is there such a thing as a group discount?

punkmuse

I don't think so. I think groups are usually 8 to 10 cabins at least to qualify for any kind of group rate.

Some travel agents will have a block of 50 or 100 cabins and that would also qualify for a group rate. That's how some TAs are able to give better fares than others.

For our one family cruise, we had over 100 people, did get a couple of cabins free, and saved bunches on the excursions with so many folks. On any given excursion there was usually at least 50, so the tour operators were very willing to discount.

Just my limited experience, someone else may be able to give you better numbers.

I looked into this last year. I called my travel agent and I think she said if you book 5 cabins, the 6th is free. Or as an alternative, all cabins can be discounted equally, but the final savings would be the price of one cabin, double occupancy. The category of the free cabin would be whatever was the majority of the cabins you pay for. But I'm not certain it was 5 cabins . . . :confused: :confused: :confused: . . . could have been 8. It was awhile ago. But call your travel agent if you're interested.

Punkmuse - any chance you could talk a few other others into cruising with you to get the discount?

seems like we are gonna be out of luck. we will either have 3 or 4 cabins. i imagine 3 as my nephews i dont think will be old enough to get a cabin of their own (they will be 8 and 10 i believe)

im not sure if other family members are invited. my parents are paying and its basically them and their children, and their childrens' families.

ive thought about asking my mom about inviting other family members and obviously having them pay their own way. for a discount it would be worth it!

It probably differs between cruise lines.

I've just booked our 2nd group cruise with Carnival. With 8 cabins booked you get one guest free (not cabin). Then you get onboard credits or gifts (they use a point system, you buy gifts or onboard credits with the points earned from booking the group) depending on the length of cruise, etc.

It's cheaper once you add up all discounts and onboard credits, but we usually do it just because we enjoy cruising with everyone.:)

Archived