What to do in Samana????

I know you have been waiting for my review.

I am very, very tired right now, to the point of exhaustion (just got back home a few hours ago and finished unpacking), so I am going to keep it short today but I promise to post a longer review tomorrow.

We had a wonderful day with Terry!! It was our best excursion of the cruise! We learned so much about Samana from him and were picking his brain constantly!

Terry was wonderful, the stops he picked out were wonderful, the food at his restaurant was amazing, the drinks service during the tour was great (guys loved the beer! ;)) and his wife who we wanted to meet was wonderful and beautiful! :) She was selling jewelry in the little tent shopping area by the cruise terminal with her friends. They mine a stone that can only be found there, Larimar, it is light blue and beautiful. I bought several pieces from the gift shop Terry took us too by his property in the mountains and from her stand as well.

We did the waterfalls (very beautiful and much easier to get to than the ones at El Limon), a beautiful view of the mountains and bay from his land and learned a lot about the coffee he grows and saw how they build the typical small dwelling.

He had picked out our menu for the restaurant and the food was waiting on us when we got there. At the end we went to Playa Anadel for a few hours at the end. It was a beautiful beach and great to end a tour with nice, clean facilities.

Ok, pizza is here, I will post more later or tomorrow. I will also load our pictures tomorrow.

Terry, if you are reading this, thank you so much for a wonderful day!!! I will e-mail the picture I took of you & your wife!

Nicky

I e-mailed Terry but never got a response. It sounds like a nice tour. I would like to see the mangroves and caves at the national park though. Can Terry take us there?

I don't know because it is a boat tour to go to the mangroves I think. He normally replies by the next day if he has someone he is taking on a tour because he does not have internet at home. He has to go to the restaurant.

Hi Nicky,

thanks for the info... I have a few questions:

1. Why did you say the waterfalls were easier than El Limon? did you hike or take a horse? could you swim there?

2. How did Terry know what you'd like or didn't like for lunch?

3. How long was your tour?

4. What are the avg price for Larimar?

5. How long were you at the beach?

6. I scheduled the " blow holes" but am wondering if I should change to the water falls? I'll have 2 kids 11, 14 would it be ok for them?

7. Was the driving hilly like St. Lucia? wondering about motion sickness meds...

THANKS!!!! can't wait to see the pics...

Hi Terry, Heard from Nicky she said it was a GREAT day!!! Can't wait to come! I am wondering if the blow holes is the best way to spend the day? How far are the waterfalls? I would like some beach time... do i have to have a definate plan before I arrive or can we be flexible?

Thanks

Hi Nicky,

thanks for the info... I have a few questions:

1. Why did you say the waterfalls were easier than El Limon? did you hike or take a horse? could you swim there?

2. How did Terry know what you'd like or didn't like for lunch?

3. How long was your tour?

4. What are the avg price for Larimar?

5. How long were you at the beach?

6. I scheduled the " blow holes" but am wondering if I should change to the water falls? I'll have 2 kids 11, 14 would it be ok for them?

7. Was the driving hilly like St. Lucia? wondering about motion sickness meds...

THANKS!!!! can't wait to see the pics...

1. Why did you say the waterfalls were easier than El Limon? did you hike or take a horse? could you swim there? It was about a 10 min walk on an easy path. the small creek is not really a creek I guess. just a small stream that I actually walked through the water on the way back, just stepped on some bigger river rocks going. Terry will hold you hand for you :-) No horse or hike needed. Once you get there you can step on the boulders to get in the water.

2. How did Terry know what you'd like or didn't like for lunch? We left it up to him...typical Dominican food...or you can pick from the menu, but we wanted to spend as little time there so it was waiting on us.

3. How long was your tour? We got of the ship around 10:30 (had to tender) and I think we got back around 5:30pm to shop a little. He stayed with us and helped negotiate for our friends on paintings.

4. What are the avg price for Larimar? Let's see, most of it is set in silver, I will give you what my pieces cost, as there bigger sizes and designs etc. Ring, $20, earrings $5, pendant $24, necklace with Larimar and Amber $45 I think, bracelet $25?? I don't recall. There were a lot of bigger pieces but I did not want to go overboard.

5. How long were you at the beach? I think about 2 hrs

6. I scheduled the " blow holes" but am wondering if I should change to the water falls? I'll have 2 kids 11, 14 would it be ok for them? NO problem at all! I am not physically disabled but I have fatigue issues and scared of falling I should say due to previous fall and back problems. this walk was no problem for me.

7. Was the driving hilly like St. Lucia? wondering about motion sickness meds... Nothing compared to St. Lucia. NO motion sickness meds needed.

