Mi Dushi vs. Jolly Pirates vs. Octopus

sanjay

just wondering if anyone has done all 3 or maybe 2 of them?

the wife and I did jolly pirates last year ... we had a great time but felt there we a little too many small kids on board for us and had a tough time in the very choppy waters of the shipwreck area (it was great tho)

next week we're in aruba again for a day ... we both love to snorkel .... we're wondering if either of the other 2 (Mi Dushi or Octopus) will be any different

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed with Jethro on Octopus last week and it was so fabulous!!! $32.50 each... we sailed at 1 o'clock and returned about 4 or 4:30... it is a sailing vessel, no motor... there were 17 of us. Children as young as 6 and Grandmas like me!! Everyone on the catamaran were repeat visitors to Octopus except us. We were the only ones from the ship. LOVED IT!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can absolutely, 100% recommend Mi Dushi. We did it two years ago as a private excursion and it was without a doubt one of the best excursions we've ever done. We saw the Jolly Pirate while we were at one of the stops and thought that it looked like they had WAY more people, over crowded almost. There was lots of room on ours - top-shelf drinks from the time we sailed and a very nice lunch. The crew were amazing - very helpful and a lot of laughs.

I have to say one of the women I was traveling with also felt a bit queasy from the chop in one particular spot. But we were sitting very forward. She moved midships and felt better after awhile.

We would have done Mi Dushi again this year on a Princess cruise but it was an excursion sold through Princess and was twice the price.

I can absolutely, 100% recommend Mi Dushi. We did it two years ago as a private excursion and it was without a doubt one of the best excursions we've ever done. We saw the Jolly Pirate while we were at one of the stops and thought that it looked like they had WAY more people, over crowded almost. There was lots of room on ours - top-shelf drinks from the time we sailed and a very nice lunch. The crew were amazing - very helpful and a lot of laughs.

I have to say that we were not crowded at all on JP. Lots and lots of room. I'm sure it depends on the day you go. The Mi Dushi boat near us was way more crowded this time. However, as you said it is now a ship's excursion through Princess, so that is probably why. JP also has an excursion through Princess, but they use a different boat for that. It has one less snorkeling stop and no lunch with the ship's tour, though.

We just returned from our cruise and went with Jolly Pirates. It was a great day, despite a rainy start. Here are our pictures of the day:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sunnyazgirl

Ahoy!

Greetings from the sunny isle!

May I inc your photos on our website?

These are great!!!

Awesome snorkel shots!

Hoping Marcia enjoyed the handling by the rope swing!

That Javier is a real charmerrr! gaaa! I love him!

Thilled to hear you enjoyed your day aboard!

C

Ahoy!

Greetings from the sunny isle!

May I inc your photos on our website?

These are great!!!

Awesome snorkel shots!

Hoping Marcia enjoyed the handling by the rope swing!

That Javier is a real charmerrr! gaaa! I love him!

Thilled to hear you enjoyed your day aboard!

C

Sure you can include my pictures. Thank you for a wonderful day. Marcia had the time of her life and my 79 yo Mom, Joan loved the rope swing!:eek::D It was a fun day for all 6 of us.:cool:

We booked Jolly Pirates on our own the last two times we were in Aruba. It is very easy to get there by bus using JP's directions. They stopped at some great snorkeling spots, had plenty to drink and a nice lunch. The crew on board is very entertaining and they put on a great show on the swing. There is never a boring minute. There was a catamaran next to where we stopped to use the swing and they were having a good time watching all of us swing off the boat and drop into the water. We were glad we were not on the catamaran watching someone else have so much fun! Even though we just did this in March, we may book again for November. We haven't booked with any other tour because we have been happy with this one.

Was Jolly Pirates a private tour or booked through a cruise line? Can anyone give me an idea of price per person and the time frame this is offered (full, or half day). It looks like something DH and I may like doing on our next cruise.

In our case the half day was available through the cruise line and the full day was reserved independently. That included lunch and the third snorkel stop. The full day may not work for you if your ship is one of those that is only in port for a short time. In that case I would reserve it through the ship. You can google their name and check out the times listed - and compare it to your port times. You will need to factor in transport time to and from their pier (allow 1/2 hour each way). Remember you must be back onboard your ship at least 1/2 hour before the listed departure time. If the time frame on their website does not work for you then check and see if it is listed in your ship's excursions.

Was Jolly Pirates a private tour or booked through a cruise line? Can anyone give me an idea of price per person and the time frame this is offered (full, or half day). It looks like something DH and I may like doing on our next cruise.

We booked both times on our own over the internet. At $50 it was about the same as the ship's tour but lasted longer and included lunch. It was easy taking the bus and we had plenty of time to get back and walk around. I agree if your ship is not there until late afternoon, you may want to book through the ship. We always try to book tours independently if possible because we want to make the most of our time on each island.

• 5 weeks later...

We have not tried the others, all of which sound like fun. I'm not sure you can go wrong. Jolly Pirates was a winner in our book!

We headed to MooMba Beach on Palm Beach for Jolly Pirates' "Sail, Snorkel, Swim, and Swing" from 9:30am to 2:30pm. You can easily get to Palm Beach via taxi for $10 or via local bus for $1.30 per person. There is a free shuttle from the ship to the cruise ship terminal. To catch a bus, simply exit the terminal, turn right, and cross the street to the Bus Terminal --- an orange building with white columns and benches. Take the #10 "Hotels" bus. Palm Beach has several stops. Get off at the Holiday Inn, walk through the lobby to the beach, turn right, walk about 100 yards to MooMba Beach. Jolly Pirate's office is just behind the large thatched roof beach bar. Check-in for Jolly Pirates was at 9am. It's $53 per person (less a 15% online booking discount) plus tip. We set sail in a pirate ship for three snorkel sites: two reefs and a WWII sunken German cargo ship. We also got to enjoy swinging off the ship into the ocean. We were fed a very tasty lunch which included pork ribs, chicken skewers, pasta salad, slaw, fried banana and a roll. The free bar offering up rum, whisky, Pirate Poisson, Pina Colada, sodas and water, was open the entire trip. Snorkels, masks, vests, and fins were provided. This is a very fun excursion for all ages. Recommended! Hint: if you are just looking for a nice beach, consider Eagle Beach which is on the way to Palm Beach.

More at: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

• 4 weeks later...

Archived