St Kitt suggestions for excursions

crash3x

We were in St Kitts in early Feb and enjoyed our tour with Ilva Wallace. We visited Caribelle Batik at Romney Manor(beautiful grounds and nice shopping), Brimstone Hill Fortress(very interesting history and amazing views), the Black Rocks(volcanic rocks at the ocean's edge; a quite striking photo op), and had about an hour at South Friars Beach. A very nice day for $40 pp. You can contact Ilva regarding her availability at ilvawallace@yahoo.com.

We were in St Kitts in early Feb and enjoyed our tour with Ilva Wallace. We visited Caribelle Batik at Romney Manor(beautiful grounds and nice shopping), Brimstone Hill Fortress(very interesting history and amazing views), the Black Rocks(volcanic rocks at the ocean's edge; a quite striking photo op), and had about an hour at South Friars Beach. A very nice day for $40 pp. You can contact Ilva regarding her availability at ilvawallace@yahoo.com.

How much time were you given at Brimstone Hill?

Travellingguy, Ilva left it up to our group to decide how much time. So, we decided among ourselves to spend an hour. My husband loves history, so he could have spent longer, and there is a lot to see, so we spent a bit longer than the hour. As I mentioned, the views are just incredible. There is a short video they recommend you see first, and there is an entry fee as you drive into the park. I believe that was $8PP (well worth it!). Then, you are free to wander to your hearts' content. http://www.brimstonehillfortress.org/

Becki

We toured with Thenford Grey when we were in St. Kitts in November. His tour was very reasonably priced ($40/pp at that time) and he is a very knowledgeable and personable guide. We met at about 9 am and he returned us to the port at about 3 or 330 pm. Admission to all sites are include in his tour price. His van is great! It's new and holds almost 30 people, although we were only 10 on our tour. We had a wonderful day with Mr. Grey and are looking forward to visiting St. Kitts again.

I wrote to this woman and since she did not respond right away, I wrote to the other tour operators listed on this thread. After 3 days she wrote and I wrote back letting her know that I had got someone else. Well what do you know, she wrote back something really alarming to me, almost threatening, so I wanted to see if she was all air, so I wrote back to her, asking if I took the tour with her, would I be safer... haven't heard back from her. I have no idea what her intentions were to frighten me about the island saying "someone may attack me or my group, so I better be careful, alot of things happening on the island". Should I be concerned?

Forgot to mention that she brought down her price to 30pp from the original 40pp and when I still refused her offer, that is when she sent me that email. Anyone been there lately, I need to be assured that the island is safe. It is our first trip and I am taking my parents with me.

Travellingguy, wow! I know that there were a couple of threads on CC about some attacks on tourists, and perhaps that is what Ilva was referring to. When we were touring with her, she did point out some areas in town that we should stay away from, if we wished to sightsee on our own upon our return to town. The island is very poor and unemployment is very high. If you go on a tour with a reputable operator you should be fine. Ilva is a reputable operator. I don't believe she was trying to threaten you, but perhaps trying to scare you away from using a taxi driver who is not well known? I can't say for sure. Any of the tour operators would be fine. They only take you to areas where there is lots of tourist traffic. At no time did I feel unsafe on St Kitts, but neither did we venture back into town on our own.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Royston last week (4/11/09) and were absolutely thrilled with his services.

His van is not top of the line (older with no a/c - but the weather with the windows worked fine); however it seemed to add to the fun of the tour. He charged us $50.00 per person and the tour started at 8:30 am and he had us back at the ship at 3:30 pm. He included drinks (local beer, soda and water) and stopped at a local street stand for some incredible BBQ chicken that was more than enough to feed us.

He is very patient and works on your time, not his. Highlights of this tour included a drive thru town and capital's main cemetary, Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill Fortress (he paid the entrance fee), a point where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean, up close shore line drive at Dieppe Bay, Black rocks, South East Penninsula, Turtle Beach for a great view of Nevis and he let us take our time at Cockleshell Beach. While driving into Romney Manor there is a man there with a Green Monkey named Johnny who will enter your van and climb on sholders for pictures. Cost = $10.00 USD. Royston was going to pay; however had only large EC dollars so I flipped the charge.

This was the last tour of the cruise itinerary and Royston made it a most memorable one - highly recommended.

