Royal Caribbean Curfew for teens

Jen87

The curfew may not be announced but it is written on the front page of the Compass.

DecafMom - My kids sound like yours.LOL We don't let them sleep all day, so they are ready for bed around midnight once our busy day is over.

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

My thoughts on the topic.....

Although thier are a few teenagers who run amock at night, shall we look at the kids who do not cause trouble late at night. As a teen my self most of the kids staying up late do not cause trouble. Alot of the time we sitted on deck chair and talked, mabey going to get something to eat. We thought it was fun (you probally remember this from when you were kids) to stay up later than your normally allowed to and see the ship so quiet. Sometimes we would go to the front of the ship and look at the stars, not causing trouble. Although their are a few disrespectful teens it dosent meen that evrey teen thay stays up after 1 am has parents that dont care about thier kids. I do not have a curfew on the ship but I have a 9:30 curfew at home and get stait A's in my academics subjects, Altough I do need to call in and check with my parents I think there is no need for teens who do not cause trouble.

Why dont we make a new rule 1am curfew for teens who do usually cause troubal :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jen87:

well I don't think it is a very good idea, my curfew isnt even 1 at home why should I have to go back to my room early on MY vacation?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOUR vacation? Are you paying for it? It would seem to me that it is your parents vacation and they are nice enough to bring you along. That being said, I feel that it is up to your parents to decide your curfew. If they say 3am, then that's fine, but they should also be held accountable for your actions, should you cause any problems.

I'll be taking my sons who will be ages 14 & 16 along on our next cruise, and I promise you, they will have a curfew, whether or not there is one shipwide.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. Let the parents choose the curfew. If you think that 1 am is way too late for your child, so be it, and make their curfew earlier. But, if you think 1 am is too early, you should able to set a later curfew. Regardless, the parent has to be held responsible for their childs actions, before and after 1 am.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

News Flash - You're not the only one on vacation. Everyone deserves a good time, and if ANYONE is disturbing passengers and crew after 1:00 a.m., damaging property, openly drunk or disorderly, etc., RCCL is well within their rights to haul them back to their cabin, kick them off the ship, charge them for damages, whatever. Their ship - their rules.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't get what you are saying here Starfish8 - because I agree with you that if ANYONE is disturbing anyone, RCCL should be able to punish them. However, being outside of your cabin past 1 and "damaging property, openly drunk or disorderly," are two completely different things. Just because someone is outside past 1 am it doesn't mean that they are misbehaving.

Like I have said before, God help those here that think a curfew even applies to Europeans where the "kids" seem to get their independence at 16. There are a lot of European kids cruising now. Mixing cultures may be the "real" problem.....

I think it's down to trust and respect. My 16 year old has no curfew. Either has never been caught or has grown up to be the respectful person I have raised. At some age, you HAVE to trust your children. It's just the age differs from family to family. God Bless all of us Parents.

It was 1 pm on the Majesty a couple weeks ago...and strictly enforced.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;4;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My first balcony on the Serenade - 4/16/05!!!

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

2 Questions, I know some teens want to stay up past 1 AM.

1: What would you do with the time after 1AM?

2: Your body is still growing. You need your sleep. If you have a port call the next morning, how and when are you going to get enough sleep?

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

Some answers to your questions

1. For me it is just sitting around talking, or mabey going swimming with friends, it is just exciting being up later than you are normally allowed. (not trying to make trouble)

2. Studies show that teenagers should get about 8 1/2 hours of sleep but......because of hormones their body does not realease the chemicals to get tired unitil later. (althought sometimes you will get tired but it is still fun). What I would recommend is seeing the port later and not try and get the first tender off. We are not usually on the Island the whole time, but some people might want to set curfews to people who have early exscursions

I think another problem is typically Americans tend to dine early and go to bed early. As Brits (now US citizens) we have noticed that for many years. I'm not trying to stereotype but this is from my own personal experience.

On the ship, we ourselves are not in bed till 2am at the earliest. - And we are still up around 7am - 8am most days.

