Wrap, or not to wrap, that this the question!

Fashionistas I need some advice for formal nights. I have two cocktail dresses that I'm planning to wear. One is a dark pink/fushia color in satin and the other is a darker teal green satin and geogette. I have just bought some really cool shoes in silver which I hoped would work with both dresses along with some silver jewellery. My question is what colour wrap and what material would go with both dresses? Or could I skip the wrap all together?

I have a pale gold champagne colored wrap but worry about mixing metals...what do you think??? Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Skipping the wrap is a question only you can answer. Personally, I find the a/c on many cruise ships offensively cold, so I always need to have one with me. Sometimes if I get lucky, the keep the temp above freezing level.

With fuschia and teal dresses worn with silver shoes, I'd go with a something that has some silver metallic in it. One that is mostly a metallic would be pretty - if it's warm enough, or perhaps something with a very, very lightweight pale neutral cashmere or pashmina that has silver threads, or beading on it.

If you feel a sheer fabric is enough for you to keep the chill factor away, then a sheer dove grey with some silver threads, or some white, silver or pewter toned pearl trim would be lovely too.

Dove gray or cream color would be nice with both dresses. I like the idea of one with a bit of silver thread in it. About "mixing metals" -- have you thought about a multi-metallic shoe? I got some sort of like this, and they have solved a multitude of problems for me!

I've never really needed a "wrap"---it's a pain to carry around, and sort of "hides" your pretty dress! The public areas aren't THAT chilly!!!!

Ditto. I've always taken them and just carried them around.

Thank you all for the suggestions... I like the idea of the dove grey or oyster neutral with siver threads. Also the pewter accents sounds interesting especially since I snagged a Laura Merkin clutch on ebay last night and it's a gunmetal color. I'm not sure whether it will make it on the cruise as I'm not sure it will go with the heels but I couldn't resist it.

This is my problem I love individual pieces but am not good putting them all together so I never look completely polished!!!

I've been in Macy's, Bloomingdales and Marshalls today and could not find any wraps that were suitable. Anybody have links for online stores that do wraps/shawls etc.

BTW...I love those mixed metal shoes I can see how those give you a multitude of options.

Thanks again,

Thank you all for the suggestions... I like the idea of the dove grey or oyster neutral with siver threads. Also the pewter accents sounds interesting especially since I snagged a Laura Merkin clutch on ebay last night and it's a gunmetal color. I'm not sure whether it will make it on the cruise as I'm not sure it will go with the heels but I couldn't resist it.

This is my problem I love individual pieces but am not good putting them all together so I never look completely polished!!!

Glad you liked my suggestions.

One way to see if things work together is to put the dress on a floor, and then place all the accessories on top of it. If all the colors make a pleasing palate, you're good to go (colorwise). If anything doesn't work, it'll stand out.

This is what stylists do for fashion shoots before putting the outfit on a model.

I've been in Macy's, Bloomingdales and Marshalls today and could not find any wraps that were suitable. Anybody have links for online stores that do wraps/shawls etc.

Thanks again,

Let Google and Froogle be your friend.

Here's one that I found in about one second. I'm sure you could find many a lot nicer with about a 5 minute search.

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=38450&c=0&i=243969898

Glad you liked my suggestions.

One way to see if things work together is to put the dress on a floor, and then place all the accessories on top of it. If all the colors make a pleasing palate, you're good to go (colorwise). If anything doesn't work, it'll stand out.

This is what stylists do for fashion shoots before putting the outfit on a model.

Let Google and Froogle be your friend.

Here's one that I found in about one second. I'm sure you could find many a lot nicer with about a 5 minute search.

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=38450&c=0&i=243969898

Thank you Jane110, I loved your suggestions and that's a great idea re. laying them out. I'm going to start searching for that wrap...I did come across that one you posted when I searched and was thinking that might work.... I think the scary manequin put me off!!!

Thanks again,

OK...do you think these wraps will go with both dresses...any favorite?They come in oyster or silver gray with silver accents. I included a pic of one of the dresses the other dress is a similar style but in a dark pink satin. I feel pathetic, shallow and indulgent for spending so much time obsessing over this...but what the heck it beats cleaning the house and gets me in that vacation mood!!!.

375_Pearl_ZOOM.jpg.9a5f8f357541d7fff1a303c9cfd949b8.jpg

375_Silver_ZOOM.jpg.e4c528150a14e3cd34834a672fb823dc.jpg

359_Silver_ZOOM.jpg.0c96332dd3623c859cd06b705393ddc9.jpg

483992_fpx.jpg.dac208613542ec3243530f9a59831d47.jpg

OK...do you think these wraps will go with both dresses...any favorite?They come in oyster or silver gray with silver accents. I included a pic of one of the dresses the other dress is a similar style but in a dark pink satin. I feel pathetic, shallow and indulgent for spending so much time obsessing over this...but what the heck it beats cleaning the house and gets me in that vacation mood!!!.

Eureka, you've FOUND it! Perfect! Since I'm ALWAYS chilly I LOVE wraps and have several in different colors. I never leave the house without one of my trusty wraps in tow...they're lightweight...not like you're toting around a kid!

Life is more fun when we allow ourselves to be "shallow and indulgent" :D.

Thank you Jane110, I loved your suggestions and that's a great idea re. laying them out. I'm going to start searching for that wrap...I did come across that one you posted when I searched and was thinking that might work.... I think the scary manequin put me off!!!

Thanks again,

Oh great. Glad to help!:)

You're right, it is the awful mannequin that put me off. The shawl itself is quite basic and would work with both your dresses.

If you're handy, you could even buy some little faux pearls or beads and sew a little cluster of them on both ends for a little visual interest, as well as to add a little weight to the bottom edges so it isn't so "fly-away" when you wear it.

Edit: just saw the ones you found and posted...

Nice choices. I like the first one the best.

Archived