DH loaded the pics on our laptop, so I will try to load them up tonight when I get home. I will start with the Samana pictures and post a link.

You will have a wonderful time!

PS: a lot of people bought paintings in Samana by the pier. YOu can really negotiate on the price because there is a lot of competition. Our friends got the price of a big painting down to $20!

Another friend was offered 3 paintings for his watch but did not take the offer. Someone on our tender back gave his watch (he said he paid $15 for it at Walmart) for 4 paintings! for some reason they like big Men's watches.

Got to get back to work.

Talk to you later tonight.

Nicky

We were with Nicky on the tour with Terry and he rocks!! He is great, and I am so glad we decided to do it! Last year we just got off the boat and walked around on our own and didnt really like it but it really is a beautiful place once you get away from the port. Waterfall was amazing, people were friendly..it was great! We picked up some great hand painted artwork on canvas that is just awesome! Thanks Terrry(and the rest of our great group) for an amazing day!! Marnie and Hunter

Sorry it took so long.

Here is a slide show. click on right top "info" button to see descriptions of the pictures.

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing them :) I emailed Terry...I hope to hear something back.

Did you like The Dawn?? I am so excited...we have a 14 day repo booked on her for 11/1!!!! :)

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing them :) I emailed Terry...I hope to hear something back.

Did you like The Dawn?? I am so excited...we have a 14 day repo booked on her for 11/1!!!! :)

We enjoyed the Dawn but we still like the Jewel better. I guess with it being a newer ship the layout seems to work better for us. But either way, any NCL freestyle cruise ship is great! We love the dinner choices and eat whenever you want!

Tell Terry we said hi!

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

Would you mind sharing as to how much the trip with Terry was ?

I have emailed him already.

How many waterfalls did you visit ?

Thanks so much.

Frank

I don't recall the exact price as we paid per couple and gave him extra because he did such a great job. I think it was around $300 for the group of 6 (all adults) including the beer, water & rum! And our men sure drank a lot of that beer! So about $50/pp but it really depends on what you want to see and where you want to go, eat, drink, etc. He was with us from the time we got of the boat until we went back on the last tender!

If you just want to make 1 stop and then go to the beach it will probably be cheaper. It was definately worth it! He will be the best one to give you a price.

We only went to one waterfall.

Hope this helps and sorry about the delay.

Nicky

I don't recall the exact price as we paid per couple and gave him extra because he did such a great job. I think it was around $300 for the group of 6 (all adults) including the beer, water & rum! And our men sure drank a lot of that beer! So about $50/pp but it really depends on what you want to see and where you want to go, eat, drink, etc. He was with us from the time we got of the boat until we went back on the last tender!

If you just want to make 1 stop and then go to the beach it will probably be cheaper. It was definately worth it! He will be the best one to give you a price.

We only went to one waterfall.

Hope this helps and sorry about the delay.

Nicky

Wonderful pictures...

I now thinking about doing Terry's tour we was going to do the one waterfall through the ship but had to be 16 and my daughter is only 14.

Did you have to give a credit card ahead of time. Or is it one you pay then?

Thanks.

Wonderful pictures...

I now thinking about doing Terry's tour we was going to do the one waterfall through the ship but had to be 16 and my daughter is only 14.

Did you have to give a credit card ahead of time. Or is it one you pay then?

Thanks.

YOu pay at the end of the tour.

I actually paid in the middle so I could figure how much shopping money I had left to spend :D

YOu pay at the end of the tour.

I actually paid in the middle so I could figure how much shopping money I had left to spend :D

Thanks..I have a email going back to Terry to see if he is able to add us to another group that has booked the day we are going.

I don't know what for sure they are planning to do.

Now you said about him order your lunch, how much was it?

Now the beach you said you went to, he said about some problems with there in his letter, did you have any problems?

thanks.

Thanks..I have a email going back to Terry to see if he is able to add us to another group that has booked the day we are going.

I don't know what for sure they are planning to do.

Now you said about him order your lunch, how much was it?

Now the beach you said you went to, he said about some problems with there in his letter, did you have any problems?

thanks.

I really don't want to quote his food prices, as it depends on what you are getting, how many etc. Ask Terry, I think he might give you a deal if you pre-order and do it as a package deal.

As far as the beach. When we sat down on the lounge chairs, a guy that works there walked over and said it was $10/chair. Since I speak Spanish I dealt with him and told him that was too much (it was already after 3pm I think). He said the mgmt made him but honestly, I think he was trying to pocket the money. If he would have asked for $5 we would have paid, no questions asked. I asked him if we could sit on the sand instead, he said ok and walked away. Everyone stayed on the lounge chairs (my stubborn group!) and he never came back. I think Terry was going to talk to them for future tours.

