Cruise Insurance

CRUISE INSURANCE COST:

I would like to make my position very clear. I am a very strong beliver in self insurance. Further more I do not wish to FLAME anyone who disagrees with me.

I have read all of the posting from people that are in favor of insurance and was completely amazed at the low rates being quoted for cruise/ cancelation insurance. i then went to the cite that was posted by one of the posters and was refered to another cite "INSURE MY CRUISE". I enter the information for my upcoming european 12 day cruise for my wife and myself.. Well my eye balls stared to roll when my computer screen poped up with the rates..

Nowhere was their a $39.00 rate per person. The lowest Package policy rate was from CSA for $221.00 for two people. The highest rate was for Medical Evacuation and the lowest rate provided by Medex of $60.00 with the highest rate being quoted by International of $256.00 . Again these numbers are for two passenger.

If you look at the $60.00 policy you are truly buying nothing as far as protection goes..

I would like to thank all of you people who provided me with the internet cites that enabled me to get actual cost of insurance. You people have proved to me that insurance is not for me.

One last point that i have not stated my family is relatively large, and If i were to take out insurance i would have to take it for seven peope and the cost of insurance gets very big.

My last comment to anybody that is considering buying insurance is "BUYER BEWARE". Before you buy know what you are buying.

NYRFan is watching with great intrest [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. Looking to "see" how much "more" information he can find out about this topic.

[I]<p style="font-family:lucida calligraphy;font-size:110%;color:black">Felix K. ~~ [email="fk89@yahoo.com"]fk89@yahoo.com[/email]</p>[/I][I]<p style="font-family: palatino linotype;font-size:120%;color:black"> Carnival Inspiration 8/97
Carnival Fascination 11/22/98, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean
Sea Princess 11/20/99, Thanksgiving ~~ W. Caribbean
Dawn Princess 11/19/00, Thanksgiving ~~ E. Caribbean
Adventure Of The Seas 11/17/01, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean
Radiance Of The Seas 6/15/02 ~~ Alaska
Radiance Of The Seas 11/23/02, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean
Monarch Of The Seas 5/8/03 ~~ W. Caribbean
Grand Princess 11/23/03, Thanksgiving ~~ W. Caribbean
Star Princess 11/28/04, ~~ E. Caribbean [/I]

CRUISINDAD:

To answer your question:

"My question regarding car insurance is not "do you
have auto insurance?" My question is "do you have
collision coverage?" (which is not mandatory) or do
you self-insure for the loss of your auto due to your
fault, which you do have control over? "

The answer is that since I am self insured I do not have collision insurance on any of my cars.

You have to understand that an insurance compnay is not in business to loss money. If you have collision insurance and you latter file a large claime the insurance company will pay the claim less any deductable, but in a very short period of time you will get a letter that they are cancelling your policy and in you live in a state that requires you to have insurance you will not be able to find another insurance company to provide you with insurance. You will then have to go into the asigned risk pool which provides you with the minimum amount of ionsurance that your state requires at 3 or 4 time the premium rate,.

Rather than expose myself to this risk, i will self insure my own cars for damage caused by my negligence.

Ewinstien. It sounds like your European cruise is an expensive vacation and include substantial air fares. The lower quoted premiums may have been for cheaper 3, 4 or 7 day Caribbean or Bahamas cruises and possibly without air.

HDAWSON:

Thank you for your reply.

I have to correct your assumtion that the rate that was quoted to me for insurance did NOT include air. I am using my Frequent flyer miles for my entire family and hence the total cost for my cruise on the Brillance of the Seas for Balcony cabins was approximately $3,500.00 per cabin.

That is my point. A three day cruise to the Bahamas can be had for $249 and seven days to the Caribbean can easily be found for $499. Huge difference in risk.

BTW. Brilliance is the prettiest ship I've been on. Great cruise in Jan/Feb.

HDAWSON

What you are saying is exactly my point.

If I am on a 3 or 4 day cruise where my cost is $249.00 or $499.00 whay would i spend $50 or $60 dollars to protect a $299.00 or $499.00 investment?

I would never buy insurance that has a risk to reward ration that small.

Not to belabor the point or split hairs, I still feel that the most important aspect of travel insurance is the possible medical expense and emergency transportation that might be involved. In that case, the risk [I]recovery[/I] aspect can be substantial. True, for simple cancellation of a $249 cruise I doubt that a good argument could be made for the purchase of insurance.

HDAWSON

If the only thing that you are concerned with is the cost of a medical emergency and the possible need for an air evacuation, then why dont you consider for around $125.00 for a full year you will be protected against any medical emergenct anywhere in the word. It also provides a death benefit and further if you or your wife is confined in a hospital out of the country for i think 3 days or more they will fly your children out to be at your bed side.

I not being a strong advocate of insurance have this policy offered by american express

With this policy you are covered for just the 3 or 4 day cruise but you are covered for a full year for any medical or dental emergency that happens to you in you are more than50 miles from your residence..

The cost of cruise insurance of one cruise will pay the premium for an entire year.

HDAWSON:

The policy that I have with American Express "TRAVEL PROTECTION both i am my wife are covered for $100,000.00 emergency Medical and dental expenses.

If you want to get additiopnal information you can call 1-800 284-5187.

I hope that i have not violated one of the rules of Cruise Critic by giving you the phone number without you asking for it.

ewinstien. As I said earlier, I am completing claim forms (now) for a cruise I was supposed to go on Apr 10th. So at least in this instance, the insurance protection paid off. I'm convinced I got sick from the recirculated cabin air on my recent trip to Vegas. Will stick with AirTran in the future. 100% fresh air in cabins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by luv2cruise0618:
Thanks to all of you who provided informative posts.
I contacted CSA and explained my situation. The Silver Plan will cover me if my brother passes even with the current knowledge of his condition. And get this the cost is only $106.
Thanks again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to help. Every plan has good and less good features. For anyone that's past that normal 7 - 21 day period to get the pre-existing condition exclusion waiver CSA should be one of the first plans looked at because you still get that coverage for pre-ex conditions for NON-TRAVELING family members no matter when you buy the plan. The trade-off is that it won't cover for pre-ex conditions for anyone in the traveling party. But for healthy travelers more worried about elderly or ill relatives that are staying home it's a good plan to keep in mind.

Archived