Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Where, exactly have you encountered the overcrowding? You keep bringing this up over and over. We were on the IOS in December and Brilliance in February, different class of ship, different itineraries. Both had overflow lounges. There were nights on Brilliance when there were less than a dozen people in the overflow lounge.

Explorer of the Seas, November 30, 2008. We have never seen such overcrowding in both the concierge lounge as well as the overflow lounge. People sneaking their friends in, physically threatening the concierge for attempting to enforce the rules. A completely out of control situation. We've experienced crowded concierge lounges in the past on transatlantic's but we've never seen anything as bad as that Explorer cruise. There was no doubt after what we witnessed that something had to change. It was a "free for all."

Explorer of the Seas, November 30, 2008. We have never seen such overcrowding in both the concierge lounge as well as the overflow lounge. People sneaking their friends in, physically threatening the concierge for attempting to enforce the rules. A completely out of control situation. We've experienced crowded concierge lounges in the past on transatlantic's but we've never seen anything as bad as that Explorer cruise. There was no doubt after what we witnessed that something had to change. It was a "free for all."

Well the Explorer must be unique in that regard. I have sailed many different ships during high season and holidays and have never witnessed that. Must be something about the demographics, more Diamonds than usual or something. It certainly is not like that on a lot of other ships.

This is a good step in the right direction and I agree with Merion Mom comment if they came out with this at first there still would of been a furor so now both sides can rest easier.

In saying that with all their cutbacks over the last year we decided it did not pay to be loyal to one cruise line. I have enjoyed every one of our cruises with Royal and have every intention to continue sailing on them but with one caveat we will no longer just cruise on RCL as we have over the last four years. What Royal did was lose their place as our cruise line of choice because of how they handled their repeat customers and let no one fool you it is all about the money. I really do believe they were starting to see a mass exodus and the red flags went up.

Adam Goldstein letter was a good start but a little to late for us. The sad part was we were very happy to cruise on RCL and never looked at another cruise line until recently. We have two cruises booked now one in July and one in December neither one is on RCL if you asked me a year ago if I would be cruising on different cruise lines I would of told you no way.

For the diamond members maybe you did not get everything you wanted but it is much better then what was orginally offered and that is good news.

RCI seems to stagger these emails alphabetically by last name. As you are T, you will get it later but mine will be even slower as I am a Z. My friend, whose last name begins with a C, already got hers.

LOL...........I still didn't get the first letter so I'd be surprised if I get the second one!! :rolleyes:

Just curious Peggy,

Are you folks Diamond or Diamond Plus? And have you ever used the CL or overflow lounges or the use of any of the Concierge Services while not sailing in a GS or above on RCI? Thanks in advance for the reply.

Colleen

Colleen: I just made D+ last Friday, and I've used the CL or overflow evening lounge on 4 sailings as a Diamond. We use it for a drink in the evening, and I had the Concierge on the Serenade make Chops ressies for us. We usually get an ocean view cabin, by the way.

My viewpoint isn't based on my C&A status, because if they told me I couldn't use the CL as a D+, I would be disappointed, but have the same opinion as I do now. It's their business, it's their product, and they don't owe me anything that isn't in the cruise contract.

I think the letter from Goldstein today is OUTSTANDING, because it really softens the blow for many, many C&A members. Not perfect, but a solid 2nd place.

For me it's great, because we're on the Rhapsody for a b2b this October, and they have no CL or Diamond Lounge. Now, they will have a nice little happy hour each evening, which is all DH and I were hoping for anyway.

I'm glad they listened. We are not yet Diamond but maybe will be someday. We were looking forward to the perks since we won't be staying in a suite anytime soon. It's nice to have our repeat business appreicated with something. Maybe we'll be booking that 10th cruise with RCCL for 2010 after all.

Yes...now they are mad about only obtaining a 25% discount off of drinks!!! hahahaha! But they still say..."It is NOT about the free drinks...I just want to go the CL to visit with other travelers...They promised me". GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

All of you that are complaining should be ASHAMED of yourselves! Most people will never be able to take a cruise in their lifetime. How GREEDY has this world become???? People that complain should be So ashamed!!!!

The free drinks were always part of the beef. What does this have to do with people who can't afford a cruise? I have worked hard my whole life and have chosen to spend leisure money on Royal's ships. Now they want to give me a buck off a drink and say its because of overcrowding. Please.............

DW will have a glass of wine and I'll occassionally have a beer. Except since we are only low Diamond members we won't have a CL after Sept now. What we both will miss is the quick stop in the afternoon for a cappuccino. Unless we want to cruise with a small city on one of the huge ships that has a DL in addition to a CL. Why not give plain old diamond members a few reduced price coupons for some of the specialty coffee sold on board?

