had in mind. I don't like all the ads that typically mess up otherwise nice pages. So, if it cost me a few dollars per year, then so be it.
I will have to do some research, I guess. I am sure that like everything else, you get better creating these pages as you get going. It is just that first step.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I agree with the two posts above. It is nice to have your own web site and not be bothered with ads.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I like to create my own pages, rather than following a set format. I can do that with my server and a software program called ‘Dream Weaver’. As was mentioned above, you need to have a ‘domain’, a unique name for your site that would be only yours throughout the world. Choosing one can be tricky because you can imagine that all the ‘cute’ ones are taken. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I suggest you check out some of the websites of servers. I use “1&1 Web Hosting Service”. If you go to their home page (I think it is [/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://www.1and1.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]www.1and1.com[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]) you can search for a domain without cost. They can also help you with creating a web site. Right now they make it easy and relatively inexpensive to have a site of your own. I am not trying to tout this company, per sec. It is just that I use them and it has worked fine for me. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Our initial intent was to have a site so our friends and relatives could see and read a bit about what we are up to. Of course, now CC has created another way for us to share what we have done, and that is fine. I enjoy putting the pictures and comments together, but you could also use your site for any commercial ventures you might be involved in. Be careful, though, people get annoyed very quickly with ‘now let me try to sell you this and that’.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Lair Bear'][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]... but you could also use your site for any commercial ventures you might be involved in. Be careful, though, people get annoyed very quickly with ‘now let me try to sell you this and that’.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

Please remember the rules for posting a website on this forum:

[I][COLOR=black][B]Cruise Blogs & Websites[/B] [/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=black]Share your personal cruise-related blog or website with others![/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black]This forum is a showcase for your PERSONAL cruise website or blog.[/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black]Please do not link to commercial websites or cruise message board forums here.[/COLOR][/I]

Also the [URL="http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm"][COLOR=blue][B]Guidelines[/B][/COLOR][/URL] we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic membership:

[I][COLOR=black][B]Other Cruise & Travel Sites[/B][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=black]Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that are not located within Cruise Critic. [/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black]Additionally, we respectfully request that you do not use our forums to promote or advertise other cruise-related websites.[/COLOR][/I]

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all! [IMG]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/05.gif[/IMG]

Kat [IMG]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif[/IMG] Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
typo

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Sorry Host Kat...:o[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]How about this ....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]If anyone wants to know what I did, how I did it and why I did it...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]our email address is on our website...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Just send me an email...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]that way you get the info and we all play by the rules!!!! :) :) :)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='12B@C']Both of you have great family web sites and that is what I had in mind. I don't like all the ads that typically mess up otherwise nice pages. So, if it cost me a few dollars per year, then so be it.
I will have to do some research, I guess. I am sure that like everything else, you get better creating these pages as you get going. It is just that first step.[/quote]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Thank you for the compliment!

I want you to know our website began a year ago...and I thought html was an acronym for hotmail...you just slowly learn things along the way..
and it's a labor of love![/COLOR] Edited by where2next

[quote=Host Kat >^..^<;18655620]Please remember the rules for posting a website on this forum:

[I][COLOR=black]Share your personal cruise-related blog or website with others![/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black]This forum is a showcase for your PERSONAL cruise website or blog.[/COLOR][/I]

Kat [IMG]http://skins.hotbar.com/skins/mailskins/em/110105/110105_emYA42_prv.gif[/IMG][/quote]

You are right Kat. I did refer to a commercial site, but it was by way of reference to [EMAIL="12b@c"]12b@c[/EMAIL] to help him get started.

