Question for Expeienced Mexican Riveria Crusing

Are the sea rougher sailing from California than from leaving from New Jersey or from Florida?

We are considering an April cruise on the Radiance 2010. It's roundtrip from San Diego and goes to Cabo, Mazatlan, Acapulco, Ixtapa, & Puerto Vallarta.

I get seasick still after many cruises, so I'd like to know before we decide.

What's it really like sailing from the West coast?

I've read that the first and last sea day tend to be rough, but that was not my experience. I got back a week ago yesterday from a Mexican Riviera cruise and it was the calmest week I've ever had at sea. I took meclizine before we left and never took another the rest of the trip until I got to the airport to fly home.

DW and I have cruised to the Mexican Riviera many times on both RCCL and CCL ships. These vacations were taken between March and August usually. Each trip down (southbound) was very smooth, but on the last leg of our cruise out of Cabo (northbound), it seemed to get a bit rougher. This was between Cabo and San Diego. Nothing really too dramatic, but a noticable change, which always seemed to hit at about first seating for dinner. DW would need to make a run to the cabin to put on her wristbands. DW is very pron to motion sickeness and had found that these wristbands are a blessing. Has used the over the count meds before, but did not like the side effects. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

I've done the Mex. Riv. cruise 4 times and I've always found the last day - from Cabo and day at sea to be a bit rougher than the way down to Mexico. It's not terrible - but, you can certainly feel it more. Use the wristband -- I hear that they work wonders! Happy cruising!

The northbound return sailing on the Mex Riv will always be rough(er) than the southbound because you are sailing against the currents. I've done this route several times, and it's always a bit surprising. However, by the time you are heading north, you've most probably gotten some stronger "sea legs" and hopefully will be more used to the ship's motion.

Pack both the sea bands and meclazine just in case.....

OMG, i was laughing at the site of the pool from the sun deck on Princess that day. then, i went downstairs to help pack in an inside cabin and had to come up for air several times.. LOLOLOLOL. they told me they call it the cabbage patch, and man were we rolling. Have a blast!

Archived