Valletta - insight please

:confused: We will be there June 9th and I'm trying to narrow down what we might like to do. What are the "best sees" of these? Marsaxlokk, Birzebbuga, Hagar Qim, Blue Grotto, Wied iz Zurrieq, or Dingli Cliffs. I'm pretty clueless. I would kind of like to keep it light/fun at this stop since I will get enough culture and history lessons in other areas. Maybe even a beach since I've never taken a dip in the Mediterranean. :rolleyes:

:confused: We will be there June 9th and I'm trying to narrow down what we might like to do. What are the "best sees" of these? Marsaxlokk, Birzebbuga, Hagar Qim, Blue Grotto, Wied iz Zurrieq, or Dingli Cliffs. I'm pretty clueless. I would kind of like to keep it light/fun at this stop since I will get enough culture and history lessons in other areas. Maybe even a beach since I've never taken a dip in the Mediterranean. :rolleyes:

It is a few years since we were in Malta but we always enjoyed our time there. It rather depends on how long your stay is but Malta is a small island and you could probably see all these places in a 4 hour taxi trip. There is also a comprehensive public bus service with most routes starting in Valletta and fares are relatively inexpensive. The beauty of Malta is that almost everyone speaks English so getting around is reasonably straight forward. Valletta itself is an interesting city with a good mixture of ancient and modern things to see. It is easily walkable although some of the streets have quite steep inclines.There are not many sandy beaches on Malta and you will have to travel out of Valletta to get to one.

The Maltese tourist board site has a lot of useful info.

Have a good time!

Thanks for the info Soccorref. Looks like I won't have to rush too much. Sounds good. Wow, your trip is coming up soon. I'm excited for you.

Can anyone tell me what the draw is in each one of the places I mentioned. Why would one want to visit more than one fishing villiage?

Can anyone tell me what the draw is in each one of the places I mentioned. Why would one want to visit more than one fishing villiage?

Well, because I am allergic to fish (seriously), I will not be visiting any of them. On my day in Malta in June, I will visit the neolithic Hypogeum (about 15 minutes outside Valletta, limited entry so must book tickets in advance) and spend the rest of day in Valletta, visiting the Cathedral and then whatever military history sights my spouse chooses.

For those who love the water, scuba diving is an avid sport on the Islands. A harbour cruise, swimming at Blue Grotto in Comino and St Peters Pool in Marsascala, renting a jet-ski,visiting Mgarr Ix-Xini cove in Gozo and par kiting from one of the sandy beaches to get a birds eye view of Malta are all absolute water lover must-do’s.

But I'm still not sure about the fishing villages.

I thought the "must sees" included St John's Cathredral, the Hypogeum, and the Blue Grotto in addition to the actual city of Valletta. However, time is of the essence. Not sure about the OP's port time, but at least on our cruise, we have a very short day, and I'm still unclear as to what is reasonable to accomplish.

Is it possible with a short port day (leaving at 3pm) to do the Hypogeum, the Blue Grotto (go into or just look at?), and a visit to the Cathedral?

What would be the best way to see all these...grab a taxi at the port or is there a tour service that cruise critic folks have used?

I have to look into these other stops the OP mentioned. The Dingli Cliffs sound interesting.

I think I'm there the week after you. I have been following your posts since we are interested in the same ports around the same time.

I'm looking at this website http://www.malta-car-hire.com/malta-tours.htm and have sent them an email but have not heard back from them yet. Check it out. Maybe we will cross paths in Barcelona. Have a great trip! ;)

If you are a Christian another "DO NOT MISS" is St. Paul's Shipwreck Church. It is located very near St. John's Co-Cathedral and is free to visit.

Read Acts 27 & 28 for the Biblical background on Paul's shipwreck on Malta before you visit. Fascinating for Believers.

I think I'm there the week after you. I have been following your posts since we are interested in the same ports around the same time.

I'm looking at this website http://www.malta-car-hire.com/malta-tours.htm and have sent them an email but have not heard back from them yet. Check it out. Maybe we will cross paths in Barcelona. Have a great trip! ;)

You have a wonderful trip too!:)

Thank you for the link. I'm ashamed to say that I have not spent a whole lot of time researching this port as I've been focusing on Italy and Barcelona.

Hope you hear back from the tour company soon.

I will visit the neolithic Hypogeum (about 15 minutes outside Valletta, limited entry so must book tickets in advance)

The tour is very interesting if you have a hankering for archeology. I loved it and felt it very worth while. They aren't kidding about the tickets. We watched one couple begging for an extra as they could only get one (one woman had decided not to go down freeing up one ticket) In the end the wife got to see the movie part but did not go down into the hypogeum itself.

We did the Hypogeum tour in February. It is indeed fascinating! Enjoy your time there! We caught the city bus there from the bus station in the center of Valletta and then after our Hypogeum tour caught it back to Valletta. The local folks are SO friendly and helpful, so don't be shy about asking any of them to help you (many speak excellent English). There are a NUMBER of buses that pass by the Hypogeum. Do a search on here for exact directions as to where to get off the bus.

We did the Hypogeum tour in February. It is indeed fascinating! Enjoy your time there! We caught the city bus there from the bus station in the center of Valletta and then after our Hypogeum tour caught it back to Valletta. The local folks are SO friendly and helpful, so don't be shy about asking any of them to help you (many speak excellent English). There are a NUMBER of buses that pass by the Hypogeum. Do a search on here for exact directions as to where to get off the bus.

