Another Question...

Okay. Here is the next question.....

How many of you have packed a bottle of liquor in your luggage? Who has or is going to do this? If you did it, were you successful? Is there a true risk to being removed from the ship or is it more likely they will just take the bottle if found.

We are having this debate/discussion/disagreement in our house.

My thoughts are why not try it the worst that would happen is they take the bottle. My husband is more conservative and does not want to risk being removed from the ship before the vacation even starts.

Thanks for your input!!!

How many of you have packed a bottle of liquor in your luggage? Who has or is going to do this? If you did it, were you successful? Is there a true risk to being removed from the ship or is it more likely they will just take the bottle if found.

My thoughts are why not try it the worst that would happen is they take the bottle. My husband is more conservative and does not want to risk being removed from the ship before the vacation even starts.

Thanks for your input!!!

We were on the Majesty earlier this month. We were on deck 1 right after the Life Boat drill. The entire elevator lobby was full of suitcases and people opening them.... security taking the liquor bottles. We don't know what happend next... we hit the "up" button on the elevator. But we were told by others that "a couple of hundred" bottles were confiscated.

O.K. , the liquor police on these boards will be attacking you immediately!~

Just keep in mind that the scanners look for liquor bottle SHAPES. get the picture?;) Even so, the common practice is to confiscate not remove you, even though we've heard rumors, there has never been a substantiated report of removal from the ship.

I do not smuggle liquor. There has been only one person on CC who reported being denied boarding for trying to smuggle which is a very small percentage if you read on this board how many people claim to successfully smuggle. There is a better possibility you won't get back your bottle which could be an expensive lesson.

I read on the Royal Board yesterday that someone purchased the rum runners and they found them and took them away. So rather than loose the price of the liquor and the rum runners sounds like you would be better paking the bottles at least they give those back at the end of the cruise.

Thanks for your input!!!

I've been on 6 cruises so far since 2001. I always pack 2 bottles of wine in my check in baggage and have yet to have a problem. Granted, of course their always the possibility of them finding and taking the bottles. Nothing is 100%. If you are cruising during spring break I think they will be focusing more on that. And I do it not becuase of any monetary reason, I just like a particular wine that is not sold on board. I don't know why some people continue to call it smuggling. Smuggling is a illegal act, this is just a violation of company policy.

I've successfully brought liquor onboard and will likely attempt it in the future also.

If they start denying boarding, I will stop.

Me too, packed in the checkin luggage on every cruise we have been on.

Did I mention medicinal purposes!

I know people that do it every time and have never been caught. That being said I would never do it because I'm too chicken and I don't need that kind of stress at the beginning of my cruise. I love it when things go smoothly - so having my luggage in my room before dinner on sail date makes me happy at the start of my vacation. Having to go to the lobby or secret naughty room and having to produce the rule breaking bottles makes me unhappy - thus I do not bother. Course I'm not a big drinker so there you go.

I seem to do RCL during the spring the last 3 years, so I dont know that my experience is what you want, but they were taking everything during the spring break period, said too many minors on board. last spring on voyager, they didnt give us our bought liquor until the morning we disembarked.

Here is my most recent experience trying to bring alcohol on board. I was part of a group of six couples that sailed on the Adventure 3/1/09 and we tried various methods for getting alcohol on board. Here are the results of our test. Method #1. One couple had Rumrunner flasks in their checked luggage. That made it all the way to the cabin with no problem. Method #2. Two couples put bottles in their checked luggage. Here is the interesting part. The so-called naughty room did not exist. The bottles were confiscated from the checked luggage prior to the bags being delivered to the staterooms. We assumed that the bottles would be returned on the last night. They were not! The couples involved just wrote the bottles off and did not pursue why they were not returned. Method #3. One bold member of our group decided to try walking on with a bottle in his carry-on. There is a duty free shop in the terminal building in San Juan that you can access after you check in. After check-in he went to the duty free shop and purchased two bottles, a 1-quart bottle and a 1-fifth bottle. He put the quart in his carry-on and the fifth he put in his pocket. He made it on with both. After discovering this, I went off with another friend and we purchased two more quart bottles and put them in a carry-on to bring back on the ship. The bottles were spotted going through X-ray. The X-ray guy made us go have the bag more closely inspected. The inspector said “do you have alcohol in there?” We told him we did and we gave him one­ bottle. He didn’t ask if there was more. He took down my name and room # so that the bottle could be returned to me on the last night of the cruise. It was. We then walked on with the second bottle still in the carry-on.

This is the way it was on the Adventure 3/1/09. Your experience may be different.

Here is my most recent experience trying to bring alcohol on board. I was part of a group of six couples that sailed on the Adventure 3/1/09 and we tried various methods for getting alcohol on board. Here are the results of our test. Method #1. One couple had Rumrunner flasks in their checked luggage. That made it all the way to the cabin with no problem. Method #2. Two couples put bottles in their checked luggage. Here is the interesting part. The so-called naughty room did not exist. The bottles were confiscated from the checked luggage prior to the bags being delivered to the staterooms. We assumed that the bottles would be returned on the last night. They were not! The couples involved just wrote the bottles off and did not pursue why they were not returned. Method #3. One bold member of our group decided to try walking on with a bottle in his carry-on. There is a duty free shop in the terminal building in San Juan that you can access after you check in. After check-in he went to the duty free shop and purchased two bottles, a 1-quart bottle and a 1-fifth bottle. He put the quart in his carry-on and the fifth he put in his pocket. He made it on with both. After discovering this, I went off with another friend and we purchased two more quart bottles and put them in a carry-on to bring back on the ship. The bottles were spotted going through X-ray. The X-ray guy made us go have the bag more closely inspected. The inspector said “do you have alcohol in there?” We told him we did and we gave him one* bottle. He didn’t ask if there was more. He took down my name and room # so that the bottle could be returned to me on the last night of the cruise. It was. We then walked on with the second bottle still in the carry-on.

This is the way it was on the Adventure 3/1/09. Your experience may be different.

a

Do you realize you just Told RCL what to look for. Yes they monitor these boards continually.

O.K. , the liquor police on these boards will be attacking you immediately!~

Just keep in mind that the scanners look for liquor bottle SHAPES. get the picture?;) Even so, the common practice is to confiscate not remove you, even though we've heard rumors, there has never been a substantiated report of removal from the ship.

but some x ray machine/scanners can detect liquid...

They can't detect "liquid" in "any" form - just "liquid explosives" in a technology that is still being developed

The airlines can't even distinquish between a bottle of water compared to a bottle of explosive liquids. You think Royal Caribbean can?

Correct! I was referring to the airline technology currently being tried and developed - not the simple x-ray/scanner used by cruise lines. There is no way they will detect a liquid just because it is a liquid - the package is what will trigger their inspection.

Archived