Whats going on with travelers checks???

Help!!!! We have always traveled with travelers checks and our banks here are saying they are not doing them anymore, instead a atm card that costs $10 and all your money goes on that. What are you doing in this situation? Are all the little stores in port going to have phone lines to use this card and just thinking about having all that cash in $ is a little scarey.. THoughts????

Help!!!! We have always traveled with travelers checks and our banks here are saying they are not doing them anymore, instead a atm card that costs $10 and all your money goes on that. What are you doing in this situation? Are all the little stores in port going to have phone lines to use this card and just thinking about having all that cash in $ is a little scarey.. THoughts????

I'd keep calling around to see if you can find a place that still issues them. Last I heard most AAA offices sold them as does most credit unions. We travel with them and no way do I want to put money on a pre-paid visa type card. Too many things could go wrong IMO.

They are still sold and are still cashed but they are getting harder to find. In Jan I went to the bank where I had always purchased them in the past and they offered me the $10 debit card thingy another poster commented about. Pass...

AAA still has them, as do a lot of credit unions (that's where I ended up purchasing mine). Even if you don't have a TA, call one local in your area that's listed in the yellow pages and see if they can point you to where you can pick some up.

I'd keep calling around to see if you can find a place that still issues them. Last I heard most AAA offices sold them as does most credit unions. We travel with them and no way do I want to put money on a pre-paid visa type card. Too many things could go wrong IMO.

AAA still offers them.

I thought traveler checks were getting harder and harder to use and get cashed.

The ship will cash them.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Travelers_Checks.aspx

Unless you are talking thousands in cash, they are too big a hassle for me. I just carry cash and credit cards. If I run out of cash, I hit the ATM.

I know Amex was trying to go to a Traveler's Card but had zero success with them because they were not able make them counterfeit-proof. Any American Express Travel Services office should have them. Now, it's entirely possible that this has changed since Amex laid my sister off last summer ....

Yeah, I would be leary of taking one of those cards as well. The convenience of them for the banks is the transaction clears within 72 hours. But if Amex can't make them safe I have little faith in anyone else's abilities to do so.

Don't put it onthe prepaid visa. Ports like Costa Maya/Belize will not take it. they don't take credit cards. maybe at Diamond Intl, but the little shops and tours do not take credit cards. We found this out the hard way. Even in Cozumel at Nachi Cocum and Chankanaab they didn't take them. We had to take a cab to the bank and use our ATM card to get cash. Very confusing because then you are getting their currency and paying their fees and yours. The ship has an ATM but we didn't think about that. Figured cards were accepted everywhere. Actually even to rent the scooters in Nassau we needed cash only but my inlaws had the cash with them to cover for us. We will always bring cash and keep it locked in our safe or het small amounts from ships ATM.

I thought traveler checks were getting harder and harder to use and get cashed.

They are getting harder to use, I had some extra ones from a trip a few years ago, I used them to pay for a ring. You would have thought I was trying to pay with monopoly money haha

They are getting harder to use, I had some extra ones from a trip a few years ago, I used them to pay for a ring. You would have thought I was trying to pay with monopoly money haha

If you have any left over after a cruise you can deposit them right into your bank account the same as a check :) Many people don't realize this and try using them at various merchants with that odd strange look. The ships cash them at the pursers desk without hesitation as long as you do not fill them out before they tell you to.

I work for AAA. We do NOT sell traveler's checks here. Some clubs still sell. Most are getting away from them. There is a lot of fraud with travelers checks. My bank no longer sells them. Merchants are not wanting to accept them.

I will never use travelers checks again. When I went on a cruise about 8 years ago it was nothing but a hassle. The local people in the Bahamas didn't know what they were and wouldn't take them. I had to borrow cash from my friend's dad, then cash them on the ship and pay him back. If you are just gonna cash them, what is the point? God knows I love my check card and almost never have cash on me at home, but when going on trips you just don't know and nothing is better than good old American Green.:D

I bought my travelers checks from my credit union. That way I don’t have any cash sitting around the house or I am not carrying a lot of cash on the way to the ship. I cash them on the ship and keep the money in the safe. It’s a couple of extra steps that I think is safe. The credit union doesn’t charge for them and the ship doesn’t charge to cash them.

I bought my travelers checks from my credit union. That way I don’t have any cash sitting around the house or I am not carrying a lot of cash on the way to the ship. I cash them on the ship and keep the money in the safe. It’s a couple of extra steps that I think is safe. The credit union doesn’t charge for them and the ship doesn’t charge to cash them.

I totally agree with you!! Thanks for your thoughts. Its just a preference we prefer, no argument if its a good idea or not.:o

We just got Travelers Checks at our bank, no problem. We use them everytime we travel, never had a problem (except Once when I signed on the wrong line, had to take it back to my bank when we got back and deposit into my account...no real problem, just my mistake)

We just cash them at OnBoard.

Be careful of that cash card. If your name is not on it, most places will not accept it, including Carnival as I am told.

Use a credit card, with a little cash for other things. Pay the credit card off with your cash when you get home. There is a safe in your cabin to keep most of your cash in.

My AAA only offers the plastic travelers cheque cards...which can NOT be used on cruise ships.....(at least some lines say they will NOT take them...)

same with the prepaid VISA/AMEX gift cards....if your name is not embossed many places won't take them....you CAN use them to PAY for the cruise, but not on the ship..and they are a PITA unless you know the exact balance...

We got TCs at my bank-for free...(one of the W banks...my mom has the other W bank-they have them, but charge!)

no problems cashing them on ships, or in ports....or even around home. I have noticed more merchants asking for ID as i guess people make their own at home!:eek::rolleyes:

Used to use 'em, but it bacame such a hassle in some ports (some will not take them or credit cards), so now we just take cash and spread it out among us and in other secret places. Kept in the safe in the cabin. we use credit cards where accepted and for any large purchase (few and far between). Traveler's Checks can be cashed at the pursers desk, but we have decided just not to bother with them anymore. If something does arise, we both have ATM cards.

On one cruise that I took I had the worst luck in trying to cash them. The store that I was at kept saying that my signature did not match and refused to cash them even though I had a drivers liscense with me.

I would be leary with taking a debit card also because of it being tied in with your checking account. I have heard stories where someone has taken the number and cleared the money out of the account.

Now, I just use cash or a credit card.

This is a good thread. I always take Travellers checks because I have no credit cards and don't want to tie up my Visa/checkcard. I travel without DH and don't want him to have problems. I am giving my cash to my friend and she is going to buy me funship dollars. She charged the cruise and I am paying her back. I will take any extra cash and buy a few travellers checks to cash on board. The pursers desk always takes them. I have never had a problem getting them or getting them cashed on board. I make sure I cash them the night before a port.

Candi

We are also considering traveler's checks. If you check the AmEx website, you can search for a local bank that still sells them.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/personal/cardmember/additionalproductsandservices/giftcardsandtravelerscheques/travelerschequesandforeigncurrency.do?vgnextoid=6d17fc671492a110VgnVCM100000defaad94RCRD&vgnextchannel=95ddb81e8482a110VgnVCM100000defaad94RCRD

I don't want any holds restricting my bank account by using my check card and I don't use credit cards anymore. I think these would help out a lot on board.

Archived