Is the Hypogeum as interesting as it looks? Is it well worth our time with the limited time that we have in Malta? We are only in Malta to 3pm.

Is is possible to see the Blue Grotto, the Hypogeum and have some time in Valletta?

Judi

On the port there is a touriststand of the government where you can get a smal map for free with details of all kind of interesting places to visit in walking distance. They also give you a free bus ticket to the town of Valletta ( Busstop just across the street ), in Valletta there are so many historical things to see that you get eyes to short and everything is in a distance of a few minutes. Valletta is just a great historical city you must see. There is also a market, from morning until 14:00 h.

Too funny! I'm sailing a week or two before Mickeysgal, and sometimes I feel like I'm stalking her because I'm following her threads as well, lol.

A great trip to both of you, daring and mickeysgal! :D

Too funny! I'm sailing a week or two before Mickeysgal, and sometimes I feel like I'm stalking her because I'm following her threads as well, lol.

Thanks,

Please come back after your trip and tell us all about it and answer all our million questions. ;)

LOL...that's too funny. :)

I'm glad to hear that some of my questions are those that others have as well. Sometimes I think that I'm asking the obvious (and I probably am :o) but I'll have to admit, cruise critic members have been very, very patient and helpful with my questions. This is my first time on a cruise in Europe and I know absolutely nothing of what to expect - but I'm learning .

Daring and Mississippi1, have a great cruise!! Are you both on the Gem? It's so very exciting overall!

With limited time forget about the Blue Grotto or the Dingli Cliffs. There´s much more which is more interesting.

I´ll go for the Tarxien temples or Hagar Qim and the Hypogeum. Tarxien and the Hypogeum are close together. Stroll downtown Valletta.

Marsaxlokk is not very impressing. It´s just a small market and the fisherboats. Besides that you will see a big industrial site at the harbor.

If you go for the Blue Grotto than Wied-I-Zurrieq might be enough.

Check

http://www.visitmalta.com/

http://www.vallettawaterfront.com/

http://www.atp.com.mt/ (Public busses, very cheap and easy to use)

http://www.mma.gov.mt/ Port Website

http://www.maltasightseeing.com/ is the website of the Hop-On Hop-Off bus starting in Sliema. The website is disconnected but the buses still ran in December. It might be a good way to get around in a short time. I haven´t used them as I´ve been to Malta on land vacations for a total of 4 weeks before.

Renting a car is also a good option but don´t forget they are driving on the "wrong" side :D!

steamboats

Hope you got a response from your enquery. Another you could try is Vince DeBono at www.guideinmalta.com We used his services in January. He was a wonderful guide & would quickly tell you which of your interests you can do in the time you have. He gave lots of advice/recs in the pre-planning email phase prior to our time with him.

As someone has already said, you MUST be up on deck for the sail in to Malta. Spectacular.

Thanks,

Please come back after your trip and tell us all about it and answer all our million questions. ;)

Daring, I promise to answer a million questions if you ask them! Be prepared to veg out on a thousand or so photos, as well! :)

LOL...that's too funny. :)

I'm glad to hear that some of my questions are those that others have as well. Sometimes I think that I'm asking the obvious (and I probably am :o) but I'll have to admit, cruise critic members have been very, very patient and helpful with my questions. This is my first time on a cruise in Europe and I know absolutely nothing of what to expect - but I'm learning .

Daring and Mississippi1, have a great cruise!! Are you both on the Gem? It's so very exciting overall!

Yep, I'll be disembarking a couple of hours before you make your way on the ship! And you're right about CC members, I think they are the greatest! :D

Yes we are all on the Gem? First Missi, then me (daring), and then Mickey. How fun! Are we all southern or east coast girls? Don't forget about us Missi when you get back. I believe Mickey leaves the week after me, more fun! As I have said before... I'm so excited and can't even stand myself.:D

Yes we are all on the Gem? First Missi, then me (daring), and then Mickey. How fun! Are we all southern or east coast girls? Don't forget about us Missi when you get back. I believe Mickey leaves the week after me, more fun! As I have said before... I'm so excited and can't even stand myself.:D

Atlanta here. Transplanted after way too many years in the cold and snowy Midwest.

Daring, I'll be thinking of you when we board. Hopefully I won't be so lost in Barcelona that we can navigate our way to the port.

The pressure is on Mississippi1. I need a full trip report before I leave. :)

Hope you got a response from your enquery. Another you could try is Vince DeBono at www.guideinmalta.com We used his services in January. He was a wonderful guide & would quickly tell you which of your interests you can do in the time you have. He gave lots of advice/recs in the pre-planning email phase prior to our time with him.

As someone has already said, you MUST be up on deck for the sail in to Malta. Spectacular.

No so fast :cool: we're using Vince for our trip back to Malta to catch the things we missed the first time. Is it worth taking the boat to the Blue Grotto? Can you swim there? We have a group for Hypo at 10am, Vince would pick us up about 8am. What should we see before the Hypo? Would we have enough time for the Blue Grotto? We're in port 8am to 3pm.

Blue Grotto or _______________?

Hypo

Tarxien

Fort Rinella or another historical military site.

St. John's Cathedral/Valleta shopping (for those that have already seen St. John's)

Can we get through all this in our time frame? Any suggestions?

Archived