Just off the Navigator 3/23-28... 2 rants and a review

My BF and I just returned from our 3/23-28 sailing on the Navigator (Cozumel and Belize). This was not our first time cruising, but it was our first time with Royal Caribbean. So since others on this board have been kind enough to post reviews so we could get ready for our trip, I'll do the same. But first, I have 2 big rants that I need to get out:

#1 - The spa. Anyone who has cruised before knows that spa treatments on a cruise are more expensive than at home... but everyone, watch out for the spa staff on the Navigator. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they lied to me twice in order to get me to book something more expensive than I'd planned. My BF and I had planned to stay on-ship when we were in Belize, and to spend the day relaxing and take advantage of any port-day specials the spa might have. When we first boarded the ship, we went right to the spa to book massages for that day (Thursday). I asked if they would have any specials or discounts for our days in port... her response: "No." I was shocked and asked the question another way -- "Most ships have specials on port days because business is light... You're not going to have any specials when we're in Belize?" "No." she replied, "we're only having one today if you'd like to get a massage now." We didn't want a massage that day, so we decided to book a couples massage for Thursday and extend the time to 75 minutes. The other woman at the desk quoted us a price... it was a lot more than I'd hoped to pay, considering we'd expected a special, but we figured a lot of people on this cruise must have booked massages... oh well.

Imagine my surprise when we got our Cruise Compass the next night, and saw an ad for discounted spa packages when we were in port in Cozumel. I called the spa that day, and said, "I see you're running port-day specials today. Will you be doing the same tomorrow when we're in Belize?" Her response: "No. Not likely." Just a few hours later, we got our next Cruise Compass, and there was a full-page ad for all the discounted packages you could get when we were in Belize. I was fuming. And the best part was, we couldn't cancel our other massage, because we'd be charged a 50% cancellation fee.

On the day of our appointment, our massage had already started when one of the masseuses asked what price we'd been quoted. When I told him, he said that we'd been quoted an incorrect price -- our massage would actually be $50 more than what we'd been told. Once again, I was fuming. And the massage was a waste, because I was lying there the whole time pissed that I'd just found out I'd been duped a 3rd time. And no, I didn't take it up with the spa staff afterwards, because they were the ones who had lied about any discounts. All told, the massage I booked (with the new, "surprise" price) cost $200 more than I would have paid if we had booked the discount package they offered. It's crazy -- why couldn't they just be truthful from the start and say "we may have specials on port days if we're not booked up, check your Cruise Compass the day before"? And even better, other couple we met had a similar experience... so if this is a recurring problem, hasn't Royal Caribbean tried to fix it? (And yes, I wrote to RC to let them know.)

#2 - the behavior of kids in the pool area. Now, let me start this by saying... Even though my BF and I don't have kids, we like them. So while I may not make a lot of friends with this next piece, calling me a child-hater won't work because that's not the case. Anyway... I have to call attention to the fact that so many parents brought their kids to the pool, and basically just let them run wild for the day. On our first sea day, we got lounge chairs under the shade by the smaller (uncovered) hot tubs... which turned out to be a perfect vantage point to watch the spectacle. There were a lot of kids on the ship, and yet I can count on one hand the number of parents I actually saw with their kids in the pool. And since most of these kids weren't being supervised, many of them were going absolutely crazy. Running full-force around the deck, bumping into people... Running around the wooden area of the hot tubs, which caused them to slip and fall. We stopped counting the number of children we watched run and fall down the stairs to the hot tubs, it got to be so many. At any given time, the smaller hot tubs we were near were packed full of 10-12 children, unsupervised (there's a big sign that says "no unsupervised children in the hot tubs"). I watched 2 girls running around the shallow area kicking water at each other... repeatedly splashing water outside the pool onto the people in deck chairs (even getting a giant dose of pool water in one poor woman's drink)... while the mom sunned herself nearby and said nothing. I watched a boy actually make a game out of seeing how many people on the lounge chairs he could hit as he splashed water out of the hot tub he was in. And no parent stepped in to tell him to stop.

The thing is, I don't blame the kids for this behavior. Kids are wired to play, to explore, to make games out of things. It takes their parents or supervisors to teach them that it's not nice to splash people who aren't in the pool, or to stop running and bumping into people. So to all of those parents who weren't supervising their kids, I say shame on you. I understand that parents want to relax and have a pina colada... but if you bring your children to the pool, then it is your responsibility to watch them. And glancing down off the balcony once in a while to make sure you can still see your child is not watching them. If you want to be free of responsibility on your cruise, then leave the kids at home.

RC had a role in this too -- I find it hysterical that when we got to our cabin, the TV was on and playing the "Cruise or Consequences" show on a continuous loop to remind us how to behave on the ship... yet they didn't enforce any of their rules. The hot tubs were packed to bursting with unsupervised kids, children were running all over the pool, people put their diapered kids in the water, parents put plates of food on the pool edge for their kids to have on hand in case they wanted a snack... and no-one from RC was around to stop it. what a disappointment. We ended up going to the Solarium on our final day, not because we don't want to be around kids, but because we were tired of watching innocent people get splashed and knocked into because the adults (parents) weren't being responsible.