I'm with you, I'll miss the afternoon cappuccinos!

Colleen: I just made D+ last Friday, and I've used the CL or overflow evening lounge on 4 sailings as a Diamond. We use it for a drink in the evening, and I had the Concierge on the Serenade make Chops ressies for us. We usually get an ocean view cabin, by the way.

My viewpoint isn't based on my C&A status, because if they told me I couldn't use the CL as a D+, I would be disappointed, but have the same opinion as I do now. It's their business, it's their product, and they don't owe me anything that isn't in the cruise contract.

I think the letter from Goldstein today is OUTSTANDING, because it really softens the blow for many, many C&A members. Not perfect, but a solid 2nd place.

For me it's great, because we're on the Rhapsody for a b2b this October, and they have no CL or Diamond Lounge. Now, they will have a nice little happy hour each evening, which is all DH and I were hoping for anyway.

Peggy,

I am glad it worked out for you, especially on a B2B. Enjoy the Happy Hour.

As far as it being their business I will only say one thing. The shareholders run the Company in the long run through its Board of Directors. While I am sure they are major shareholders both Goldstein and Fain are hired help, albeit highly paid hired help. It is most definitely not their company.

I, my husband and my daughter are all shareholders, and while we are not major shareholders, we have been acquiring more and more shares. I believe in this company and its product. Absolutely the main reason I have been so outspoken on this issue (and others of late). I think they are wrong in taking away from their most loyal and frequent long term customers, especially in this economy. I also spend a great deal of money on a yearly basis with this company and I have a vested interest as a customer as well.

Happy Sailing and enjoy the Rhapsody, she is a great ship,

Colleen

He is right, I was there too on that cruise. It was PACKED both in CL and overflow.

LOL...........I still didn't get the first letter so I'd be surprised if I get the second one!! :rolleyes:

Same here! And I even called C & A a week ago saying I would like my original e-mail and they double checked my e-mail to make sure I would receive it. That was 7 days ago.

The free drinks were always part of the beef. What does this have to do with people who can't afford a cruise? I have worked hard my whole life and have chosen to spend leisure money on Royal's ships. Now they want to give me a buck off a drink and say its because of overcrowding. Please.............

Here we go...Waah, Waah, Waah....

So it is not about a "free" whatever???? Give me a break...

Well the Explorer must be unique in that regard. I have sailed many different ships during high season and holidays and have never witnessed that. Must be something about the demographics, more Diamonds than usual or something. It certainly is not like that on a lot of other ships.

I do not know the numbers on the other ships but the Ex. averages 225-250 diamonds and about 12-20 D plus a cruise. It could be the demographics, maybe so close to 3 international airports, one only 15 minutes or less away from port, could be NYC is a huge draw, I don't know, that's just how it is:)

Hey, at least they have taken note of the mood of the diamond members and they have responded with what some may think is a reasonable compromise. What primary issues are you concerned with that were not addressed? Perhaps if you detail those issues in a letter to RCI, they will respond as they have to the most common complaints that we have read since the original announcement was made (loss of free drinks in the evening and continental breakfast in the morning and access to the concierge and the concierge lounge). It can't hurt to write and voice your feelings. Those who have done so since the issue first arose had some success. You might also.:) I would suggest that your letter might be better received if you refrain from sarcastic comments about "watered down drinks" and "day old pastries". :rolleyes:

Negc, if you had read my other posts #3968 & 3986 you see that I did send in a letter to C&A regarding this whole issue. From them, I received a form letter that was sent to everyone of us that took the time to voice their opinions and dissatisfaction with their new policy. I use the term form letter because two other couples who sent in letters to C&A received the identical letters which attempted to promote their new ships instead of rectify the situation. As for the watered down drinks.. it's a fact that unless you've made a friend who serves the drinks or a bartender that you take care of by slipping him a twenty at the beginning of the cruise you wont be getting even close to a decent drink.The new 8-10 "Continental breakfast" as mentioned is similar to what you'd receive in the Diamond member departure area prior to disembarkation. Nothing new there they don't give you the fresh pastries baked the night before first. A perk, yes but can't hold a candle to what you'd get in the CL.

Here we go...Waah, Waah, Waah....

So it is not about a "free" whatever???? Give me a break...

We need more great posts like this humdinger:

As far as letter writing campaigns, I am proud to say I wrote Mr. Goldstein and told him Thank You for the new changes to Suite Perks as well as the C&A. He promptly replied and told me thank you!

Purchase a suite, cruise the ships that offer you CL or change lines...End of Sentence.

Add Adventure of the Seas. The lounge was standing room only and people couldn't get in the door. We were sailing in a suite and the lounge really wasn't a pleasant place to be in the evening. Unless you are sailing on all the ships all the time you really can't make such a blanket statement. :rolleyes:

People that complain should be So ashamed!!!!

