Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Its not about the money, its about the money.....

I drink vodka, so free beer and wine mean nothing. A buck off a drink, big deal. They are still making money off it.

I didn't see free beer. Only wine and champagne. You'll have to get used house wine, I'm afraid.

I guess that the truism about athletes: "When they say it isn't about the money, you can be sure of one thing: It's about the money." also applies to some cruisers:"When they say it isn't about the free drinks, you can be sure of one thing: It's about the free drinks".:rolleyes:

No kidding. They don't care about the free drinks but, somehow, they don't like them at 25% off. What am I missing here??:confused:

The free drinks were always part of the beef. What does this have to do with people who can't afford a cruise? I have worked hard my whole life and have chosen to spend leisure money on Royal's ships. Now they want to give me a buck off a drink and say its because of overcrowding. Please.............

Maybe for some. But plenty of post on here have stated that the free drinks have nothing to do with the beef.

Interesting posts to read through this thread. If it was a calculated risk, it was a poorly calculated risk. It appears that the magical bond has been broken for many cruisers who will now begin to consider, or have already made plans, to sail other cruise lines. I wonder how much this stumble will cost RCI in the long run or, if it costs them anything at all.

We think it is a good solution.

It will be nice to have our own area to meet other diamond members.

I don't care who calls me a whiner, loyality should be rewarded and RCL obviously realizes that now.

Expressing your opinion is not whining.

after reading about so many previously loyal cruisers are about to "jump ship" - I have a hypothetical question:

You can reach Diamond status in as few as 4 cruises if you meet the various criteria, right? and then again it could take you 10 cruises.(and they could be 10 3 day cruises)

Can someone tell me what the other cruise lines offer you as "loyalty" after 4 cruises? or 10 cruises? From what I understand, and we have sailed a few lines, RCI's program is quite good.

Just a question (to all the whiners)

What do you get at one of the other cruise lines when you have same level comparable to diamond on RCI?

One of my cruisemates is platinum on Carnival and besides express check inn, free laundry and her name printed on some aweful silver papers, she doesn't get nothing comparable to what RCI if offering her loyal guests, and NO free alcohol at all except at the past guest party.

WELLLLLLL, it would appear that 'somebody' is FINALLY starting to realize how (AND with/by whom) RCI has successfully built this company. Congrats to all who have been involved (no matter what manner involved.....;) ) in getting RCI to understand this ridiculously faulty path!!! :eek:

Will say, not sure this will be the end of their retreat. RCI has taken a HEAVY hit (no matter what they wish to portray.....) from this "insanity".

Has anybody else 'notice' that on Friday 4/10/09 RCI also named a new "Senior VP of Marketing" who will report directly to Goldstein??? Betsy O'Rourke will be responsible for all aspects of the cruise line's marketing program, including brand strategy and positioning, consumer and trade advertising, Web and loyalty marketing, research, brand development and communications. According to an the article I read, her responsibilities will also include overseeing (rebuilding.....) the C&A loyalty program. She is coming from Wyndham (who has 'resurrected' their own loyalty program w/ ENHANCEMENTS, not cuts......) where she was a Sr VP responsible for their Marketing and Communications areas, which included their loyalty program. Coincidence, I THINK NOT!!! ;)

Does this finally spell the end to the 'Carnival transplant' and her failed "loyalty program policy" take-a-ways??? One can only hope/assume so!!! Can somebody see the writing on the wall??? Who can she 'wreak havoc' on next??? :eek:

OR maybe it is that RCI has finally hired 'somebody' still in their 1st year of college who just STARTED Marketing 101, "basic" Economics (this doesn't even qualify for Economics 101.........way too basic a principle here) and Business 101..........who has convinced the "upper echelon" that these policies can NOT support a viable business plan!!! :eek: :o

Bruce

Just an FYI for all....The Crown and Anchor page has been updated on RCCL.com

Tim

Many thanks to the OP for posting and to all those who wrote to RCI. I didn't think I could write as we are relatively new Diamond members so have never experienced the CL and we are on FOS next which still has a Diamond Lounge, so I hadn't any complaints. Although I was wavering about a Mariner cruise next year with the loss of the CL.