---------------------------------------------

Whew. After all that, let me write up a few thoughts on the actual ship... and my apologies for the long post so far. The ship itself is beautiful, the activities plentiful. The spring breakers on our ship were lovely and never got out of control. The Quest was an absolute riot. The food was OK, with the exception of Johnny Rockets (best lunch I had on the ship) and Chops (one of the best steaks I've ever had). For dinner, we did My Time Dining and don't think we'd do it again -- the convenience was great, but the servers weren't particularly friendly except for the gentleman we had on our last night (in MTD, the servers pool their tips, so I guess there's no need to go the extra mile). One of the My Time managers was a godsend one evening when I wasn't feeling well -- I was feeling pretty green, and so we walked down to the MTD desk to cancel our dinner reservation... he offered to let us order off the main dining room menu and have it delivered to our cabin, and even made suggestions for foods that might help me feel less seasick. He was probably the best part of our cruise experience. We did the Mexican Cooking excursion in Cozumel and had a blast. Our stateroom (balcony cabin) was a nice size, and there was plenty of closet space. And "rock band karaoke" was a hoot, I got a solid drink in me and worked up the courage to sing and had a ball. :)

Since I've already written a novel, I'll stop here... I'm happy to answer any questions people have about the ship.

I totally agree with you with you problem in the Spa. This is an ongoing problem on ships. And if it isn't what you experienced its the fact that they are constantly trying to sell you some product. When I go for a treatment it is to relax. I don't want hard sell ... I don't even want conversation. So I have made a point not to do treatments on board. I'll do it before we leave for vacation to get in the mood of relaxing. After all you are on vacation and a couple of drinks will definitely relax me lol.

The children unfortunately is a problem I've seen on many ships and not just RCCL. Yes someone should step in and they do when these kids try to enter Solarium pool and that is good.

Sorry you had a couple of problems and I'm sure you did enjoy this ship as it is beautiful.

To some this may seem not the correct thing to do...but the teacher in me makes me do it. Believe me if I weren't a teacher I don't know how brave I would be. If I see children acting up at the jeopardy of themselves or others, I put on my teacher voice and tell them to stop...If they don't stop I ask them where their parents are...that always stops them. At this point in my life I know that there are some parents that are going to approach me...I never get angry, I just calmly explain the situation and explain why I said something..90% of these parents understand, and turn around and start talking to their children...to the other 10% there will never be any hope for them...so I just walk away, because I'm not going to listen to foolishness...just a little suggestion, maybe it will help.

I know your point is that some parents don't look after their children to the detriment of the child and others...and that should not be. But it is so, and this is the solution I have come up with.

We were on the sailing before you. I had the same exact experience with the spa. I asked the blond girl behind the counter on the first day if there would be any port day specials and she looked at me like I had two heads and she never ever heard of that before. Every other cruise I have been on there have been port day specials including RCL. The girls said the ship was fully booked which I have found out later that was not the case. Anyway we also loved Chops the best and did MTD which I came to the same conclusion as you

That's extremely sad if johnny rockets was the best lunch on the ship

Yeah... all the Windjammer food was mass-produced and left to sit out and cool while people picked over it. The food at Johnny Rockets was cooked to order, including an unlimited supply of fries and onion rings. My burger was hot and juicy, unlike the hardened pre-cooked burgers they spread out in the Windjammer. So I liked it a lot more. :)

The spa is definitely overpriced, especially their acupuncture!!!

It's unfortunate that their staff is either uninformed or misleading.... I won't buy any of their products as I'm perfectly happy with what I use, and tell them so as soon as the "sell" starts!

The dining room has a great salad bar on sea days. My favorite lunch! On port days we usually eat at a local restaurant. :p

We were on the same sailing. Beautiful weather, too.

Thanks for the review. I don't care if the spa is independently owned, (and yes, use the link the other poster supplied and complain there, also) they are allowed to operate on RCCL and RCCL is where the buck should stop. I'd be hopping mad, too. Above all else, I hate a liar.

We did the same cruise about a month ago, and had no problem with children, but you were sailing during spring break, so I understand there would be many more kids -- we supposedly had 300, which I thought was a lot. The pool water was like ice, so I didn't go near it after putting a foot in, and there is something about a hot tub with lots of folks (esp. kids who are less apt to interrupt play for the potty) using it, that gives me the hygiene willies, anyway.

In the end, it comes down to this, imo -- if you are going to market yourself as a family cruise line, you will attract children, and the adults sans kids will go elsewhere. Children who are ill behaved are a direct reflection on the quality of parenting.

Thanks for the review.

I'm a parent and I work with children. I completely agree with you on the children in the pool area. I will be on the Navigator in 2 weeks and I'm certain there will unsupervised children. Let me tell you - they won't be mine. Though my kids are very well behaved, kids all have their moments. I would be mortified if my kids disrupted someone elses vacation.

Saying that... it is also my vacation and I do work with kids so I need a little peace. I may switch off with my husband (or actually tell my children they can't go to the pool for 30 minutes) so that I can take a little quite time in the adult solarium.

Guess what? Time out does exist on a cruise ship. It just has a better view. I think I'm going to need a time out .... in a chair... with a sippy cup of a Coco Loco.

Archived