Silver suites on Silver Whisper?-1st time on Silversea

Legalbee

We are planning on booking a Silver suite for our 1st cruise on Silversea. We're quite early and will have our pick as I understand(they dont even have the itinerary up yet for this cruise-its a 2006 itinerary)We've been looking at the ship tour on the web site and cabin 721 looks good both from a location and noise perspective.(away from elevator, midship, no storage etc nearby) For those who have sailed on this ship would that be a good choice? Also when looking at the website some of the silver suite balconies almost looked shared...ie they have no dividing lines and when they do they seem to be in the wrong place...is that just a computer glitch? It only seems to happen on deck 7 in relation to the siver suites?

My wife and I had Silver Suite #721 on the SILVER WHISPER, and it was lovely. See my photos with captions at:

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/galleries/silver-whisper-2003/silver-whisper-silver-suite-sitting-area.htm

I'm not sure what you mean about the veranda and a possible computer glitch (maybe you're referring to the black lines on the verandas in the deck plan?), but a Silver Suite veranda isn't shared. The only shared verandas are outside a small number of Vista Suites--which normally don't have verandas at all--on Deck 5. You can see a picture of our Silver Suite veranda with a solid end partition at:

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/galleries/silver-whisper-2003/silver-whisper-silver-suite-balcony.htm

We were on a ten day Panama Canal cruise on the Whisper last April. We had cabin #723. It was a beautiful cabin, with a completely private and very long veranda. My sister had a Grand Suite 801. And I got to look at the Owner's Suite as well. I liked our Silver suite the best. You won't be disappointed. The jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was awesome!! Don't hesitate, just enjoy!! Oh Yeah, don't worry about those little lines. That's a misprint--every Silver suite has private balconies (all metal enclosed). Verandah suites have partitions, that are pretty close to the floor and go up pretty high.

"That's a misprint..." The question is why won't the cruise line correct that little misprint on their website and brochures for so many years? The same with the front elevator on deck 10 of the Shadow/Whisper, is it above its position on deck 9 (which is where it should be and is), or is it above the laundry room as on the brochures (and the website up to a few months ago)? Also the tonnage of the ship, is it 25,000 or 28,252 and now back to 25,000? For a cruise line that does so much to make things great, why skimp on such trivial corrections on obvious errors for so many years? Thank you.

Thanks so much for all your replies....the pictures were very helpful, as were the comments. Hubby and I were having a heck of a time deciding btwn Silversea and Seabourn....we've decided to go with Silversea mainy because of the cabins and balconies...in reading these bds Im getting the impression there is little difference btwn the 2 with perhaps Seabourn getting a slight edge on food and service and Silversea on ship and cabins/balconies....would that be a fair comment? Only other cruise we've taken was on the Paul Gauguin(altho hubby took a cruise on the Soveirgn of the seas in what he calls his first life:)

We travel alot, generally like out of the way places, looking for peace, quiet, tranquility and sun(Tahiti,Hawaii, Fiji etc.)

We'll be doing our 10 year anniversary vow renewals on board, had originally planned to go to Bali but Im in treatment right now for a rather serious medical problem(just had surgery, and am doing chemo) and we wont want to be flying on any really long flights for about 2 years(without going into alot of details I have a risk of arm problems on long flights and need to see how the arm hold out on shorter ones )

We quite enjoyed the PG, like the small ship concept, we like tables for 2, we're not big minglers, like top notch service(not necessarily over the top), we like space however(which is why we're going with the Silver suite and not just a veranda cabin)

The cruise we're booking is the Panama canal in Mar 06....did we make the right choice given our personalities?

Thanks again

That's basically what we did-- panama canal for ten days this last April. :)You will love it!! The service was great, your room will be a quiet haven, and the canal is so interesting. We have been on Sea Goddess, QE2, Crystal and Silversea. Silversea is our favorite hands down. We thought about Seabourn, too. But, after having that giant balcony and sitting out there at night 'till all hours in our pajamas I don't know if I could give it up.

legalbee....having sailed on both silversea and seabourn (as well as Cunard Grill class) i can tell you they are both wonderful lines. the food is great on both as is the service. but in your case staying in a silver suite will make all the difference in your trip. there is nothing aboard seabourjn that compares to a sliver suite, not even their top of the line suites. enjoy your cruise. you'd have to work hard not to!

Archived