If this particular section is important to CC, is there another good way for those interested to get started with their own web site and share their experiences on cruises without making reference to companies who helped them with the web?
Is that not a bit like recommending a travel agency or tour company when some one asks for an opinion?
I think all of this is related to our PERSONAL cruise experiences and blogs. Edited by Lair Bear

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Dear Host Kat [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]While I don't always agree with Lair Bair..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I'm in unison with him on this one...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]How I began learning was through a wonderful support board on Google that no longer exists...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo] I would love for all of us to bounce PERSONAL TRAVEL WEBSITE ideas off of each other, maybe offer a solution or give creative feedback. Learn what services that others have discovered and why it works or doesnt[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Sometimes when you stare at your website for so long, you just need a fresh pair of eyes that has some inkling of what you are trying to accomplish![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Is there a way we could have just one thread for that?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Maybe you could put a disclosure on it...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]CruiseCritic does NOT support any companies mentioned by the particpants in this thread[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]Just brainstorming here...not trying to break any rules ;) :)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

i ve been using a slide show program..the program download s pictures from *My Pictures* and i edit them into a slideshow..

where2next - what software do you use for your website. very nice site by the way. i have a domain name but when i use their templates they are not user friendly and they just don't look right. also, when i look at it on different computers that have different resolution settings it can be too big or too long. what am i doing wrong?

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Hi Patsea...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I'm using a template that is provided by my host mentioned above.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Templates really need to be fiddled with, it took about 3 hours of playing to come up with ours...if you saw the original template to our website..you would never think it was the same thing...as I found it in the Arts and Crafts section of options. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Also, just to note..I do not know any script/coding of anykind.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]The only script on our website is the rotating vintage travel posters in the Photo section and Karen's Cruise Corner..this is JavaScript and was done for me by my DH. He is in tech, but after a 12 hour day has no desire to come home and create all the bells and whistles I've dreamed up :D[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]What we chose to do, had to accomadate my lack knowledge.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We can change colors and subtract items from the template and of course add pictures. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]As I said, I am not a tech person..so what I will share will be what I discovered not the actual terminology or reasoning. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I was told early on that one of the post draining things to your website that will cause it to be slow to load was photos. Now if you look at LairBairs website he does have photos and it works, but we wanted to add more than he did. So, you might want to send him an email if you like his format and get the particulars..just by looking at his site I think he knows much more than me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Regarding your resolution I know there's a way to change your photo size using the Photo Gallery that should be on your pc OR the usual photo editing software that is a household name..that would make the photo size uniform. Also keep in mind what browser you use on each computer will determine what your website might look like...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]Mine looks different in Internet Explorer and Mozilla and Safari. I build in IE, but I've heard many prefer Mozilla[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]Also, if you have too many albums or slide shows that can slow down a page to load and drain clarity (I think) So if you notice I have 71 pages on our website, Lair Bair has a bunch on his, Lee and Mike and Beyondships have many many pages on theirs. This is why you see Blogs archived after awhile. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I did try to do what you are talking about and had the same problem [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and decided that I was not going to cause myself so much stress and frustration so I chose the embedd route. Also, the look I wanted was as if we were sitting down on your couch and I was showing you our album.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]So, I looked around for a way to do a photoalbum or slideshow and then EMBEDD those into our website...which means that website can handle the traffic and you don't have to worry[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Also, when I shopped around for a host when googlepages announced they were closing down..many people on this forum offered suggestions for an alternative that they were happy with..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Here is the thread on that[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826015"][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826015[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I'm sorry I'm not naming names on this BUT until Host Kat gives approval [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]feel free to send an email.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]Oh side note...a Blogger for Dummies book is coming out in the next month or 2...I will be buying this![/COLOR][/SIZE] Edited by where2next

The main reason for my previous post concerns the following:

[quote name='Lair Bear'][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]... but you could also use your site for any commercial ventures you might be involved in...[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

As long as your "commercial ventures" are not mentioned in your websites posted on this forum, all is well. To me, the [URL="http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm"][B]Guidelines[/B][/URL] are quite clear about prohibiting blatant advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on all of our message boards. This applies to ANY "commercial venture" of ANY member. It did NOT refer to the sites used to build your websites.

As for:

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]... Is there a way we could have just one thread for that?[/COLOR][/SIZE] ...[/quote]
I think you do, and this thread is it! I have made it a [B][COLOR=red]Sticky[/COLOR][/B] to keep it on top of the thread titles.

