Are Serving Size Getting Smaller: Observation not Judgement Please

We noticed that portion size was smaller on the Mariner last week. In general we thought this to be a good thing.

Smaller portions in the MD was a good thing for us. we like trying different things so it allowed us to order apps ans soups and salads and entrees. Otherwise who could eat all that!!

Yes.

Some of the dishes are now being served in smaller portions. I think that this is generally a good thing, since you can always order more, but food that is served and not eaten goes to waste.

:)

Anything wasted is an expense and so our cruise fares or &/other costs go up to compensate..

I prefer smaller portions, those who want more can order more and so, as u state, less waste..Seems delightfully logical to me! :)

Have happy cruisin'!

Just a thought..... are the plates bigger making the portions look smaller? ;)

They had plates the size of troughs at the buffet. This is an area smaller plates could work miracles for saving on food. For the MDR, there just wasn't enough on the plate for this growing girl. Maybe it's time to extend my dining experience to incorporate a few more courses, even dessert:p

No, I haven't noticed a significant decrease in serving size. Some dishes have seemed a tad smaller, but not all that much. Perhaps the cruise lines are starting to decrease portion sizes so as to minimize food waste? Unlike land-based restaurants, we can't easily ask for "a doggie bag" to store leftovers in our cabin for tomorrow. I'm guessing they'd rather have people ask for seconds than throw away the leftovers from large portions. Personally, I don't see anything weird or embarrassing about ordering double portions if that's what you want.

It wouldn't hurt for the cruise lines to adopt what so many restaurants in the US have finally come to see as a good thing: Multiple portion size options. We're big on the tapas ("small plates") style of eating because we can have some of many things, rather than a giant plate of one item. It's so great to find menus where there are items with portion choices such as "regular," small" or "light" (dumb word for it, but whatever), and "generous" or "hearty." That gives everyone the chance to order the amount of food they prefer without any fuss. Obviously, we don't care for the super-sizing of portions (and the increased cost that goes with it) because we're usually stuck with far more food than we can comfortably eat and yet, we hate to be wasteful. But we also don't look down on anyone who has a hearty appetite and who does enjoy a larger amount. As long as you eat the food you order, why should anyone criticize? (It's the people who load their buffet plates to overflowing, take one bite of each thing, and then leave the rest to be thrown away who tick me off!)

No worries; you won't get any judgment from me. There's no reason you should feel "bad" or need to justify what you enjoy or how much you enjoy it. But, I have to admit that I'd rather have portion sizes be such that you do need to order double portions of what you like. IMO, that's better than having the regular serving size be twice as much with more of it being not finished (and thus, wasted). I've never questioned anyone with a hearty appetite. We're all different. We enjoy different foods and preparations. No reason we all shouldn't have different overall food needs and preferences. And especially on vacation, some of us (that would include me, although not so much my DH) tend to let ourselves splurge on extra food and drink.

I say, order what you like and never be concerned about saying, "I'd like a double portion, please." (Besides, that way you can order more of what you really, really enjoy without having to order more of everything.)

beachchick

Great post BeachChick - as usual!

I so agree - excellent suggestion - simply ordering a 'double' portion initially! :)

Have happy cruisin'!

I think one of the problems with ordering more than one entree when you're at a table with strangers is people 1) are embarrassed and B) don't realize it's fairly common practice on a cruise.

On the first night of a recent cruise, a friend was having trouble deciding which dessert to get. I said, "You're on a cruise. Order as many desserts as you want." "Oh I can't do that." "Yes you can!" No one did. But after repeating it again the 2nd night slowly but surely everyone started doing it on a regular basis.

I, on the other hand, was trying to avoid desserts at all costs. Thank God everyone had two so I could do a lot of "tasting." I probably tasted the equivalent of a whole dessert...but it was like a tasting buffet! :)

Are the food portions enough for someone who can eat A footlong Subway sub with chips in 15 minuites? Are the food portions enough for someone who can eat a burger & 10 Chicken nuggets with fries in 15 minuites? I hope so!

Texas Teen, my three sons ordered a steak in addition to their regular entree each night. After the second night, the waiter would just ask "How would you like your steak and what would you like for your entree?" There were some nights they even ordered a third! No worries... you can also order off the child's menu. I am pretty sure they have chicken nuggets and fries. There is always room service. You won't go hungry!!

