Crazy Question....Am i crazy or what?

GI_Joe

Ok.....don't laugh......well ok ..........go ahead and laugh.

emotion-2.gif In the Port of Roatan I have booked a sea plane that will take me and my bride of 20 years to a deserted island for the day....They drop us off....and I hope they come back for us 5 hours later.

Here goes the question. I want to do a picnic basket kind of deal with wine cheese, a picnic basket, blanket.......little I-pod playing some tunes of yester year.....get the drift....

But 1. I don't want to lug all this stuff through the airport and thru the embarkation process.....and also I want it to be a surprise......

So do you think I could FED-EX the before mentioned items (minus the food) to the local post office and have them deliver it on the day I arrive....and mark it "Hold For ME"

Or does someone have a better idea? What if I send it to the Port athority to hold for me?

Can I mail it to myself on the Ship?

Any ideas? Do you think I am crazy or what?

GI Joe.

We are on the Carnival Valor 26 APR out of Miami

Don't believe that you can fed-ex to a post office. You could make reservations at a local hotel and fed-ex stuff. Taking foods off the ship is not allowed. I might contact the best local hotel and ask them to make you up a picnic lunch with wine and fruits, and pick it up on the way to the seaplane. Or see if the seaplane people can get it for you- with the prices of seaplanes they should be able to do that. You might also call them and see what they could help arrange. Sounds like a heavenly idea- deserted island are wonderful.

Why not ask the pilot to arrange this for you? (I assume you've booked this privately and have been in contact with him/her)

And if you haven't booked this privately, I have no suggestion but wanted to tell you that you sound like a really romantic fella and your wife is a lucky lady! :)

Thanks

Yes I have booked this privately. I will contact the company and see if they can accomadate my ideas.

As far as the time goes.....We dock/tender at 1200noon......and depart at 7:00PM Thats 7 hours.

The sea plane picks us up at 12:30 and brings us back at 5:30 pm. Is this going to cause me any issues? Aslo the piolt has promised me a cool fly over the cruise ship......I have more ideas for that....but that will wait.....(Can you say water balloons????LOL)

Why not ask the pilot to arrange this for you? (I assume you've booked this privately and have been in contact with him/her) /quote]

I was going to suggest this as well. They're pretty accomodating, especially when celebrating a special occasion.

I think you'll be fine for time. It sounds like it'll be a beautiful & very romantic venture for the two of you.

Congrats on your anniversary and enjoy!!

Thanks

Yes I have booked this privately. I will contact the company and see if they can accomadate my ideas.

As far as the time goes.....We dock/tender at 1200noon......and depart at 7:00PM Thats 7 hours.

The sea plane picks us up at 12:30 and brings us back at 5:30 pm. Is this going to cause me any issues? Aslo the piolt has promised me a cool fly over the cruise ship......I have more ideas for that....but that will wait.....(Can you say water balloons????LOL)

DUDE,,,,,,

YOU'RE MAKING IT TOUGH ON THE REST OF US!!:mad:

Just kidding, sounds great and I hope it all works out well.

While this sounds very romantic, it would terrify me to be alone for 5 hours. I would spend most of the time worrying about whether the plane would come back for me. The weather can turn AFTER you have been dropped off and the pilot cannot come back for you. What if one of you gets hurt, or the deserted island ends up less than desirable (There are swarms of insects, one of you cuts your foot on the rocks in the water, riptides, animal, you are bored after 2 hours? One of you gets sunburned or needs a bathroom.) I would prefer a deserted beach on the main island. At least I would feel I could walk to the road and hitchhike in an emergency.

I guess I've been reading these boards for too long to know the best layed plans often go astray... Even if the pilot does come back and noone is hurt, I've gone on enough cruises to know that the weather is often less than ideal and it rains on and off on these islands. I can't imagine shivering and waiting 4 hours for someone to come back for me.

Good luck. You sound like a great guy. Let us know how it goes.