As for:

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]...[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Just send me an email... [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]that way you get the info and we all play by the rules!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
Well... not quite. Per the [URL="http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm"][B][COLOR=blue]Guidelines[/COLOR][/B][/URL]:

[SIZE=2][I][COLOR=black][B]Answer Postings on the Boards, Not in E-mail[/B] [/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][I][COLOR=black]Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through E-mail.[/COLOR][/I] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Again, I sincerely hope this additional information will be helpful to all! [IMG]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/05.gif[/IMG]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Kat [IMG]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif[/IMG][/SIZE] Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
typo

Your point is well taken, Kat. What I probably should have explained to [EMAIL="12b@c"]12b@c[/EMAIL] is that [B][SIZE=3]if[/SIZE][/B] he or she were to use the web site for commercial purposes, it would not be kohsher with CC.

I would like to add a couple more comments about creating web sites.
There are probably thousands of ways to do it. I happen to like the freedom I have in making up pages to suit my need. I have sections that deal with genealogy and show Excel spreadsheets and PDF charts with thousands of names; there are some comments about woodworking and cutting mats for framing pictures, a section about cooking, etc.
I am constantly amazed how much information can be included for a few bucks it costs me every year.
One thing I do, however, I reduce the size of the photos to just about the printed size before I include them on my domain. That way I save a lot of bytes.

Lastly, rather than going on-and-on on this forum, I would suggest to anyone who would like to know more about how I went about setting up our site, to send me an email. Edited by Lair Bear

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Hi![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I just wanted to let you know that[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Barnes and Noble has [COLOR="Blue"]Google Blogger for Dummies and Wordpress for Dummies[/COLOR] on sale for 30% off! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]AND right now there's a 10% off coupon that you can use in conjunction with that floating around the internet. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]K.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo] [/COLOR][/SIZE] Edited by where2next

[FONT=Calibri]I said I would not go on-and-on and yet here I am doing just that. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][B]BUT,[/B] perhaps it might help to make a comparison of the three ways you can publish pictures and other info on your web site. I put this together from some of the CC posts during the last few days. They are examples of what people are using, but it is by no means an exhaustive list. Could it help you to decide which way you want to go?[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri]1.[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri]Free web sites where you can show your pictures. These are typically commercial outfits that try to get your photo printing business. The sights are full of ads but do let you upload your favorite pictures so others can see them and even order prints.[/FONT]
[URL="http://photobucket.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://photobucket.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.shutterfly.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://www.shutterfly.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[URL="http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]2.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Blogs. What is a blog anyway? Initially this stood for web-log and quickly was abbreviated. The intent was for anyone to publish their opinions about almost any subject matter, but it has grown and expanded to include private web site details. It is a great way to get started and use for your narrative and photos. Each company has a different format but most provide templates so you can create your own version. Here are some links and a couple examples of CC people who have used them. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[URL="https://www.blogger.com/start"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]https://www.blogger.com/start[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://wordpress.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://wordpress.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.travel-plan-idea.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://www.travel-plan-idea.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.peopleconnectionblog.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://www.peopleconnectionblog.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://home.comcast.net/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://home.comcast.net/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri] Here are some examples:[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://bobmoes.blogspot.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://bobmoes.blogspot.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://bentpage.wordpress.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://bentpage.wordpress.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://home.comcast.net/~optifire173/site/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://home.comcast.net/~optifire173/site/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[B][COLOR=#17365d][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri]3.[/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]

Personal web sites with a monthly (or yearly) fee. These are the web sites that let you do almost anything with graphics, music, videos, charts, etc. Cruise Critic is an example. Most businesses have one, but for personal family use they can be quite interesting to see and lots of work to put together.[B][COLOR=#17365d][/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.kevinstringer.co.uk/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://www.kevinstringer.co.uk/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[FONT=Verdana]Here is one that completely baffles me. It gives the impression of providing a ‘gallery’ for your prints. It is a commercial site by Apple that lets you put pictures on their web site, it is slow to respond, is very limited in what you can do, and yet you have to pay $99 per year. Am I missing something? [COLOR=#0033cc][URL="http://www.apple.com/mobileme/"][COLOR=#800080]http://www.apple.com/mobileme/[/COLOR][/URL] [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Examples[COLOR=#0033cc] [URL]http://gallery.me.com/hicact#[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana] [URL="http://gallery.me.com/fsmaxwell"][COLOR=#800080]http://gallery.me.com/fsmaxwell[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR] Edited by Lair Bear