We toured with Thenford Grey in March. This was one of the best island tours we've ever had. He met us at the dock and we toured on his immaculate, well maintained bus. We were about 12 people, I think. His bus could hold probably 24. We went to Brimstone fortress and had plenty of time, never rushed. We also went to Carabelle Batik, where Thenford took us through the gardens pointing out the different plants. We drove over part of the island with spectacular vistas and spent time at a beach, as well. It was a lovely, unrushed day. Check him out on CC and the internet. Everyone on our tour was very pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi after reading all the posts before leaving on our cruise we contacted Royston, who was already booked on a Volcano trek with another passenger, so Royston set us up with his cousin Ashton. The both met us at the pier. We had a great time with Ashton he stopped at many places and gave us a great tour and history of the island. We could stop any where we wanted for photos and the time and locations were up to us. He stopped at many places we did not know about for history and beautiful views. We went to Romney Manor, Brimstone hill, black rocks, Timothy Point, the golden lemon, etc. and completely around the Island, then he dropped some off at the beach and others in town for lunch and other back at ship then went back to beach to return guest to ship. the total was $80.00 for the day for everybody, total. His van held 16 we had 12. We paid for our own fee $8.00 pp to Brimstone Hill and for our own lunch. My wife and I wanted to eat at Ballyhoo's which was great location and food. This was much better than any of the ships excursions that we went on at the other islands. You can contact them at their website www.roystontours.com or his email: roystontours@hotmail.com.

Looking for suggestions in St Kitts. Is there any tour websites to check out that would be cheaper than what Carnival offers? What would you suggest?

We just did the "Fan ta sea" catamaran snorkeling tour on the Explorer of seas last week and this is the company that did it. It was fantastic! The cats were huge and in excellent condition, the crew really terrific and waited on us the entire time, we had an open bar with soft drinks also and snacks, and a great beach BBQ buffet! It was 6 hours and 119.00 pp I think and we did book it thru the ship and worth every penny. I would definitely do it again!:)

Leeward Islands ChartersVisit_Website.gifPO Box 586

Basseterre

St. Kitts

Email: saillic@thecable.netWelcome aboard the Spirit of St.Kitts, or her sister ship Eagle,both luxurious 70 foot catamarans. Share fun with new friends from around the world. It's an open bar and our friendly crew is glad to provide the refreshments, great island music and hospitality that make this day unlike any other sailing experience.

We will likely be doing another cruise with a stop in St Kitts in March 2010. As a result of our experience with her in 2005, I would not use her if she was the last guide on the island. Will look to the others who are recommended here.

• 1 month later...

St Kitts now offers Ziplining and other great excursions. We booked outside of our cruise lines through st kitts tour store dot com. We have not gone on our cruise, yet...ONE MORE WEEK! :) But we are very happy with the service we have received so far from this company. I will report back when we get back to the USA. They offer many great things and they are located right by where you dock.

• 1 month later...

How much time does it take to get from the port to Cockleshell beach? We are thinking of doing an 8:30 a.m. train (3 hours), having lunch back on the ship, and then catching a cab to the Reggae Beach Bar. Our ship leaves at 5. Is this feasible?

We just did the "Fan ta sea" catamaran snorkeling tour on the Explorer of seas last week and this is the company that did it. It was fantastic! The cats were huge and in excellent condition, the crew really terrific and waited on us the entire time, we had an open bar with soft drinks also and snacks, and a great beach BBQ buffet! It was 6 hours and 119.00 pp I think and we did book it thru the ship and worth every penny. I would definitely do it again!:)

Leeward Islands ChartersVisit_Website.gifPO Box 586

Basseterre

St. Kitts

Email: saillic@thecable.netWelcome aboard the Spirit of St.Kitts, or her sister ship Eagle,both luxurious 70 foot catamarans. Share fun with new friends from around the world. It's an open bar and our friendly crew is glad to provide the refreshments, great island music and hospitality that make this day unlike any other sailing experience.

On the website it says that they have a private beach area on Pinney Beach. Can you tell me more about this? Is it really private (just for the people on the tour) or are their vendors trying to sell things?

All beaches in The Federation are public. This is just a part of the beach that they use. If vendors approach you, a friendly no thank you will suffice.

I do, but on the website for the cat sails it said that they have a Private Beach.;)

Archived