Was anyone scared to scuba???

littlebird00

I have a question for those of you that are certified scuba divers. Were you ever scared to get certified, not the certification itself, but actually being in the water? We have been thinking about getting certified since our trip to the Caribbean, where we snorkeled, and I fell in love with it. I have just always had a huge fear of deep water, and not really drowning, but now that I think of it, thats pretty scary too! :eek: Ha, but this is something I REALLY want to do, and was just wondering if anyone felt like this and perhaps over came that fear?

Hi Little;

My wife always wanted to try to SCUBA dive, but isn't a strong swimmer and was very fearfull of trying. For her birthday I bought her lessons and with a fabulous and patient SCUBA instructor she finally and slowly got over all of her fears. She now really enjoys it, but it took a bit of patience for her to get through it all. Her first dive in the Caribbean though hooked her.

regards

Scott

I am still a very new diver - but my first introduction to anything Scuba-ish was a SNUBA excursion on a Hawaii cruise some 4 years ago. Scuba had intrigued me for many years - and the SNUBA gave me just a "taste" of it.

The "scary part" was that first breath thru the reg underwater - convincing myself to trust the equipment and that when I breathed in, I wasn't going to bring in a mouth full of the sea.

After that, i was completely bitten by the bug - and I finally broke down and won my wife over last summer and got certified - did several dives on a port-intensive Carribean cruise last year - I intend to hit quarries several times this summer - and we've got 2 dives planned for a cruise this fall.

I have a question for those of you that are certified scuba divers. Were you ever scared to get certified, not the certification itself, but actually being in the water? We have been thinking about getting certified since our trip to the Caribbean, where we snorkeled, and I fell in love with it. I have just always had a huge fear of deep water, and not really drowning, but now that I think of it, thats pretty scary too! :eek: Ha, but this is something I REALLY want to do, and was just wondering if anyone felt like this and perhaps over came that fear?

Hi,

I suggest you talk to your local dive shop where you want look into certifying. I know mine has "free" pool tryouts where you can strap on the gear, get a quick lesson and then get in the pool and swim around to try it out. This is usually the best because if you do get "freaked out" you can just stand up. If you get comfortable you can then go to the "deep" end of the pool and see that depth really isn't bad. To be honest with you, except for decent and ascent, I'm swimming about two feet from the bottom and don't notice how deep I am (the opposite of going high, just don't look up). :D

Randall

Thank you for the replys. I'm pretty sure we are going to do it. I know the certification here is part in the pool, and then the open water part is in a lagoon around here that has no fish or anything in it, because of acid from the rocks that are around it. Actually, I'm not sure that acid is the right word, but I have swam there, and there are no fish, just ship wrecks they have placed at the bottom. So I am not nervous for the pool or open water training, being in the ocean might be different though. But, I'll try everything once! Its worth the try!

I can identify with your fear. I'm not a strong swimmer as I am a mountain girl and rarely get into the water! My first experience was snorkeling while on a cruise and then tried "snuba". I was hooked after snuba. Had to try diving after that! Tried several resort dives and eventually got certified (barely passed the swimming part). No words can describe the beauty of the sea. You loose track of time down there! It is exciting and thrilling yet so relaxing as all you hear is your breathing. The fear is replaced with 'awe' and excitement. Not only from the dive but from overcoming the fear of deep water and 'man made equipment'. Go for it! There is no other experience like diving. Equalize early and often=)

I became certified after meeting my half man - half fish husband. He was a Navy Seal and truly has no fear of the water, which helps my confidence too.

Because of where I am from, I became certified in a quarry which was merky, cold and pretty deep for my first real test. Fortunately my husband was there with me during the test which helped to calm me.

Once I became certified we took a trip to the Florida Keys. I was leary of diving again because of my experiences at home but once I got into that crystal clear water I was hooked!!!

Once underwater, you really have no concept of how deep you actually are. I looked at my computer on one particular dive only to discover I was almost 100 feet down!

I have never regretting diving and I don't think you would either. It's certainly worth trying and if you decide after a few shallow dives it isn't for you, then you don't have to continue.

