Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

I wonder what the impact will be to the income of the Conceirge? reducing the number of people who can use the CL will no doubt mean less tips.

RCL is definitely alienating the loyal customer base. One reason they probably have so many diamonds is that you get the same credit for a 3-day cruise that you get for up to an 11-Day cruise. Doesn't seem to make sense.

you all have earned D+ and tommorrow they cut your benefits . They can justify anything .I have chosen RC fhe lart 3 cruises because it would get me D and those benefits as advertised the last 5 years while We were getting to D. Our 11th is next I earned a free coctail or 2 .So when they take yours away remember how crowded those lounges were and how something had to be done .

I wonder what the impact will be to the income of the Conceirge? reducing the number of people who can use the CL will no doubt mean less tips.

RCL is definitely alienating the loyal customer base. One reason they probably have so many diamonds is that you get the same credit for a 3-day cruise that you get for up to an 11-Day cruise. Doesn't seem to make sense.

I agree -- this seems to really be alienating a very loyal customer base! You'd think they'd want to find a way to "keep" the loyal Diamonds, so that they will continue to cruise with RCI!

Let's look at this from RCI's point of view, since many of you are saying that they are forgetting their "loyal" customers.

Sure, they are taking something away for now, but don't you think that they are trying to encourage you to sail with them more to get to the highest level within C&A and receive those additional benefits.

I don't feel it is fair to have a customer who has cruised less days than I have but obtained diamond plus status because they live near a port that has three day cruises. This means a person that has 75 cruise days will have diamond status, wherease I have 100 days, but am excluded. How is that fair. Royal caribbean created mess, people just followed their guidelines.

Royal needs to make this game fair and count the number of cruise days, therefore treating everyone fairly. They also need to omit family member's.

And to think that after next week's cruise, we will achieve Diamond. Guess we weren't quick enough, but we did it the old fashioned way...10 seven day cruises.

I think people are losing sight of the fact Diamond members will still have access to the Diamond Lounge on Freedom Class as well as Oasis and Allure. While this news has caused a firestorm it could have been worse for Diamond members.

I just think it's ashame for RCI to have made the decision not to grandfather in current Diamond members in this new benefit program.

I totally agreee. It is one thing changing the rules but it is another to take away what some of us already have.

I think people are losing sight of the fact Diamond members will still have access to the Diamond Lounge on Freedom Class as well as Oasis and Allure. While this news has caused a firestorm it could have been worse for Diamond members.

Very true Kewlguy -- Diamond members still have that great Diamond lounge on the Freedom ships and the new Oasis. Too bad they couldn't have a separate lounge on the other ships for Diamond members!

We are D+ and a lot of our cruising friends are Diamonds.

We love it when we join a cruise not knowing which of our cruising friends we will bump into in the Concierge lounge. The number of reunions we have had this year already is fantastic:). I can't keep incontact with everyone we meet on our cruises but having the CL meant if there were going to be anyone we knew on the ship that was the place to find them ;):D

Hi Heather and John,

I totally agree. You always meet the most wonderful people in the lounge - people who have travelled all over the world and have so many interesting stories to tell.

Having said that, after my Voyager transatlantic crossing last November, you could see that changes needed to be made. Grandfathering would not have solved the problem and I don't think Royal Caribbean had any other choice but to make these changes. I am just glad that I am a Diamond Plus member.

The problem is, if they grandfather everybody in, they will still have hundreds of passengers, trying to use the Concierge lounge. We were on the Independence a few weeks ago and there were 600 Diamond members and over 100 Diamond Plus members. The overflow lounge worked very nicely, but there is no way that one Concierge Lounge could have handled everybody. On the Radiance Class ships, they have the one small lounge. Logic would make them open another lounge for the Diamond members, but RCL is taking the gamble that the Diamond members will still go on those ships. RCL also wants to fill up the larger ships, so by offering the Diamond Lounge perks to those on the Freedom Class and Oasis will push people into cruising on the larger ships, filling them up more easily. Then, they can charge more (as they do already for the Freedom class) and have people more willing to pay the premium, as they get the use of the wonderful Diamond lounge and overflow lounge for the evenings.

The problem is, if they grandfather everybody in, they will still have hundreds of passengers, trying to use the Concierge lounge. We were on the Independence a few weeks ago and there were 600 Diamond members and over 100 Diamond Plus members. The overflow lounge worked very nicely, but there is no way that one Concierge Lounge could have handled everybody. On the Radiance Class ships, they have the one small lounge. Logic would make them open another lounge for the Diamond members, but RCL is taking the gamble that the Diamond members will still go on those ships. RCL also wants to fill up the larger ships, so by offering the Diamond Lounge perks to those on the Freedom Class and Oasis will push people into cruising on the larger ships, filling them up more easily. Then, they can charge more (as they do already for the Freedom class) and have people more willing to pay the premium, as they get the use of the wonderful Diamond lounge and overflow lounge for the evenings.

