To Eat or NOT to Eat? That is the question.

franu

We wiill be in major cities and smaller cities in Argentina and Brazil. I have read many warnings about eating uncooked fruits and vegetables. Am I flirting with trouble if I choose to eat raw vegetables in Buenos Aires or Rio? Will it be a problem in Iguassu Falls? I believe we will be at the Sheraton.

I don't intend to eat anything uncooked in the Amazon or Recife. Please share your experiences with me. Should I just eat my fresh veggies on board the ship and leave the adventures to the places we will see.

Fran

Good question.

I hope we get some SA veterans to let us all know the basic rules of thumb.

I am an adventurous person, and I have eaten all over mexico, and if you are smart and eat at the right kind of places, nobody in my group has had a problem. I never eat from street vendors for example.:D

jc

At first class restaurants and hotels you should not have a problem with food. I have spent a lot of time in Brazil and never had a problem. Stick to either bottled water or sodas or beers though. Don't drink from the tap, esp. in Brazil. Try an Antartica Guarana instead!

I just got back from a week in Buenos Aires, and had no problems with eating salad or fruit. I think BA is fine at any mid-level and above establishement. At the Falls, eating anything at the Sheraton would be ok, not sure about local dining establishments.

Thanks for relieving my mind about food in SA. It seems that the beverages are more problematic than the food. I usually drink Club Soda or Seltzer at home and bottled carbonated mineral water when travelling. Having read about unscrupulous vendors refilling mineral water bottles with water of unknown origin, I know that they are unable to carbonate it unless they have the proper facilities so I stick with the carbonation.

I will also stick to the better restaurants even though my curiousity would like to be able to taste the street food. That is something that I did in my youth. Oh! my goodness, where did my youth go to?

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Chile 3 times and Argentina twice and not only cruise vacations. i have taken some road trips through both countries and have never had a problem with eating the food anywhere including salads, fruits, meats and seafood. Just use common sense just like in the states. if it smells like sour milk it's probablly is sour. Try the seafood empanadas and the Curanto in Puerto Montt. It's all better food than you will find on the ship and generally inexpensive too.

flifish,

Thanks for the recommendations. We will not be travelling to the western side of SA as we are doing Antarctica & The Amazon. I certainly will take your suggestions regarding Argentina.

Unfortunately, my DH passed away last Sunday. I will not make a decision about going for at least another week. My mind is numb.

Fran

Fran, I am sorry to hear of your loss.:( A few years ago, a lady who was on our cruise to Hawaii lost her husband about one month before sailing. She was financially well off and I encouraged her to take the trip. We had a good cruise critic contingent from our roll call, and everyone included her as part of their group. She had a wonderful time. Life is for living, and I hope you can continue to travel and do the things that make life interesting and worthwhile.:)

jc

Archived