Garden Villa

SeattleMother

Yes it has 2 master baths. In the pics below, the 1st one is the back master bath, the 2nd is the middle bath, and the 3rd is the front master bath. The 2 masters have a jetted tub and a separate shower also.

Wow, the pictures of the bathrooms are amazing. The room (cabin) must be exceptional. I am so envious.

Value points? can anyone tell me what that means?

Dane, which of the two master bed rooms/baths did you like the most and why? I think I'll just let my parents pick which they want and I'll take the other... I'm thinking either is nice.

The poor girls, they get stuck in the middle (I say in jest!)

We had the front master. I prefered some things on the front and some on the back.

The Front Master Bedroom/Bath

Corner Jetted Tub - Pro

Largest shower - Pro

More Counter Area - Pro

Largest Window Area - that's a push. It's wonderful to look out at the pool area during the day, BUT be sure to use the blinds or everyone on the pool deck will be watching you.:eek: That is probably the biggest con of the front bedroom.

Bed faces the port side. It's wonderful to wake up and to look out at the water from bed but I like the motion of the ship and I prefer the side to side roll of the ship. You don't really feel that in the bed.

The back master offers that, as the bed faces aft.

The back master.

The biggest pro is the sliding door from the bedroom that goes directly to the lower deck.

Value points? can anyone tell me what that means?

Its a point at which a trade has value, can apply to anything.

In this case for example trading an AB for a second room on jewel class has lower value point than trading an AB for the second master suite on the other ships.

the other common use would be the $ value point of any usell.

AE -> AD for us this has a higher value point in terms of $ we would pay than the AE -> AC trade(which is probably less than zero).

OK, I think I have the point thing... it is your analysis of the "trade."

OK Dane, can you help me, I keep hearing front and back bedroom and I'm confused. I know there are three: back, middle, front

Back is a full master with master bath w/ sliding door that goes out onto the deck (I assume that is the deck with the hot tub). What is "back" in relation to? Sorry to be confused, I'm trying to visualize. I assume there is one door you enter 14500 from, is it closer or further from there? closer or further from the big living room windows that overlook the pool area?

Middle I understand is like an AC, and is of course between the two masters.

Front has larger windows and overlooks the pool area? (so I guess is closer to the living room windows that overlook the pool?) has a corner tub that is better than the Back master bath tub... because?? has more counter space and has a larger walk in shower.

OK Dane, can you help me, I keep hearing front and back bedroom and I'm confused. I know there are three: back, middle, front

Back is a full master with master bath w/ sliding door that goes out onto the deck (I assume that is the deck with the hot tub). What is "back" in relation to? Sorry to be confused, I'm trying to visualize. I assume there is one door you enter 14500 from, is it closer or further from there? closer or further from the big living room windows that overlook the pool area?

Front has larger windows and overlooks the pool area? (so I guess is closer to the living room windows that overlook the pool?) has a corner tub that is better than the Back master bath tub... because?? has more counter space and has a larger walk in shower.

Maybe it would help to see a video? I have a 6 min video that I made when we arrived. If you send me your email addy I'll try to send it to you. As long as you promise to turn the sound off.:o I sound like a dork. my email is lbennett @ kirbyrisk dot com.

The front master is next to the living room and the master bath faces forward, overlooking the pool deck. The back master bedroom faces aft. When you enter the villa, the door is between the back master and the middle bedroom. When you enter, if you turn right and go down the hallway (going forward) you go to the middle bedroom, front master and the living room, dining room and the bar area. If you enter and turn left down the hallway (going aft) you go to the back master and the deck with the hot tub.

I attached a couple more pics. 1st is the tub in the back master, 2nd is the tub in the front master and 3rd is the back master looking out sliding door.

P2210052.jpg.4d0489fe82952cf63ad7490179fe0ec5.jpg

P2210034.jpg.f9e425c13976aa062fce3ecb3a166253.jpg

P2210056.jpg.b7469c28cf83bafc54d5dd0bee3762b2.jpg

Take a look at the deck plan for Star 14500.

Living room is where the 14500 label is -- faces forward; overlooks pool. Counter-clockwise: Master bedroom 1, middle bedroom (like AC), Master bedroom 2 (faces aft, opens to patio).

The light-blue part is the hallway that runs the length of the 3 bedrooms. The main entry is between middle & back bedrooms (or at least nearest to middle). Back bedroom is farthest from living room.

