2010 Europe Announced

nickcapp

Many ships have been pulled from Alaska due to the authorities there wanting a per head tax on passengers from the cruise lines.... i guess you could say they have paid the price for being Greedy....:rolleyes:

so there may be no princes ships in Alaska ! and the Emerald may go to Mexico ? maybe!

Many ships have been pulled from Alaska due to the authorities there wanting a per head tax on passengers from the cruise lines.... i guess you could say they have paid the price for being Greedy....:rolleyes:

so there may be no princes ships in Alaska ! and the Emerald may go to Mexico ? maybe!

I know of only one ship that has been pulled from Alaska, and that is Serenade of the Seas. But Princess and HAL have had 8 ships each in Alaska the past few years, so it remains to be seen if they will have fewer ships there in 2010.

The $50/pp tax has been in place since the 2007 Alaska cruise season. It certainly doesn't help matters, but I don't think $50/pp is what's keeping people from booking Alaska cruises in 2009. The poor economy is hurting the travel industry just about everywhere, and not just in Alaska.

How do the prices look to all of you? A bit too high, just about right, etc.?

The prices are high compared to the 2009 Europe cruise prices now. However, I don't expect cruise lines to start out with rock-bottom prices when itineraries are first released. If the economy doesn't improve down the road, prices will drop.

Let me see if I got this all straightened out (based on Princess' Website info but overriding for the pdf's info - i.e. Star Princess). First the ship, then the "currently final" port as of website, then known voyages (plus assumptions in italics):

Caribbean: San Juan, ??????

Coral: Vancouver, Alaska?

Crown: Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in NYC)

Dawn: 100 day world cruise RT Sidney

Diamond: Vancouver, Alaska?

Emerald: Fort Lauderdale, ??????

Golden: Seattle, Alaska?

Grand: Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in FLL)

Island: Vancouver, Alaska?

Ocean: Dover, Europe (ending in Cape Town)

Pacific: Rome, Europe (ending in FLL: mid December TA!!! Awesome!!!)

Royal: Seattle, Alaska?

Ruby: Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in FLL)

Saphire: Vancouver, Alaska?

Sea: San Francisco, Alaska?

Star: (now) Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in Rio de Janeiro)

Sun: Sidney (still in P&O Australia, right?)

I know that there are 10 day Alaska cruises out of SFO so I assumed that the Sea would do those. If assuming that anything out of Vancouver/Seattle is Alaska as well, then that would be 7 ships to Alaska total, one less than this year. That sort of makes sense.

We know about the 6 ships for Europe now, the Sun is down in Australia and the Dawn (during summer 2010) is on a 100 day world cruise RT from Sidney. There's no Mexican Riviera over the summer, so that's out.

So, that leaves the CB and the KP, two of Princess' larger ships. Let the speculation run wild. One will likely continue doing the summer NYC 9 day Caribbean trips; my guess is that the Emerald will do that one.

The CB? Ok, here's the crazy part and why it is so much fun to speculate: the FIFA World Cup is June 11 to July 11 and numerous reports have placed a considerable shortage of hotel rooms for the event. There is little doubt that cruise ships will be used to supplement housing.

So, is it too much speculation to think that the Caribbean Princess would extend her Caribbean sailings from San Juan through end of May, then sail to Cape Town for about a month and a half (winter down there...), and then head back to FLL (arriving late July - mid August) for an earlier start to the Caribbean sailings from there (this year early October)? That's only about a month and a half earlier than usual and the World Cup is sure fire list price type housing...

I was prepping for my June Alaska cruise out of Seattle and noticed that in 2010 Carnival is going to start having a couple of ships cruising to Alaska from Seattle. Maybe that's part of the approach with the Star moving to Europe is Carnival is changing the distribution of all their different cruise lines and covering things that way. Just a thought.

CG

It looks like they have cut out Istanbul (unless I am missing something) and the Venice-Barcelona Grand Mediterranean itinerary for 2010.

They also "hosed" me out of the Explorer I was looking forward to. They only offer it on 2 dates - 1 is now longer requiring 3 weeks off from work & the other doesn't stop in Bruge:mad: I know Rome is a favorite, but how about a change for a change? Also, it seems like so many cruises stop in Turkey, which doesn't interest me; A bit judgemental on my part since I have never been personally, but I've heard many bad comments from others about cleanliness & such. Oh well, here's to 2011 or maybe RCL or Holland.

I was prepping for my June Alaska cruise out of Seattle and noticed that in 2010 Carnival is going to start having a couple of ships cruising to Alaska from Seattle. Maybe that's part of the approach with the Star moving to Europe is Carnival is changing the distribution of all their different cruise lines and covering things that way. Just a thought.

CG

Carnival has had only one ship in Alaska for awhile...the Spirit. What is the second ship?

They also "hosed" me out of the Explorer I was looking forward to. They only offer it on 2 dates - 1 is now longer requiring 3 weeks off from work & the other doesn't stop in Bruge:mad: I know Rome is a favorite, but how about a change for a change? Also, it seems like so many cruises stop in Turkey, which doesn't interest me; A bit judgemental on my part since I have never been personally, but I've heard many bad comments from others about cleanliness & such. Oh well, here's to 2011 or maybe RCL or Holland.

Turkey is fantastic. I don't think you should judge it if you haven't been. I was so bowled over by Istanbul and Ephesus that I am going back on my own for 2 weeks (leaving Friday!).