The C&A UK site still hasn't been updated to show the new benefits, but the letter did say 48 hours.

I never got the 1st letter, so I doubt I'll get this although I get enough other stuff from RCI trying to encourage me to book another cruise!

I think you are absolutely wrong in your efforts at psychoanalyzing those of us who are affected by this. And calling us "whiners" again just reiterates how wrong you are.

Actually I think that MM hit the nail on the head. Of course even with this change by Royal Caribbean, some people will still complain as that is what they have programmed themselves to do. Nothing can make them happy.

It is like a labor negotiation. Workers ask for a 10% raise. Management counters with 2%. Workers are outraged. Demand 8%. Management counters with 6%. Final agreement: 4% - both sides feel that they gained over the other.

People (in this case, whining C & A members), need to feel that they "won something back."

If RC had offered this in the first place, there would have been just as much complaining. RC really HAD to "threaten" or announce that it was removing the whole deal, then "give in" to a 25% discount deal, to appease people.

People would have been INCENSED that their FREE booze was taken away and being replaced by a MEASLY 25% discount.

It's all about the psychology.

:)

Well said!

I can't help being reminded of an old saying...

“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time”.

Just a question (to all the whiners)

What do you get at one of the other cruise lines when you have same level comparable to diamond on RCI?

One of my cruisemates is platinum on Carnival and besides express check inn, free laundry and her name printed on some aweful silver papers, she doesn't get nothing comparable to what RCI if offering her loyal guests, and NO free alcohol at all except at the past guest party.

A savings of $1500. I cancelled my Med cruise on Brilliance and rebooked on Carnival Dream. Brand new ship, still in a balcony and I don't have to pay an inflated fare in order for RCI to build floating amusement parks.

Like Elizanessie, being in the UK we didn't get the original email either, so I am very glad for all the posts here on CC to keep up with what is going on at RCCL.

We have a TA cruise booked for November and seriously considered cancelling when the original announcement was made. However our UK agent had no idea about the changes either. Great communication over here. We discovered that we had a really good deal compared with current pricing and stuck with the booking. Now I am really glad we did.

We don't drink heavily but a couple of glasses of champagne or wine per evening will be most welcome as will Concierge help for ice show tickets and the quieter breakfast. The one thing I will miss is the Capucchino machine all day.

Well done RCCL for responding to the unhappiness which was felt by your loyal customers. We understand about the crowded lounges and the need to make a profit in order for the company to exist. I hope this compromise really works well and look forward to my last experience of a CL next month. It will be many years till I am Diamond+ and I cannot imagine spending the amount needed to cruise in a GS or larger.

Absolutely true. They need to revamp the whole C& A program. It will probably involve grandfathering in those who already made it by the end of this year or something. But the rules need to change to those that actually sail the required times and it should be (in my opinion) 6-7 nights to get a cruise credit. As far as giving folks double for suites, that may need to change, I mean if people get the perks in suites, why give them double points? But then you have the pesky question of the JS. They charge so much more for the JS and give the extra credit. But no CL access. So what to do?

RCL made the rules, people who could, took advantage of them and FAIRLY made Diamond and Diamond PLus. Even if they did 3 day BtoBtoB type things. But they were abiding by the rules that RCI put in place.

What I don't like is posters who blame the customer and let RCI off the hook. Meaning talking about how cruisers took advantage, etc., etc. RCI made the rules, they should have enforced the rules. Why does everyone blame the customer? Why does RCI always get off the hook for the problems they themselves created?

Colleen

Colleen, The reason so many blame the customer is because they did it a different way.

If you read many of the posts about the how the system should be changed, you'll see they all ring true to only one point. The way I did it is right and the rest is all wrong. That's why so many people scream there should be a nights spend sailing limit instead of how much you spend. Which of course works for them but doesnt really help the company make more money. Because at that point, you're basically saying the 100 a night inside is just as valuable to the company as the 500 a night suite. Which we all know is not true.

Although I disagree with you on the number of nights to get credit and other points of your post I am happy to read that you at least understand and admit to the other sides of the issue and that the customers were abiding by the rules put in place by the company. That in itself is rare around here.

