Goff's Caye ??

jacksmom09

Hi! We are tring to find something to replace Bannister Island :( and are wondering if anyone has been to Goff's Caye lately :confused: and has any reviews or pics to share!:D Or, any suggestions on what to do would be very appreciated!:)

We went a year and a half ago. DH did the snorkeling from the boat while DD and I stayed on the island. He said the snorkeling was ok. (Not as good as Roatan) and there wasn't great snorkeling off of the beach. I loved the little island. It was a great place to just relax and enjoy a sunny day. There isn't much there. There is someone selling snacks/drinks and there is a port-a-pot on the dock.

Make sure you bring whatever you will need for the day including toilet tissue. lol

My dh made fun of me for packing a few travel size rolls..............until we got to Goff's Caye and he had to use the port-a-potty.

Now, he doesn't make fun of me anymore!!!

Goff's Caye is not quite as nice as Bannister Island but we had a good time there. I liked Bannister Island much better.

We just returned and loved Goff's Caye. My 13 year old son said it was the best excursion he has ever been on. He and my husband went snorkeling and I stayed on the beach with my younger son. The staff was friendly and the Island is wonderful, very tiny, just 3 palm trees, a port-a-potty, and dock. My son and husband loved the BBQ chicken and the Belize beer they sold was really good.

It was a great day and we would definately do it again.

No chairs or umbrellas. We were just there last week--beautiful but very primitive and secluded. It is just basically a strip of sand in the middle of nowhere. Our snorkling excursion took us there for about an hour-not sure I could spend all day there.

We were there a year ago and it was beautiful. Very small but also very few people. We all thought the snorkling off island (from the boat was better than we saw in Roatan although that was from the shore). The snokling from the shore was nothing spectacular as far as fish go but there was a lot of cool coral and the water was very clear. I did not even my the port o pot!! The best view I ever saw exiting a port o pot!:D

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Carnival Goff Caye excursion last week and we were disappointed. The island itself is beautiful and the grilled food and local beer was great, but the snorkeling was a disappointment more because of the way it was handled and not the conditions. We had two boats jammed with people from the Valor on the island. About half of the people decided to snorkel off of the boat and about half from the shore. Both groups ended up at the same place! it was very frustrating with 100 people all thrashing about in the same area. Most of the time all we could see was bubbles from the fins in front of us.

I did manage to see some nice stuff, including a pair of cuttlefish, but when i did i was yelled at by the tour folks to get back with the group.

Carnival%20Valor%2004192009%20493.jpg

Carnival%20Valor%2004192009%20471.jpg

• 6 months later...

If u love snorkling and u have to chose between goffs and banister. Goffs wins hands down. Its isn't that big 100 feet by 100 feet. The size also depends on the current. Once there go to the right of the dock and swim back to where the rougher water is. Its only a small area but thats about it maybe 100 feet long . There is not much coral to be seen there. Its 250 meters away to the left of the dock but they wont let u swim there its too far they say . Not to far for me. But. That's about it. If u want u can go over to the turtle grass 50 meters to the right of the dock and look for nurse sharks. And there are hermit crabs eveywhere.

Not to crash in on your post, but I can answer your question about the sharks and turtles. Nurse sharks are a bottom-dwelling species, the ones you could see would be 4-6 feet about. They are completely harmless so no need to worry. In regards to turtle grass, it is named after the green sea turtles that eat it, so the potential to see them is there, but it's not likely.

In regards to the beaches/snorkeling- where's the best place to see healthy coral? I assume not Bannister or Goffs due to the amount of visitors. Would it be the Split at Caye Caulker?

Not to crash in on your post, but I can answer your question about the sharks and turtles. Nurse sharks are a bottom-dwelling species, the ones you could see would be 4-6 feet about. They are completely harmless so no need to worry. In regards to turtle grass, it is named after the green sea turtles that eat it, so the potential to see them is there, but it's not likely.

In regards to the beaches/snorkeling- where's the best place to see healthy coral? I assume not Bannister or Goffs due to the amount of visitors. Would it be the Split at Caye Caulker?

Thanks for the info. Hubby will love seeing sharks.

If thinking about water taxis, read blessedwith12's review about her water taxi experience when she was on the Legend in November. It justified to me staying with the cruise ships' excursions.

Archived