BTW, Turkey is very safe, the people are friendly, and insofar as I can judge, at least as clean as any other ports we visited (and cleaner than Naples by a long shot....).

You couldn't be farther from the truth. There is no way Princess, or any other major cruise line, will be pulling all their ships from Alaska.

The head tax was 2 years ago. It's been rolled into the port fees and I haven't heard a soul complaining about it at all. It's not enough of a tax for Princess to pull every one of their ships from Alaska.

Let me see if I got this all straightened out (based on Princess' Website info but overriding for the pdf's info - i.e. Star Princess). First the ship, then the "currently final" port as of website, then known voyages (plus assumptions in italics):

Caribbean: San Juan, ??????

Coral: Vancouver, Alaska?

Crown: Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in NYC)

Dawn: 100 day world cruise RT Sidney

Diamond: Vancouver, Alaska?

Emerald: Fort Lauderdale, ??????

Golden: Seattle, Alaska?

Grand: Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in FLL)

Island: Vancouver, Alaska?

Ocean: Dover, Europe (ending in Cape Town)

Pacific: Rome, Europe (ending in FLL: mid December TA!!! Awesome!!!)

Royal: Seattle, Alaska?

Ruby: Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in FLL)

Saphire: Vancouver, Alaska?

Sea: San Francisco, Alaska?

Star: (now) Fort Lauderdale, Europe (ending in Rio de Janeiro)

Sun: Sidney (still in P&O Australia, right?)

Yes, Dawn Princess and Sun Princess are based in Sydney, with Dawn Princess doing an atw cruise from Sydney in 2010 (and 2009).

It looks like they have cut out Istanbul (unless I am missing something) and the Venice-Barcelona Grand Mediterranean itinerary for 2010.

:confused::confused:

Istanbul is offered on all the Grand Mediterranean itineraries on Ruby Princess, I believe...

Also the Venice-Barcelona Grand Med itinerary is offered 4 times on the Ruby Princess.

I won't comment on Turkey as I loved it, but to each his own. I'm also disappointed, we wanted more of the explorer cruise and the ones they have are just not great. They have some fantastic itineraries, but there is so much of the same ole same ole. I really liked the 18 day on Ocean Princess, European Rivieras and Greek Islands, but I draw the line at $5,000 US per person. Looks like we'll be doing a land trip for half the price.

[quote name='cruisemom42']:confused::confused:

Istanbul is offered on all the Grand Mediterranean itineraries on Ruby Princess, I believe...

Also the Venice-Barcelona Grand Med itinerary is offered 4 times on the Ruby Princess.[/quote]

You are correct, Isantbul is there.

[quote name='can786@aol.com']I got an e-mail listing the Europe cruises today from my TA and she said they open for booking on April 8th. Wonder which is correct???[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkGreen]Could it be that the Itineraries are being opened to Captain's Circle members on the first and to the general public on the eighth? I just saw this happen on Celebrity.

Actually, they just want to confuse me... It's not nice to confuse an old guy!

Dave[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

$5000 might seem expensive for a cruise like the 18 day TA on the Ocean, but you have to watch the refares and ask for them. Our 18 day started around that price when we first booked, but over the last year we had it refared several times and now it is below $3400.

:)

[quote name='dazee8']$5000 might seem expensive for a cruise like the 18 day TA on the Ocean, but you have to watch the refares and ask for them. Our 18 day started around that price when we first booked, but over the last year we had it refared several times and now it is below $3400.

:)[/quote]

That's more like what I would like to pay - Thanks! I'll probably put a deposit down anyway and then watch the fares. If they don't come down, we'll switch to a land trip.

[quote name='Live4Vacay']They also "hosed" me out of the Explorer I was looking forward to. They only offer it on 2 dates - 1 is now longer requiring 3 weeks off from work & the other doesn't stop in Bruge:mad: I know Rome is a favorite, but how about a change for a change? Also, it seems like so many cruises stop in Turkey, which doesn't interest me; A bit judgemental on my part since I have never been personally, but I've heard many bad comments from others about cleanliness & such. Oh well, here's to 2011 or maybe RCL or Holland.[/quote]

I would go back to Turkey in a pinch--found it very different but fascinating, beautiful and clean!! Our two stops there last summer were the highlight for us on the Grand Mediterranean cruise. Give it a try!

[quote name='cruisemom42']Turkey is fantastic. I don't think you should judge it if you haven't been. I was so bowled over by Istanbul and Ephesus that [B]I am going back on my own for 2 weeks (leaving Friday!).[/B]

BTW, Turkey is very safe, the people are friendly, and insofar as I can judge, at least as clean as any other ports we visited (and cleaner than Naples by a long shot....).[/quote]

Have a wonderful time! Thank you for the many times you've answered my questions for my upcoming trip.

Had hoped to see a ship doing Europe earlier than what's posted here and with a Cairo stop. I know, asking a lot. But don't want the small ship Holy Land cruises in summer and too much school missed for the November Egypt/Agean. So we'll stick with NCL Jade in March 2010.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]Thanks for posting this. Now I can't wait to find out where the [I]Emerald[/I] is going to be . . . Summertime out of FLL into the Caribbean [crossing my fingers], pretty please![/COLOR][/FONT]

doesn't make sense to send the Star to europe and the Emerald to Alaska/Mexico, so my guess is

1) alternating eastern/western caribbean from FLL (people have been asking for a long time for a Princess ship in the summer from FLL)

2)from NY area to eastern Caribbean (and Bermuda)

3)from San Juan

Archived