Grandfathering however, I believe will not help the "overcrowding" problem. Which is the stated reason for the changes.

RCI's letter indicated a daily happy hour from approx. 5-8 PM for all Diamond members that will offer free wine and champagne. Will this include soft drinks for non drinkers?

A savings of $1500. I cancelled my Med cruise on Brilliance and rebooked on Carnival Dream. Brand new ship, still in a balcony and I don't have to pay an inflated fare in order for RCI to build floating amusement parks.

I call that a smart way to spend your hard earned vacation dollars! :) It's all about personal decisions.

Good Morning to my CC friends!

I got my letter from AGoldstein last night also. I had mixed feelings about it. The thing that pleased me is that "they are listening" so all the emails and letters have been working.

I do believe they are now putting a bandaide on the problem (once again) that they created. I believe that it is all about the money people to pay for their huge debt with the Oasis and Allure (JMHO).

Again, while this does not effect me for the time being, we'll see what happens in the future when both Oasis and Allure start to sail. I think RCL will again adjust their C&A loyalty program.

Happy cruising everyone!

I am far from being a Diamond Member, but, I am glad to see that they are trying to appease all you loyal RCI cruisers! It would not have been in their best interest not to do anything to ease everyone being upset about their loss of perks, RCI does not want to lose any percentage of their loyal cruisers. Even though this seems to be somewhat of a compromise it is a big step in the right direction! With that being said, they need to get a little more competitive with their pricing. Even if they were a little more than their competitiors they will still benefit from it.

It means that for those of us sailing on ships (like the b2b Rhapsody for me this October) that have no Concierge Lounge OR Diamond Lounge, we will get a free wine/champagne Happy Hour dedicated to Diamonds and D+ in one of the ship's bars or lounges. This will be EVERY NIGHT instead of the one time Diamond event they usually have on each cruise.

Peggy...........It would be interesting to clarify this. On any cruises without a CL, we have never had a nightly "free" drink area on any of the ships that do not have a CL. We are both D+ and stay in Suites.

I have a feeling that the Rhapsody does not presently serve drinks and wine, as they do not have a CL. It is hard for me to think that they are going to serve D's drinks of any sort in the future, unless they convert a lounge to a CL, and offer free drinks as a suite amenity.

Just MHO.

Rick

after reading about so many previously loyal cruisers are about to "jump ship" - I have a hypothetical question:

You can reach Diamond status in as few as 4 cruises if you meet the various criteria, right? and then again it could take you 10 cruises.(and they could be 10 3 day cruises)

Can someone tell me what the other cruise lines offer you as "loyalty" after 4 cruises? or 10 cruises? From what I understand, and we have sailed a few lines, RCI's program is quite good.

I will give this a go.

we're making diamond on 5 cruises. one in an inside, the rest in JS or higher. As short as 2 night, as long as 12 night. So yes, we're using the rules to make our way in the program. But when you see the estimates thrown around of how much money it takes to make diamond, you'll find we're right in line. We spent a LOT of money for those higher cabins. We're far from rich, but we do in fact have more money than time when it comes to travel. So we choose to spend the extra to get the extra credits.

Part of my problem with Princess, one of the lines I'll be checking out due to the changes to diamond privileges, is that they do not care how much someone spends. Its all nights at sea or cruises taken. To me the perfect set up for the inside cruiser. And that's not a dig. I am perfectly happy in the inside and will mostly sail them going forward as the chasing the points is no longer worth it with the 'new and improved lesser benefits' the company is offering.

So although the cruise count is low, the money spent is in line with most others (the majority) who make that mark. And money is what is really important to the company. Not the number of nights you've done.

I was thinking the exact same thing!!! Overcrowding????!!! Easily solved. Move to another dedicated location. Lord knows these ships have the room.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$

Exactly!!!!!!!!! :)

$5 says this was the plan the entire time and they just wanted us to feel like we gained something by giving us nothing, then throwing us a bone.

Ha-ha!! I see you have a suspicious mind just like I do!!!!!!! ;) :D

Archived