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Hi Lair Bair![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We were when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and are now ourpassportstamps.com[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Quite a big change in 1 year![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks Lair Bear. That was a good and useful comparison.

I may send you an email because I still have some questions about how you created such a great web site, how much it costs and a few other details. I noticed your response bullet on your home page.

another site to add to your list....

[URL]http://www.webs.com/[/URL] it was called freewebs until recently and they still offer free web sites. As long as you don't mind the ads, it's a nice way to do a small site for sharing.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Good Deal!:D

This is a pretty good listing of photo sharing sites.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo_sharing_websites"]Wikipedia List of Photo Sharing Sites [/URL]

Start with a free site that's easy for you to use - that's what I like about Picasa - you get everything you need in one package, but as this list shows, there's plenty of choices. Most of the free sites are aimed at newbies so they'll be fairly simple to use. With a "pay-only" site you will not be bothered with ads, etc, your stuff will look better, and the support will be more complete and more personal, but the sites will be more complicated.;)

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Loblolly_Cruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=green]I now use a "pay-only" site, but I have my own domain name and can do virtually anything I want with the site. I'm still a rank amateur at it, but I have a boat load of fun with it! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:D[/quote]

Len, you are my kind of guy and your motto: 'have a boat load of fun with it'. To create a web site can indeed be a lot of fun. I still do.

Judy and you have shown us some marvelous pictures on your site. The scenery and the composition of the barns and background are superb. Are you by chance a professional photographer in disguise?

Since you also have a private web site, I am curious about the provider or server you use. I mentioned what I did (1&1) but as long as we opened the door, some others might be interested to compare these sites as well. Do you mind telling us? Edited by Lair Bear

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]LairBear & Where2Next - excellent websites!:D

12B&C - have you found what you were looking for? When you get something going post a link for us. :)

No pros here... strictly a hobby. Our site is powered by SmugMug. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Loblolly_Cruiser']
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=green]12B&C - have you found what you were looking for? When you get something going post a link for us. :)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/quote]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I am still looking into the details. I like what you did with the SmugMug photo gallery. You have some beautiful photos. Yet, I also like the variety of things you can do with the 1&1 web site provider. I think the features that Lair Bear has shown (such as the interactive map of his Bruges walking tour) are probably beyond my reach right now. But I am a fast learner, ha, ha.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]There is the question about price. The standard SmugMug route at $39.95 per year is limited to photos and some narrative only. The more custom version is $59.95. The 1&1 package starts at $1.99 per month and then goes up to $3.99 per month.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I am already toying with domain names such as www.[/SIZE][/FONT][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]wantobeatsea.com. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][B]But then again, I may be more general.[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
I will let you know what I decide. But I plan to ask more questions.

Link to my book I created with Pics on Pages. for my carnival legend Cruise March 8, 2009. I highly recommend this program. and they have the best customer care I have seen in forever.

[URL]http://share1.sendtoprint.net/bshare.php?hashid=ab243ac315c8f9c55254[/URL]

[SIZE=3]LairBear..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A couple of things for you...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]1st thanks for the pdf idea..I'll need to think about how we can use that....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I saw your post about blogging on your cruise on the other thread[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We have blogged on land vacations using internet cafes or the hotel we are staying at offered a computer for its guests[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=indigo][SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]This year we purchased a Dell Mini 9. My DH and I are traveling again by land for 3 weeks and most places have free wifi even in the cave hotel in Cappadocia Turkey! We can also take the memory card out of our camera and load pictures right onto the laptop because it comes with a sd card slot. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]When I have cruised with my Mom..I brought a laptop, I wrote the blog offline and then signed on, copied and pasted .....it was totally easy. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]However, I would not take the time to upload photos on the cruise...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]even with my free internet minutes on Princess, I would just drain them [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]quickly waiting for them to upload. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I suppose you could take your laptop into a port searching for a free wifi option[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]If you would like I give you a full report on the Dell Mini and how it worked out for us when we return in May. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]

However, despite the tittle above, if anyone who has their own website and is interested in creating a format that is easy to print, let me know. Just send me an email and I will give you specific details on how to do it.