He said that had never happened before so I really think the guy was trying to get some money for his pocket!

I really don't want to quote his food prices, as it depends on what you are getting, how many etc. Ask Terry, I think he might give you a deal if you pre-order and do it as a package deal.

As far as the beach. When we sat down on the lounge chairs, a guy that works there walked over and said it was $10/chair. Since I speak Spanish I dealt with him and told him that was too much (it was already after 3pm I think). He said the mgmt made him but honestly, I think he was trying to pocket the money. If he would have asked for $5 we would have paid, no questions asked. I asked him if we could sit on the sand instead, he said ok and walked away. Everyone stayed on the lounge chairs (my stubborn group!) and he never came back. I think Terry was going to talk to them for future tours.

He said that had never happened before so I really think the guy was trying to get some money for his pocket!

Thats ok about the price of food. I am just waitng here to see if they can add us to the group.

I don't speak any spanish so didn't know if it would cause me any problems.

We arranged a tour ahead of time with Terry (toursamanawithterry@hotmail.com). He met us at the dock and loaded us (all 8) into his SUV and we headed into town to drop off DW, DD (5), and MIL with a friend of Terry's wife who braided my daughter's whole head for $25! She still has it in over two weeks later! Terry had a cooler of cold beverages for us to enjoy on the ride.

Terry drove the rest of us (two adults and kids 14, 13, and 11) up to where his family has some land that overlooks the bay - absolutely gorgeous. We then went to the trailhead where we got matched up with our horses for the ride to El Limon waterfall. The trail is pretty rough (lots of stones and uneven ground), but the guides walk or run along side to make sure the horses keep moving and we didn't have any of the problems that I read about on other threads.

Once we got to the end of the trail, it's a bit of a hike down to where the waterfall is. We were a little concerned by the people huffing and puffing their way back up that we were meeting on the way down, but it wasn't all that bad. At the waterfall, Terry had the horse guides watch our stuff while we went swimming. Terry guided us behind the falls to a small cave - very intense, but worth it! There was also a place where the kids dove into a pool and walked across the stream with the help of a rope - Terry being downstream to make sure they didn't slip:). He wouldn't allow the kids to dive off the big waterfall the way some people were, but that was ok with the parents:eek:

After drying off, dressing, and hiking back up the hill, we got on the horses and headed back. Terry kept pointing out different kinds of trees along the way and had everyone sniffing various leaves - who knew that grapefruit leaves smell exactly like Froot Loops;)!

When we got back to the trailhead, Terry had arranged a late lunch for us of chicken (prepared two different ways), rice and beans, fried plantains (I think), bread and soda or water. It was very good, and not just because we were hungry after all the riding/swimming:D

We then headed back to the dock to catch a tender back out to the ship.

Terry provided a great experience for everyone involved and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him if you want to see some beautiful areas of Samaná.

100_4404.jpg.e2e66ac25696d51564f2427a7486642e.jpg

100_4428.jpg.3c77cc7fcf000feb4c54e113e33121d4.jpg

100_4419.jpg.b8cde67dbea0ac452203a11ea6d3a908.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg.8b47179a2b06ac0d240a77633b4117c6.jpg

I have been in Samana twice. The first time we went to the Gran Paradise resort on our own. We paid $65.00 for the cab, and the $33.00 per adult and $16.00 per child. The resort was nice and convenient. We had lunch and a couple of drinks. Our driver was very nice. Make sure you negotiate the price before you go in.

The second time we took a cab to La Playita were we met Roberto from Casa Dorado. I did the cab on my own, which was a mistake. The cab wanted to charged us $125.00 for a trip that cost $65.00. Roberto, on the other hand was wonderfull. He is very profesional and took care of the issue with the driver. Roberto used to work in NYC for a company that I do bussiness with....so he knows americans and how to treat them.

We did the snorkeling at la Playita and then the Playa Rincon escape. Roberto send us snorkeling with one of the guys. His name is Randy. Randy was incredible nice with our 7 years old son Andrew. It was his first time snorkeling. He told me to relax because he was a life guard. He took him by the hand and gave him the greatest snorkeling tour. He dove and showed him shells and star fish. He was so nice with our son. That night in the ship before going to sleep, our son cried because he was never going to see Randy again.

Playa Rincon was very nice, and the boat ride was very cool. I do recomend this excursion, but I will contact Roberto before to make sure he sends a driver for you.

Here is Roberto's email. info@casadoradodr.com

Archived