While this sounds very romantic, it would terrify me to be alone for 5 hours. I would spend most of the time worrying about whether the plane would come back for me. The weather can turn AFTER you have been dropped off and the pilot cannot come back for you. What if one of you gets hurt, or the deserted island ends up less than desirable (There are swarms of insects, one of you cuts your foot on the rocks in the water, riptides, animal, you are bored after 2 hours? One of you gets sunburned or needs a bathroom.) I would prefer a deserted beach on the main island. At least I would feel I could walk to the road and hitchhike in an emergency.

I guess I've been reading these boards for too long to know the best layed plans often go astray... Even if the pilot does come back and noone is hurt, I've gone on enough cruises to know that the weather is often less than ideal and it rains on and off on these islands. I can't imagine shivering and waiting 4 hours for someone to come back for me.

I suspect no one will be inviting you for this sort of outing.

I do not know about Carnival, but on another line I have sent stuff ahead in care of the cruise line's port agent. It has worked without a hitch several times. again, this was NOT Carnival.

What was the name of that movie with Tom Hanks.....He worked for FED-EX and the plane crashed.......

Thats what I am shooting for.......just a shorter stay.....LOL

(What was the name .......?)

What was the name of that movie with Tom Hanks.....He worked for FED-EX and the plane crashed.......

Thats what I am shooting for.......just a shorter stay.....LOL

(What was the name .......?)

OMG, you are trying to re-create 'CASTAWAY' only with more than a few coconuts for lunch? lol

It sounds very romantic, and lovely, but I too agree, I don't think I could have a plane drop me and my DH off at a deserted island in another country and just hope (and may I add PRAY to that?) it returns.

Best of luck though, I hope it all works out. ;)

I think your idea sounds very romantic.

It's rained for a while during the two times we've been to Roatan. The first time we were swimming and wet anyway, so I just sat out in the rain until it ended while hubby grabbed something to eat while waiting for the rain to end. The second time it started raining not long after we arrived at the beach. It stopped raining by the time we got our things situated in a storage locker and a short wait.

My point is, if it rains it may not last very long. If you don't want to get wet, take a couple of rain ponchos or take a water proof bag to carry your beach towels so if you do get cold, you'll be able to dry off and cover up with them for warmth.

The couple doesn't need to worry about abandonment. People will know they've gone off on this plane and the company will have records of where they drop the couple off.

My biggest worry would be wondering if the island was truly deserted :p:o.

Have a blast! It is the adventure you are looking for not perfection right? I stayed on an island in the South Pacific for a few days and it was great.

I am assuming if you went so far as to plan water balloons you checked out the company and the island and it is safe and dependable.

This will be something you always remember.

I have been to Roatan and it was one of the most primitive places that I have been too. With only 7 hours and all kinds of things that could happen I would skip the whole thing. How do you think your wife would feel?

You could also have a fatal heart attack in your own bathroom at home. I think his idea sounds lovely and I'm glad I don't go through life dreaming up things to worry about. :)

Thanks

The sea plane picks us up at 12:30 and brings us back at 5:30 pm. Is this going to cause me any issues? Aslo the piolt has promised me a cool fly over the cruise ship......I have more ideas for that....but that will wait.....(Can you say water balloons????LOL)[/quote]

I'm going to have to agree with some of the other posters......this sounds like a very romantic and exciting plan...but.....there are just too many risks for me to ever consider this.....I try not to assume the worst, but I do consider the worst when making any kind of excursions...

Short of natural death, which I actually don't consider cause it can happen anywhere anytime...There are some very real potential disasters in this plan. My only word of advice would be.....take your passports with you...

Oh and BTW.......you are surely not even joking about dropping water balloons onto the ship from a plane are you???????? I wouldn't think that a plane would even be allowed that close to the ship, and I'm pretty sure that you would be in deep doo doo with both the local authorities as well as Carnival.

WOW !! after 20 yrs and still so sweet & romantic !! what a lucky lady your wife is !!

You have just gotten my DH in alot of trouble!! :D we're going on cruise for our 1st anniv on 5/3 & he will never in million yrs think of anything like this !! But boy is he going to hear about this. haha.

Have a wonderful time and don't worry about anything !! I wish you both blue skies and turquoise water and wonderful memories for that day. :)

you'll have a cell phone & the #'s of the plane & ship so if need can call them. so no problem.

Archived