Typically when our British friends come around, 2, 3 or 4am evenings are not uncommon (we don't get together till 8pm, 9pm or 10pm). However, our AMerican friends tend to leave early and expect to start around 6pm, 7pm, 8pm!!

Perhaps that's the reason a 1am curfew seems more common in the American mind-set.. Dunno, just a thought. If I was to set a curfew, it would not be before I went to bed, i.e. 2am - for the kids - on Vacation. At home, my kids are abed by 10pm on school nights - and I meand "in bed"..

Well here in America...our work week, for many, tends to be 9-5 or there bouts...what time to these Brits go to work??? I wish I could stay up late like I did as a kid...but I'm on a cycle...I get up early and see my first patient at 7:30 in the morning...and head to bed around 9 pm during the week so I can be up around 5:30 am...I find it hard to break out of that cycle...even on the weekend...even on a cruise...up early...to bed early...I try so hard to stay up so I don't miss anything.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;4;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RcclPrincessCruiser:

Some answers to your questions

1. For me it is just sitting around talking, or mabey going swimming with friends, it is just exciting being up later than you are normally allowed. (not trying to make trouble)

2. Studies show that teenagers should get about 8 1/2 hours of sleep but......because of hormones their body does not realease the chemicals to get tired unitil later. (althought sometimes you will get tired but it is still fun). What I would recommend is seeing the port later and not try and get the first tender off. We are not usually on the Island the whole time, but some people might want to set curfews to people who have early exscursions<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your answer is very well constucted, and I agree with most of it with several reservations:

1. Just sitting around talking is great.

2. But then when do you get your 8 1/2 hours? The port call times are generally fixed. So, getting off the ship after 8.5 hours of shut eye, get you off the ship at what time? Even if you go to bed at 1AM and fall asleep by 1:30, you would have to sleep until 10 AM. Then you need to bathe and have breakfast. OK, let's say you are super speedy and you are off the ship by 11;30. Many port calls require you to be back on board by 4:30. That gives you a grand total of 5 hours. That assumes a lot of hurry and either skipping lunch or eating ashore. Now, if you stay up even later, say 3 AM that would allow a whopping 3 hours of shore time.

3. If you run into trouble, your parents would need to be awakened to deal with it. Most parents aren't teens any more and require some sleep too. I know that if I am awakened at 3 AM I am not my usual self and am less able to deal with problems than I would be at 3 PM.

4. Legally and morally, you are under your parents' supervision. People who are responsible for other humans should be conscious while those other humans are awake and out and about.

5. Your fellow cruisers may be trying to sleep. No matter how teens try, they never seem to be able to keep their noise to a level that would allow the adults in nearby cabins to be able to maintain their state of slumber

6. The other group of human beings that need to be considered are ship employees. They need to get at least 6 hours of sleep. Most biologically need more. The cost of having a complete security and entertainment staff available into the wee hours of the morning would drive the cost of cruising sky high.

7. One has to look at the reason why so many cruise lines have teen/underage curfews. I have personally seen vandalism that had been done by some teens on a Carnival cruise several years ago. Their excuse was that they were bored. If you are in your own cabin when that kind of trouble starts, you will not become involved.

8. Perhaps, along with the people wishing/dreaming of smoke free RCI ships, the youth (and others with later biological clocks) should lobby for a ship with later port arrival and departure times, along with later breakfast, lunch, and dinner times. They would also need later entertainment times as well. I don't know if it would fly, but it can't hurt to explore the possibilities.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

We returned from the Navigator this past saturday. No curfew was imposed. However, the book left in the room stated that if necessary a 1AM curfew will be imposed for teens. So, it sounds like it is on an as needed basis only.

Jody

sc11.gif

<A HREF="http://www.wovenwonder.com/" TARGET=_blank>My Disney Cruise

April 2002 Website</A>

Navigator of the Seas

April 24, 2004!

Wow, it seems like there are a lot of very strict parents out there, or perhaps some that just do not like children.

I was shocked at the extremism that PEGLEG went to...dropping off a kid and their party at a port because of two curfew violations is a little harsh.

Perhaps the adults simply are simply used to controling every aspect of their kids' lives?