Front is the 'master' master bedroom. The bath mostly looks out over the water.

That being said, my favorite 'master' bedroom is #2. I feel as though I have more privacy in the bath -- not as concerned with the blinds being 'just so.' Also, the walk-in closet has more room and has a more open layout. I love being next to the patio via the sliding glass door. There's also a regular door to the hallway.

Hope this helps

Barb,

We figured the same thing out YEARS ago and always automatically take the back MBR. We took the front on the Star once at Xmas 2003 and, on the Dawn and the Star always took the back ever after--for the same reasons as you--that's about 7 times. We've only been in 14000 once, on the Dawn, but usually in 14500 on either ship. Next summer we do a B2B and have to switch from 14500 to 14000 between cruises! We'll FINALLY have the butler pack and unpack us--to move us from one side to the other!

I think between all of you I might actually have this figured out. I still think I'll let my parents pick which they would like. Would you think one is more quiet than the other?

My dad was actually awakened by my pet hamster as a kid... he (the hamster) had escaped from his cage, made it to my parents bed room and was crewing off the tassels from the bed spread to make his little "nest" in the corner. (I'm sure my mom was thrilled.) The sound of the hamster doing this actually woke up my Dad!

Maybe that is where I get it from, I too am a light sleeper. I am one who always packs my little white noise maker with me! Even camping!

Barb,

We figured the same thing out YEARS ago and always automatically take the back MBR. We took the front on the Star once at Xmas 2003 and, on the Dawn and the Star always took the back ever after--for the same reasons as you--that's about 7 times. We've only been in 14000 once, on the Dawn, but usually in 14500 on either ship. Next summer we do a B2B and have to switch from 14500 to 14000 between cruises! We'll FINALLY have the butler pack and unpack us--to move us from one side to the other!

Well, you have to try the forward MBR at least once.

I think this is the first time I've heard that a butler provided the packing/unpacking service. But, in your particular case, it made sense!;)

I think between all of you I might actually have this figured out. I still think I'll let my parents pick which they would like. Would you think one is more quiet than the other?

My dad was actually awakened by my pet hamster as a kid... he (the hamster) had escaped from his cage, made it to my parents bed room and was crewing off the tassels from the bed spread to make his little "nest" in the corner. (I'm sure my mom was thrilled.) The sound of the hamster doing this actually woke up my Dad!

Maybe that is where I get it from, I too am a light sleeper. I am one who always packs my little white noise maker with me! Even camping!

I would definitely let them choose -- they may be less likely to complain if they're the ones that selected their BR.:)

All BR's are quiet. Do you think you'll spend more time outside on the patio (near MBR2) or the living room (MBR1)?

I still suggest MBR2 for them.

Since we are talking ALASKA I'm thinking we will spend more time inside in the living room, but outside for sightseeing sometimes... I'm thinking we won't be out there all day, reading a book or enjoying meals... too cold. But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I do hope we have some decent weather so we can enjoy the outside part. Think it will be too windy?

Since we are talking ALASKA I'm thinking we will spend more time inside in the living room, but outside for sightseeing sometimes... I'm thinking we won't be out there all day, reading a book or enjoying meals... too cold. But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I do hope we have some decent weather so we can enjoy the outside part. Think it will be too windy?

I'd forgotten you were going to Alaska.:o

I've never been -- maybe someone who's been in the GV on an Alaskan cruise can chime in.

I don't remember the patio being too windy. Up top, yes! But, what a view you'll have!

Have to keep in mind we are Floridians... makes me think maybe the coat isn't overkill... but I suppose I always pack too much of something. Could be worse, last cruise someone on my roll call said she was packing something like 8 pairs of shoes and 6 purses! :eek:

What's wrong with 8 prs shoes? and you need color-co-ordinated purses to go with your outfits. Can't have all these strangers looking at you funny, right?

I suppose as long as you don't have to lug the bags full of all that stuff around... nothing... but my reality includes the packing, unpacking, and helping to haul the stuff. :eek:

I suppose we could ask the Butler to unpack and pack... but I'd just as soon not have them packing my things... if you know what I mean.

Have to keep in mind we are Floridians... makes me think maybe the coat isn't overkill... but I suppose I always pack too much of something. Could be worse, last cruise someone on my roll call said she was packing something like 8 pairs of shoes and 6 purses! :eek:

Yeah, well, that's why layering is good....like a turtleneck, followed by a fleece, topped with a Gore-tex (or similar) shell will keep you comfy into the high 30's. Look for a thinsulite hat, like a watch cap type. Arcteryx and Mountain Hardware make them. Also, some kind of gloves, thin are fine. Don't expect to wear sandals--good walking shoes and SOCKS are a must. I'm partial to Ecco shoes, but Rockport, Merrill and others make good ones.