PDF stands for [B]Portable Document Format. [/B]I know that does not explain much, but Wikipedia might help [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf[/URL]

Now there are a couple 'free' versions that do the same thing, so you don't have to 'buy' the version offered by Adobe. But it still requires (to the best of my knowledge) that you have the Adobe 'read only' version installed on your computer.

This answer was in response to a couple of inquiries. If it does not fit with this forum, please remove this posting.

BTW. Sorry about my tittle error. Is there a way to correct creat to create?? Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
correction to post title per author's request

[SIZE=3]Lair Bear...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I think you are ok...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]since Host Kat gave us this sticky to discuss[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]how we build and maintain our websites [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]in addition to share ideas and solutions with each other![/SIZE] Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
per author

[quote name='Lair Bear']... Sorry about my tittle error. Is there a way to correct creat to create??[/quote]
Done per your request.

Glad I could help!

Kat [IMG]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif[/IMG] Edited by Host Kat >^..^<

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Host Kat...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I just re-read what I wrote I didn't mean to say stinky[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]....it was sticky..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]oops :o :)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Host Kat...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I just re-read what I wrote I didn't mean to say stinky[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]....it was sticky..[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]oops :o :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

I have now corrected it for you.

typo

go to [URL="http://www.shutterfly.com"]www.shutterfly.com[/URL] and sign up for their services, then chose the option where you can make a webpage. Upload your photos to your shutterfly website, and then just tell your friends (or fellow CC members) the name of the website. Shutterfly will let you chose the name, and if its taken, they'll make you chose another one. There are MANY ways, but this is the EASIEST that I know of, for someone who isn't too familiar with the computer. I think you can do the same with Flicker or Flickr (not sure how they spell it). Hope this helps. When in doubt, as your kids or grandkids or neighbors kids. They know MUCH MORE than our generation will ever know. I think they come out of the womb with more technical knowledge than we have at 50 years old!

[quote name='Loblolly_Cruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=green]good place to start: do a Google search for [I]"photo sharing sites"[/I] you'll find a bunch of 'em, most of 'em FREE. The free sites have easy to understand instructions and are good for newbies. Although I don't use it much anymore, I started with Google's Picasa. I now use a "pay-only" site, but I have my own domain name and can do virtually anything I want with the site. I'm still a rank amateur at it, but I have a boat load of fun with it! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:D[/quote]

Len & Judy,
I'm originally from south Georgia so I know the loblolly well! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful photos and your travelogue. My parents are planning a trip to Alaska next year so I shared it with them as well.
Hope you enjoy your cruise and land tour! :):D:):D:)

I should add that, if'n you don't [I]have[/I] a personal website, you can create a [B]BLOG[/B] ... for free.

Check it out:

[URL]https://www.blogger.com/start[/URL] Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
removed link showing TMI for poster and replaced with the site's Home Page

[quote=Host Kat >^..^<;18655620]Please remember the rules for posting a website on this forum:

[I][COLOR=black]Please do not link to commercial websites or cruise message board forums here.[/COLOR][/I]

Also the [URL="http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm"][B][COLOR=blue]Guidelines[/COLOR][/B][/URL] we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic membership:

[I][COLOR=black][B]Other Cruise & Travel Sites[/B][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=black]Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that are not located within Cruise Critic. [/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black]Additionally, we respectfully request that you do not use our forums to promote or advertise other cruise-related websites.[/COLOR][/I]

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all...[/quote]