I'm with you, Georget and Ladylouwho. I have to believe that posts here as well as the flood of letters and emails informed RCCL of our concerns. It's not complaining when you start a letter writing campaign to change a law or get a candidate elected; it's not "complaining" now. It's voicing our concerns...and someone listened.

I, for one (remember, don't really drink), think it's great that every night on all class of ships there will be some kind of venue for the D member to get a glass of wine before dinner. Now that adds back the "class" in the RCCL experience.

I also like the idea of someone at breakfast (even if it is just a "few pastries") who can address cruise needs, such as tickets, etc...

I really can't fault RCCL for wanting to give their $$$$ suite passengers the special treatment, and, yes, that really was what the CL was originally for. I also understand that we get used to things and feel disappointed when they are taken away(....kind of like my 401K this past year:(). And, I appreciated that RCCL is at least doing SOMETHING to compromise (although there is still a little more they could do:)).

But, still, the one thing I really wanted was the gourment/specialty coffee, and that we did not get back. :(

So, I'm not ashamed of myself for saying that this was the only perk I used and the only one of importance to me that I lost. It was the single element that added the "class" to my experience. Sure, I'll buy a coffee if I want it (and drink it in my ritzy paper cup), but I don't feel ashamed for expressing my slight disappoinment.

If you'll reread my posts, for me, my disappointment with recent changes is more a culmulative effect of the combination of RCCL's declining food, declining service, increasing "in your face" sale of everything, combined with an attitude that suggests they really think they are better (and the ratings sure don't support this) that strikes me the most.

The coffee was just the final "straw" for me.

OK............here goes. I wrote to Mr. Goldstein several weeks ago......and have never received an answer from him. That's OK!

I asked........as I have stated in several posts here.........that I think it would behoove RCCL to open another venue for Diamonds........and give them drinks at a 50% discount.

What Mr. Goldstein came back with........is free wine and beer, and 25% off of .........what I assume to be well drinks.

I will be aboard the Mariner of the Seas this coming Sunday. I know how RCCL pours drinks..........and so far.........they have never poured me anything "watered down"! I will see if this has changed from my last voyage in February.

I think that what is being proposed.......starting with the fact that RCCL is asking for a bit more time while they figure everything out.........ie.....no changes till September 1st.

I wonder how many of you canceled for August.......and now can't get the same accommodations that you once had??

Mr. Goldstein has met about 75% of my expectations.........far beyond what I thought that Royal Caribbean was willing to step to the plate to do.

So........continue the writing........but I would encourage a bit of congratulatory attitude..........as I read his letter............Diamonds are once again in a class............and given things that newer cruisers are not.

If it's about the free drinks...........go find another cruise line.........because the other........and I have their names.....charge about double the price of RCCL.....to sail and enjoy a great cruise.

Rick

Just like to say Thank you to all the fellow whiners out there.

If the letter is a climb down i am grateful. It proves they watch this blog and listened to our calls and emails.

One little thing why only house wine and Champagne as these are usually the same price as house beer and shorts? What about soft drinks? during happy hour.

Thanks again, power to the whining customers.

Georget,

Yes we "Whiners" stuck together on this and had to put up with constant attacks even though we were trying to get something done. Most folks don't know this but early on (a couple days after the announcement) I was in fact "Banned from CC" for a week for "disruption". Somebody sure wanted to shut me up.

It would have been much easier to walk away and not put up with the stuff we "Whiners" had to put up with. But there was a princple involved that really had nothing to do with any one perk. And for some of us it was worthwhile.

So thank you to ALL of the WHINERS. If it wasn't for the shear numbers of you that came out in support it would have been difficult to keep this on the front page. And believe me I spent a lot of my precious time keeping it on the front page and fielding insults as did many others. Plus there are still some who are banned as I post this.

Thank you also to those folks who are not Diamond yet or who are Diamond Plus but joined in the Conversation and voiced their opinons without ridiculing and attacking and calling us "Whiners".

So I am still going to keep up my conversation with RCI in the various ways I have until this whole situation is truly resolved in a manner which is best for the company and for its long term, frequent and loyal customers.

Colleen

I think this is a very fair and well thought out response. The explination seems to take into account the issue of overcrowding, the costs involved with the CL, the current economic climate and feedback from C&A members. I appreciate the effort.

Yeah, but let's all be honest. The reason for the delay until September is so that RCCL does not lose any business oveer this issue during the profitable summer cruise season, which, along with Thanksgiving and the December through New Year's holiday season are prime profit-making times for all cruise lines.

I'll be curious to see if there are any more changes (losing privlieges or canceling the daily D drinks on all class ships) after the summer season finishes up and the $$$$ have been spent.:cool:

Archived