Also, the more active you are, the warmer you'll be.

I was just out tonight running around with my new dog in the backyard, in my shirt-sleeves--and it was 38 but I had been hot. At first I was cold, even as I got active. But after a while, and after running with him and slowing down and running some more, my metabolism caught up and I wamed up, so when we came back inside, I was hot. He, with his big thick coat, was fine....

The shell is key--it blocks wind and rain, and adds another layer of dead air--the best insulator. It's amazing how a shell over even a down parka can add noticeable warmth on the coldest Northern winter day.

I was just out tonight running around with my new dog in the backyard, in my shirt-sleeves--and it was 38 but I had been hot. At first I was cold, even as I got active. But after a while, and after running with him and slowing down and running some more, my metabolism caught up and I wamed up, so when we came back inside, I was hot. He, with his big thick coat, was fine.....

I'm thinking being a northerner helps...

this FL girl couldn't take too much of 38 in just a shirt & pants...

I just got upsold to the GV. Doing my happy dance.:D

I've been reading this thread for a while and I am a relatively new cruiser and I guess I don't know the difference between an upsell and an upgrade. I keep hearing about faries and such, but could someone be my translation fairy and explain what all this good stuff means.... and congratulations to everyone who got an upsell or upgrade.... these suites sound amazing :):)

I've been reading this thread for a while and I am a relatively new cruiser and I guess I don't know the difference between an upsell and an upgrade. I keep hearing about faries and such, but could someone be my translation fairy and explain what all this good stuff means.... and congratulations to everyone who got an upsell or upgrade.... these suites sound amazing :):)

An upgrade is normally free. NCL will give you a higher catagory cabin at no charge. An upsell is not free. You can call an request a higher catagory cabin and you pay to do so. The best is to have the upsell fairy call you with an upsell. If she does so, the price difference is fraction of what the cabin would normally cost. Usually between 30% - 50% off.

TAKE THE COAT. As NPP says, there is nothing attractive about blue skin. If you are warm, take it off. if you don't have it and spend the week cold, you'll be miserable. But he's right about the layers, just since you are from florida (where my parents spent the month of march and it took two weeks for them to warm up, so it's not just alaska where it can be cold) you will need to make that several warm layers.

Plus, this is a port intensive cruise. That means you won't spend much time IN the cabin as much as looking out from the cabin...and when you get to the glacier it WILL be cold (they are made of ice, after all) and THAT's when you should be up top. There is nothing like that view if you can get close and the ship practically turns on its axis.

If you are lucky, you'll be able to spot whales and dolphins swimming around. we didn't see a single whale or dolphin in two weeks but we had spectacular weather.

For Cheryl, an UPSELL means you PAY to be upgraded to a better cabin, but perhaps LESS than what it would have cost you initially to book that better cabin straight out. An UPGRADE happens under GTY fares (and maybe in other instances) when they assign you to a higher grade cabin, but you pay for the grade you booked.

AdoptATTY, have a fabulous time. Of course bring the SHOES ---what's an outfit without SHOES???? 7 days, 8 nights, 8 prs? seems right to me -- of course, i just pack it. NPP has to LUG it :)

I spent a lot of time in the hammock up top in Alaska in September. It's not bad at all because the glass comes up pretty high around the patio and balconies. My wife is from Key Largo and she was fine spending alot of time outside, albeit with a fleece.

For the short glacier flights, 20 mins on the glacier, fleece or sweater will be sufficient unless it is completely brutal out. I was out there in a t-shirt, left all my layers in the chopper as you can see from my pic linked below. Of course, I am a big guy and better insulated than most. So YMMV.

Kamala on the Glacier

AdoptAtty, I swear I'm not thread-stalking you! ;)

AdoptATTY, have a fabulous time. Of course bring the SHOES ---what's an outfit without SHOES???? 7 days, 8 nights, 8 prs? seems right to me -- of course, i just pack it. NPP has to LUG it :)

This is, of course, payback for dragging her to Alaska (but she loved it!) and Pergamum in hard winter! (she froze her manolas there!)

Oh, the humanity!

Archived