Good point..

We became diamond on our last cruise with RCI. That was the incentive to book more cruises with them even though the cuts in food quality really make it difficult to justify cruising with them over other lines. Dh was so looking forward to the expresso and the cocktails. At least we will be able to enjoy it on our transatlantic next month but not the one in November.

You will be able to enjoy the Diamond Lounge on the Independence. :)

I guess I am trying to figure out -- so if you go on one of the Freedom or Oasis ships, you have access to the Diamond lounge and all benefits there, but on any other ship, you have a single Diamond event!?!

I think that now would be the time to repeat:

Royal Caribbean could pretty much *solve the problem of too many Diamonds* by restricting Diamond status to those who have actually sailed the requisite number of cruises.

If you get rid of all the "household members" who get Diamond status regardless of how many times they have (or haven't) cruised based merely on the fact that a real Diamond cruiser uses the same address that they do, then I believe that the "problem" goes away.

How about it, Royal Caribbean? If you are in the mood to make changes and overhaul Crown & Anchor, THAT would be a good place to start.

NOT THIS.

You will alienate far fewer people who can no longer claim illegitimate, unearned Diamond status than you are now, dumping Diamonds out of the Concierge Lounge.

Who agrees with me?

I do :D

My post on the other thread regarding this change:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma3 viewpost.gif

I just sent an email to Goldstein. I hope everyone does the same.

agoldstein@rccl.com :mad:

Here is the text of my eMail:

"Mr. Goldstein,

I was very disappointed to learn that access to the Concierge lounge will soon be limited to suite guests and Diamond Plus Crown and Anchor members. I must admit that anticipation of this particular member benefit played an important role in our choice of cruise lines.

Our first cruise in April 2005 was on the Adventure of the Seas and in the short time since then we have attained Diamond membership status. Our first Concierge Lounge experience was last year on the Enchantment of the Seas and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was one of the major reasons we chose as our next cruise experience a back-to-back Mexican Riviera cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. I will say that it will be difficult to stay with that booking as we feel we have be deceived by Royal Caribbean regarding this member benefit. Just when we are poised to enjoy the fruits of our loyalty, the rules are changing with little if any regard for that loyalty.

We are also stockholders and if I said that our stock purchase was not influenced at least in part by stockholder benefits, I would be less than candid. Are those benefits the next victim of this misguided attempt at cost cutting?

Please reconsider these ill-advised changes. Member loyalty may be the make-or-break factor in the survival of cruise lines in these difficult economic times. Some short-term savings may be realized at the expense of long-term growth. This is just the sort of thinking that is at the heart of much of our nation's current financial difficulties; don't let it be the cause of RCCL's. I urge you to rethink these changes and give me and the rest of the Crown and Anchor Society members a good reason to be "Loyal to Royal".

Be sure to express your feelings regarding this issue that is important to ALL Crown and Anchor Society members. Try your best to keep your comments civil. Perhaps if we are united in our opposition to these changes then RCCL's corporate leadership will rethink this ill timed and ill advised change. Bon Voyage to all.

Traveling1969

This change has been rumored for over a year. We did 11 weeks of cruising last year just to get to D+ (and not because we love cruising;)) because we saw the writing on the wall. Being retired and living in FL has its benefits.

I understand the angst for those that had gotten used to the lounge and free drinks. We certainly expected it with each sailing as a D member. We even avoided the Grandeur out of Tampa because there's no Concierge Lounge. But every night of every sailing that we were on last year, the subject of the current hot topic would arise. Everyone we talked to in the lounges (usually a satelite lounge because of the huge number of D's & D+'s) believed a change would be coming. Now here it is.

Now an interesting question occures to us about the Concierge Lounge on the Freedom class ships. Our E-Mail regarding Level perks states the D+ will have access to the CL. Currently a D+ is not allowed in the CL on the Freedom class (unless in a suite, of course). After July 1, the policy states the D+ will have access to the CL, making no distinction of ship class. Is this a way to get us out of the Diamond Club because of space limitations?