I think one of the problems with ordering more than one entree when you're at a table with strangers is people 1) are embarrassed and B) don't realize it's fairly common practice on a cruise.

On the first night of a recent cruise, a friend was having trouble deciding which dessert to get. I said, "You're on a cruise. Order as many desserts as you want." "Oh I can't do that." "Yes you can!" No one did. But after repeating it again the 2nd night slowly but surely everyone started doing it on a regular basis.

I, on the other hand, was trying to avoid desserts at all costs. Thank God everyone had two so I could do a lot of "tasting." I probably tasted the equivalent of a whole dessert...but it was like a tasting buffet! :)

I was discussing this thread last night with my GF as we watched the CNBC show. She mentioned to me that on the first cruise she didn't know it was ok to order anything and everything she wanted. But on the other cruises she knows she can do what she wants. I think its a matter of information and the knowledge that it really is accepted practice.

We sure don't over eat and have only gained weight on the first cruise, but being comfotable to order what you want is something everyone should feel.

No, I really haven't noticed the portion sizes getting smaller. They have always been on the small side, but personally I would rather have a smaller appetizer and entree and have room for dessert! :D

The idea of different portion sizes is GREAT!

Can we have "try it" size, "as an appetizer" and then the entree sizes?? Happy to help cut down on waste by right-sizing.

Dangit, I'm getting hungry!

I don't recall the poster, but I would never be embarrassed to order more. If anyone wants to look down their nose at me for asking for more food, Let Them. I don't cruise to fit anyone's image of how a petite woman should eat. Not there to impress, either. Not like I'm using my hands and licking the plate or forking food off of their plates.

For me, enjoying the food is part of what makes a cruise great. I do like to stop short of gluttony :eek:

The idea of different portion sizes is GREAT!

Can we have "try it" size, "as an appetizer" and then the entree sizes?? Happy to help cut down on waste by right-sizing.

Dangit, I'm getting hungry!

I don't recall the poster, but I would never be embarrassed to order more. If anyone wants to look down their nose at me for asking for more food, Let Them. I don't cruise to fit anyone's image of how a petite woman should eat. Not there to impress, either. Not like I'm using my hands and licking the plate or forking food off of their plates.

For me, enjoying the food is part of what makes a cruise great. I do like to stop short of gluttony :eek:

Some of the desserts are plate licking good though. Even if we would only do it had it been room service.:D

I havent noticed any size difference to be honest, but if some do, just opt for another entree if your still hungry. Me - I usually only eat one since I eat so much bread before my entree...Man I love the bread they make..!!!:p

My experience has been that there aren't fewer courses - the listing style has merely changed. All of the salads/soups/appetizers are in one list, but I just order as many of those as I wish.

IMO, if the listing style has changed, that means that the number of courses has changed. It has to do with the timing/rhythm of the meal. On Celebrity, they have five courses. If anybody at the table skips one of the courses (say the salad), they wait while the rest of the table eats their salads. RCCL now has a three-course meal, meaning there are three service slots. The first course includes items known to be appetizers AND soups AND salads, but they are combined into one course. Yes, you can order more than one, but the wait staff then has to fit it into the pacing of the meal (I'm not suggesting that is a reason NOT to do it...) rather than already having a designated slot.

I am thrilled with smaller portions, though, so that I have ROOM to try more different things. I can't tell you how many times on a cruise that I've skipped entrees and desserts entirely because I wanted to order MANY of the appetizers/soups/salads and simply didn't have room after that...

My experience has been that there aren't fewer courses - the listing style has merely changed. All of the salads/soups/appetizers are in one list, but I just order as many of those as I wish.

There are ten entrees on this menu - nothing to complain about there, I think!

2653846110077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Does anyone know why they eliminated the alternative menu? Before they always gave you alternative choices, but now they only list alternative vegtables, Baked Potato, Mashed or rice?

Just an observation.. the OP asked if portions were smaller relative to what used to be served, not if the portions were big enough. I think everyone would agree that the definition of satisfying portions are in the eye of the beholder.

Just an observation.. the OP asked if portions were smaller relative to what used to be served, not if the portions were big enough. I think everyone would agree that the definition of satisfying portions are in the eye of the beholder.

I thought the serving sizes on my last three RCCL cruises were plentiful. I have not noticed a drop in portions. A fine restaurant should not fill a plate full, anyway. I never finish what is on my plate. ;)

Archived