I have a 2:00am curfew at home, and I am a good kid, with a 3.8gpa...no correlation between late curfews and bad grades. I do not bother anyone on cruiseships, and I expect the same. Perhaps the parents with such staunch viewpoints do not think that they can trust their children.

'87, I am sorry that you got such a 'parental' response from some, when you were just trying to ask a question.

Royal Caribbean New Years Mexican Rivera on Vision of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;26;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Going with us?

<link>http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=445109301</link>

18 years of age is considered adult.

(here anyways Cdn.)

I was off to University at the age of 17.

I have been thinking about this thread.In all fairness to the the older teens 16 ,17 ,18 ,19

If..their parents have done their job raising them with common sense and respect for others and themselves,they should be able to stay out as long as they wish (parents permission pervividing).

I believe my concern here is the teens that break every rule and are disrespectful of others ..In short SPOILED ROTTEN BRATS.(usually had everything handed to them on a platter..cruises included)

This is a tough one...(glad I'm not a parent)

Alaska (my BIG 50)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I am looking at the Compasses from last weeks Mariner, no where does it state that there is a curfew. Like I said earlier everything that gets beat to death on these boards, I did not experience. Frankly, this kids vs adults crap is so stupid. Everyone should do there own thing.

bensjamin3,

LMBO [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Give me Ten Teens over one cranky baby anyday.

whew! ...There.. back to normal [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Alaska (my BIG 50)
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Folgy, again I agree with you 100%. While not on vacation we work hard, while on vacation we play hard, hardly doubt we'll be awake much after 1AM [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

RECENTLY MY HUSBAND AND MY 15 YEAR OLD SON AND MYSELF(THE BALL & CHAIN) WERE ON THE MARINER....
THIS WAS OUR 1ST CRUISE AND HAD BEEN TOLD BY MANY YOU''LL JUST SEE THE KIDS HEADS. MY SON STAYED OUT THE 1ST NIGHT ONE HOUR PAST HIS TIME OF 1:00...UPON LOOKING FOR HIM WE WERE DISGUSTED AT THE AMOUNT ON KIDS THAT WERE DRUNK!!!! SO APPEARED TO NOT OF AGE...HEY I WAS SO A REBAL AT THAT AGE BUT WHERE ARE THESE PARENTS.....AFTER THAT WAS FINE JUST HAD HIM CHECK IN...AND HE DID AFTER 11:00 NIGHT FOR BADDDDD BAY.....BUT WORRIED MY HUSBAND AND I NOT KNOWING WHO ELSE WAS OUT THERE.....NO CURFEW FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!BUT GOING BACK JUNE 2005 WAS REALLY A GREAT CRUISE AND HE E-MAILS ALL THE KIDS HE MET...GOOD KIDS...

PhoenixCruiser

I am in the bag about 11.pm on the ship.Thats as long as I last. I like to be up at 6am for breakfast on the balcony and the sound of the waves.Then a walk around the deck for my mile or so.By time I have tried to fit everything into the day I am Toast! after the theater and maybe some Kareoke or game show thingy..I drag myself back to the suite Ker-Plunk and start all over again the next day. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Alaska (my BIG 50)
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

They had it written into the schedule in the daily compass on my last cruise...1:00 pm teenage curfew...maybe they felt it needed to be enforced...because there were 800+ children on my cruise and was during the kids vacation week...I don't know.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;4;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Being 19, I know of numerous ways to obtain alcohol on land. But what I'm wondering is how in the heck are there drunk 15-year-olds on a cruise ship? What adult in their right mind would allow a 15-year-old to drink in the first place? I would think that these things would be monitored a little better.

They have someone buy it for them...you only have to be 18 to "enjoy" beer and wine...so they find some 18 year old. There have been parents on this board...that come right out and say...they don't have a problem with their kids drinking on cruises. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;4;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I can understand allowing an older teen to have ONE glass of wine or a daquiri or something with their parents as my parents do this with me. But I definitely think there's something wrong with 15 y.o's who are sloppy drunk. I also think my parents would notice if I weren't in my cabin at 1 or 2 in the morning.

Archived