Secretely pleased? Absolutely not. Surprised, Absolutely not. Expecting other changes in the futute, Absolutely yes. How about doing away with the crystal blocks at 30, 40, etc., almost for certain, at least IMHO.

my post on the other thread regarding this change:

Quote:

Originally posted by ma3 viewpost.gif

i just sent an email to goldstein. I hope everyone does the same.

agoldstein@rccl.com :mad:

here is the text of my email:

"mr. Goldstein,

i was very disappointed to learn that access to the concierge lounge will soon be limited to suite guests and diamond plus crown and anchor members. I must admit that anticipation of this particular member benefit played an important role in our choice of cruise lines.

our first cruise in april 2005 was on the adventure of the seas and in the short time since then we have attained diamond membership status. Our first concierge lounge experience was last year on the enchantment of the seas and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was one of the major reasons we chose as our next cruise experience a back-to-back mexican riviera cruise on the radiance of the seas. I will say that it will be difficult to stay with that booking as we feel we have be deceived by royal caribbean regarding this member benefit. Just when we are poised to enjoy the fruits of our loyalty, the rules are changing with little if any regard for that loyalty.

we are also stockholders and if i said that our stock purchase was not influenced at least in part by stockholder benefits, i would be less than candid. Are those benefits the next victim of this misguided attempt at cost cutting?

please reconsider these ill-advised changes. Member loyalty may be the make-or-break factor in the survival of cruise lines in these difficult economic times. Some short-term savings may be realized at the expense of long-term growth. This is just the sort of thinking that is at the heart of much of our nation's current financial difficulties; don't let it be the cause of rccl's. I urge you to rethink these changes and give me and the rest of the crown and anchor society members a good reason to be "loyal to royal".

be sure to express your feelings regarding this issue that is important to all crown and anchor society members. Try your best to keep your comments civil. Perhaps if we are united in our opposition to these changes then rccl's corporate leadership will rethink this ill timed and ill advised change. Bon voyage to all.

traveling1969

well said!!!!

I guess I am trying to figure out -- so if you go on one of the Freedom or Oasis ships, you have access to the Diamond lounge and all benefits there, but on any other ship, you have a single Diamond event!?!

Correct ...so that means on 1st July...there will be only 3 ships that Diamonds can have access to a conceirge (Diamond lounge) and then one more when Oasis comes out in Dec.

Correct ...so that means on 1st July...there will be only 3 ships that Diamonds can have access to a conceirge (Diamond lounge) and then one more when Oasis comes out in Dec.

I sure wish that Royal Caribbean would have "evened" things out with all the ships -- if a ship doesn't have a Diamond lounge, they should have a separate area for those Diamond members. Guess RCI wants people to go on the Freedom and Oasis ships.

Hi Tony...What about those of us who have no desire for the "mega" ships? NCL is looking better and better! E-mail coming soon.

Helen

Wow! I feel like I've been invited to the party and then when I get there I'm told it was a mistake and I'll have to leave! We became Diamond last year and enjoyed the CL (Serenade) on our Ultimate Alaska cruise immensely. We became addicted to the cappuccinos! We then did another short cruise on the Monarch, so of course there were no Diamond benefits to speak of. So we've only had the benefits for one cruise.

I just booked a 14 night Transatlantic for next year on the Jewel, thinking about those cappuccinos and sitting in the CL in peace and quiet. But it is not to be, and I just don't know if I'll keep this booking. We do not drink much, so the evening hours in the CL or overflow lounge are not a big issue for us. I do wish they could have managed to let us use the CL up until 5 pm and then again after 8:30 pm.

We are also not interested in going on the larger ships that have the Diamond lounges. Because of their size their itineraries are rather limited to the Caribbean and Europe and we prefer other itineraries.

Oh well, life is a work in progress and I guess it's time to move on.

Wow! I feel like I've been invited to the party and then when I get there I'm told it was a mistake and I'll have to leave! We became Diamond last year and enjoyed the CL (Serenade) on our Ultimate Alaska cruise immensely. We became addicted to the cappuccinos! We then did another short cruise on the Monarch, so of course there were no Diamond benefits to speak of. So we've only had the benefits for one cruise.

I just booked a 14 night Transatlantic for next year on the Jewel, thinking about those cappuccinos and sitting in the CL in peace and quiet. But it is not to be, and I just don't know if I'll keep this booking. We do not drink much, so the evening hours in the CL or overflow lounge are not a big issue for us. I do wish they could have managed to let us use the CL up until 5 pm and then again after 8:30 pm.

We are also not interested in going on the larger ships that have the Diamond lounges. Because of their size their itineraries are rather limited to the Caribbean and Europe and we prefer other itineraries.

Oh well, life is a work in progress and I guess it's time to move on.

Yes, many are not interested in going on the larger Freedom/Oasis class ships and now the Diamond members have no access to the CL. So, if you want any benefits as a Diamond that you had before, you need to go on the Freedom/Oasis class ships.

Archived