Please note this [B]Cruise Blogs & Websites Forum[/B] is for members to share their [U]travelogue-style[/U] [U]personal[/U] [U]cruise-related[/U] [U]blog[/U] [U]site[/U] [U]or[/U] [U]web[/U] [U]site[/U] [U]address[/U] with others. If your blog or website address does not fit the description, do not post it on this forum. It will be removed.

since i only take pictures..i ll use Roxio s Photoshows
to create slideshows..but, there is a small yrly fee..

when i open the Roxio icon..if i have any new photo s in *My Pictures*
it ll prompt me to whether i want to load them into the program..once there i can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow..

it also has option s to rearange the order of the slides, add music,
comments or to edit the picture..there s more feature..but, im still
learning the program..

[quote name='deepnite10']since i only take pictures..i ll use Roxio s Photoshows
to create slideshows..but, there is a small yrly fee..

when i open the Roxio icon..if i have any new photo s in *My Pictures*
it ll prompt me to whether i want to load them into the program..once there i can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow..

it also has option s to rearange the order of the slides, add music,
comments or to edit the picture..there s more feature..but, im still
learning the program..[/quote]

I had a little difficulty reading this post, so I translated it for my own benefit (and perhaps other's).

[COLOR=blue][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]"[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Since I only take pictures, I’ll use Roxio’s Photoshows to create slideshows; but there is a small yearly fee when I open the Roxio icon.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]If I have any new photos in ‘My Pictures’, it will prompt me to whether I want to load them into the program. Once there, I can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]It also has options to rearrange the order of the slides, add music, comments or to edit the picture. There are more features, but I am still learning the program."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Is this about right?

I would like to add that my efforts to create a web site along the lines of what Lair Bear has done: it has been slow and on the back burner. I have lots of pictures and ideas that would be of interest to our friends, but maybe too boring to others (such as those who follow Cruise Critic).

Meanwhile I keep watching what our bear friend and Ine have to say about Holland, our favorite country in Europe.

[quote name='12B@C']I had a little difficulty reading this post, so I translated it for my own benefit (and perhaps other's).

I would like to add that my efforts to create a web site along the lines of what Lair Bear has done: it has been slow and on the back burner. I have lots of pictures and ideas that would be of interest to our friends, but maybe too boring to others (such as those who follow Cruise Critic).
[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I know that I'm behind with all my picture loading and updates to our website...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]between the business of life and on top of that[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]the weather has been too wonderful to warrant being inside in front of a computer ...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I'm figuring when it gets a bit chillier, I will buckle down! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Hopefully you'll find some time too, when the weather outside is frightful![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='12B@C']I had a little difficulty reading this post, so I translated it for my own benefit (and perhaps other's).

[COLOR=blue][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]"[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Since I only take pictures, I’ll use Roxio’s Photoshows to create slideshows; but there is a small yearly fee when I open the Roxio icon.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]If I have any new photos in ‘My Pictures’, it will prompt me to whether I want to load them into the program. Once there, I can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]It also has options to rearrange the order of the slides, add music, comments or to edit the picture. There are more features, but I am still learning the program."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Is this about right?

Meanwhile I keep watching what our bear friend and Ine have to say about Holland, our favorite country in Europe.[/quote]

i thought i said that :D..your right though..

now, they ve add d a new feature..when you click on the Photoshow icon..and new pictures are add d automaticly..so you ll have alot of folders with new pics in them that have not yet been coverted to a slide show..it s easy enough to make one once they ve been loaded..

anytime you don t want those folders in your Photoshow file just delete them..

hi deepnine10 i hetta look at yur sugggeston an i an not ibnpresssed

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]For $40 per year you can have a 'slide show' with your pictures. The idea is to modify these with tittles and comics that are supposed to be cute. At least that is what I got out of the samples their web site showed.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]For the same price I can have a real web site. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
So, now I really want to tackle it. But, as where2next said, maybe I will wait until the weather is terrible.
Oh, you procrastinator![/FONT][/COLOR] Edited by 12B@C