pros and cons- rv rental or hotels?

myaca09

This board has been incredibly helpful. I've learned so much and have started to figure out a lot of our cruise excursions. We are doing a family vacation northbound cruise to Alaska in August,and plan to spend 5 days post cruise exploring the Kenai peninsula and Denali. I'm trying to decide between renting an rv or renting a car and staying in hotels. I do love to camp, but it's always been a lot more work than a hotel vacation. Has anybody done the rv rental? What are the cost differences between the two? I'm wondering about the price of gas. Any info, opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

We prefer our RV. I get tired of eating out. To me, it's cheaper to cook food than to eat out every night. Also, if you have kids, it is more roomy and there usually is a playground. To me, my RV is my home, unlike a hotel.

I have done both. Most often, however, the costs are more for RV rentals of less than a week, so compare what you can currently get. I prefer B&B's and all that contact with Alaska people, you don't get it in RV's. I don't do any extensive meals, and still ate out at least once/day. Don't expect any savings compared to a rental can and modest cost lodging.

IF you go with a RV, consider not getting the smallest, and go with one with a permanent lower bed. Buy double the toilet paper you think you'll need. :)

We are renting an RV this June. We saved a lot using the Toursaver book. They have a coupon in there for ABC RV Rental. If we didn't use the Toursaver book then it probably would be the same as car rental/hotel. We have figured out the cost and it is much less expensive renting the RV vs. car and hotels. We figured in the cost of the car rental, hotels, eating out (we will eat all of our dinners out still but saving on breakfast and lunches), gas (more in the RV), campground costs and there is a significant savings. Plus I like the fact of not lugging a suitcase in and out of hotel rooms each night! We know we will be going back to Alaska someday and if we don't like the RV next time we will do the car rental/ hotel route.

We rented a RV in Anchorage in 2007 for one week. Went to Denali, Kenai peninsula and the drive down to Valdez. Depending on your timing, you may need to reserve your campgrounds ahead of time as they do fill up in July-August. If you care about TV or wifi reception, don't count on it being available in any Alaska campgrounds.

We loved being able to stop by the side of the road for a picnic lunch, gazing at the beautiful scenery while sitting comfortably in our RV. But then, we own an RV that we use in the lower 48 and love that style of travel.

Price? It's not cheap. but I don't think it's necessarily mnore than staying in a nice hotel and purchasing all your meals (especially with kids).

We used Great Alaskan Holidays and found them to be very good. They offer discounts depending on the time you are going.

Also, remember that the hassle of hooking up in a campground each night is offset by not having to re-pack each morning and lug your bags out to the car.

Having said all this, we are returning to Alaska this summer and will be renting a car, staying in hotels! We will only have 5 days and it

is NOT price effective if you have less than one week.

I beg to differ that you don't get contact in a campground. I have met the most wonderful people in campgrounds. Instead of being holed up in your own room, you are sitting outside, barbequing, etc. Then, you get to meet all sorts of people!

I have done both. Most often, however, the costs are more for RV rentals of less than a week, so compare what you can currently get. I prefer B&B's and all that contact with Alaska people, you don't get it in RV's. I don't do any extensive meals, and still ate out at least once/day. Don't expect any savings compared to a rental can and modest cost lodging.

IF you go with a RV, consider not getting the smallest, and go with one with a permanent lower bed. Buy double the toilet paper you think you'll need. :)

Budget Queen- you are the BEST!!! Your wisdom is astounding:D.

Archived