When's the best time to book?

mlanz

I know this is a question that's impossible to answer for certain but I'd like some thoughts. We just finished 7 day Eastern Caribbean on Eurodam three weeks ago (our first with HAL) and ahd a wonderful time.

DW and I are looking for another getaway w/o kids for next Feb/March somewhere in Caribbean. Problem is right now pricing is significantly more than what we paid. For example...interior cabins on Eurodam/westerdam are $800 for non-holiday sailings...that's what we paid for Verandah Cabins this go around...I don't want to sound too cheap but wanted to gather insight.

What is "normal" price for 7 day cruise with HAL. I realize economic times leave more questions than answers right now but anxious to hear your thoughts.

:cool:We have found that booking future cruises while on board a HAL ship is a marvelous way to hold a reservation for only a few hundred dollars and getting a OBC. You can alter your plans for up to 4 years and the perks pass on to the new booking!

Krusin':D

We have been getting into a habbit of booking through the cruise consultant while on a ship -- only have to put down $100 per person and it is good for 4 years. Once home we can make up our minds what we want to do and let our TA take over from there. And we get the ship board credit.

A couple of times we actually booked future cruises while on the ship and ended up changing our minds when we got home -- it wasn't a problem changing the cruise.

One thing we have noticed -- the majority of the 7 day Caribbean cruises don't seem to be going down in price. Instead they just keep going up.

Perhaps the current economic crisis contributed to your getting a great rate for this cruise, and HAL is hoping it's over with by next year. At any rate, Caribbean sailings are often the cheapest on any cruise line.

You can book now to lock in what you want. If there are price reductions prior to final payment time, you or your TA should be able to get the lesser cost.

Jim is right. You can get "refared" up until final payment date (but can't get "new bookings only" deals after that time). And, you're not going to get a deal like your $800 balcony at the moment.

As you probably know, most 1 week (Vista ship) spring 2010 Caribbean sailings start around $1100 pp for balconies at present. There are some wholesale brokers out there. One has balcony cabins around $950. The problem with these agencies is they provide absolutely NO service, no help with travel insurance and often push marginal insurance products, have fees for refares if the price drops, etc. I'm not sure I'd want to go that route on only my second HAL cruise.

You're going to have to look in your crystal ball, and gamble: will the difficult economic climate continue? If so, there will be lower prices in the fall, and maybe even lower prices after final payment date (less than 60 days before sailing).

For what it's worth (very little, based on my track record :rolleyes:) I booked now for November.

If you can be flexible, wait until after the final payment date. I wasn't really planning on taking a cruise this month, but we booked one in February and had a great time on the Westerdam a couple of weeks ago.

Right now, to book our cabin for next March would cost $700 more than we paid for the the two of us this year. I'm willing to wait. We may or may not find another deal next year. I'm not married to one particular cruise or even one particular cruise line.

I think if you have a specific itinerary and cabin that you really want, you should book as far out as possible to get the cabin and the dining time you want. If you aren't sure or don't care about cabin or itinerary, book after final payment. We did that on a HAL Alaska cruise last summer and a Princess Coastal this May- after final payment date, many cabins open up and sometimes you can get good deals. This may only work in the current economy though.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is a question that's impossible to answer for certain but I'd like some thoughts. We just finished 7 day Eastern Caribbean on Eurodam three weeks ago (our first with HAL) and ahd a wonderful time.

DW and I are looking for another getaway w/o kids for next Feb/March somewhere in Caribbean. Problem is right now pricing is significantly more than what we paid. For example...interior cabins on Eurodam/westerdam are $800 for non-holiday sailings...that's what we paid for Verandah Cabins this go around...I don't want to sound too cheap but wanted to gather insight.

What is "normal" price for 7 day cruise with HAL. I realize economic times leave more questions than answers right now but anxious to hear your thoughts.

Mark,

Money is no object for you cmon. You are a high roller.

Craig

Archived