Good luck with your decision and happy diving! :)

Randall beat me to it. I was going to say that everyone is different. A hundred stories of being afraid but loving scuba once trying it does not say you'll like it. Conversely, hearing hundreds of stories were the fear just made it worse does not say you will hate it.

Go to a local scuba dive shop and see if they have a 'try-it' session. Some shops will offer this for free (the hope is you'll like it and buy hundreds of dollars of equipment from them or at least one or two certifications). Some shops might charge $25 to $50 to cover costs. Met the instructors. Which ever instructor you like the most is the one you should go with.

By the way, I TOTALLY CANNOT relate to being afraid of scuba diving. Even before I learned to scuba dive I was a total waterbaby. I remember watching the television show "The Man From Atlantis" and thinking that would be so cool to have gills and swim underwater forever.

By the way, I TOTALLY CANNOT relate to being afraid of scuba diving. Even before I learned to scuba dive I was a total waterbaby. I remember watching the television show "The Man From Atlantis" and thinking that would be so cool to have gills and swim underwater forever.

I guess I'm older because I was a HUGE Sea Hunt fan.

I guess I'm older because I was a HUGE Sea Hunt fan.

Not being from the United States, there were a lot of shows I never got to see growing up. I only ever got to see Lloyd Bridges in movies. It was only after I started scuba diving that I heard about Sea Hunt. Still haven't see the re-runs.

Once we got cable television (1970s) I started seeing more and more American television.

Not being from the United States, there were a lot of shows I never got to see growing up. I only ever got to see Lloyd Bridges in movies. It was only after I started scuba diving that I heard about Sea Hunt. Still haven't see the re-runs.

Once we got cable television (1970s) I started seeing more and more American television.

You're in luck, there's an episode of Sea Hunt on the internet:

Randall

Hi Littlebird,

Why don't you try doing a resort dive next time you are in the Caribbean to see if you like it? Or just go for it and get certified. You won't know how you feel until you try it. (Just don't get talked into spending $1000 worth of equipment until you know.)

I am a certified diver but I am afraid to dive. Most of my family is certified (my husband, sisters, father, brother-in-law, niece and nephew) and everyone LOVES it except for me. There are some things I love about it. The underwater world of the Caribbean is amazing and beautiful and like being on another planet. I love seeing all the different kinds of fish. But I am uncomfortable almost to the point of panic underwater. Kind of strange because I grew up in the water and I love snorkeling.

I've pretty much decided not to scuba dive anymore because I don't feel that I'm a safe diver when I'm so nervous. It's not worth the anxiety I feel and definitely not worth putting myself or others in danger.

Anyway, I would never tell people that they are going to love scuba diving but I wouldn't hesitate to encourage people to try it. I'm proud of myself for getting certified and I'm glad I got to see what it was like. And you probably will love it, if the 7 to 1 odds in my family are any indication. :)

Litttlebird, I totally relate to your fears. I'm going to my first class tomorrow night and have been studying the PADI manual but for me it's a HUGE step outside of my comfort zone. I know a lot of it is a fear of the unknown. I'm 48, a runner and biker but not a huge swimmer. However, my husband, 21 year old son & 19 year old daughter are all certified and we're going to Tahiti this June...I decided the worse thing in life is regret and I don't want to get there and regret not being able to join them on their underwater adventures. So here I go...

Just remeber...if you do get panicked and hate it...come back and try again.

Getting used to trusting your equipment and yourself takes awhile. So don't give up if it just seems too much at first.

After you've really worked at it awile...then you'll know how you really feel about it.

Just luck

Litttlebird, I totally relate to your fears. I'm going to my first class tomorrow night and have been studying the PADI manual but for me it's a HUGE step outside of my comfort zone. I know a lot of it is a fear of the unknown. I'm 48, a runner and biker but not a huge swimmer. However, my husband, 21 year old son & 19 year old daughter are all certified and we're going to Tahiti this June...I decided the worse thing in life is regret and I don't want to get there and regret not being able to join them on their underwater adventures. So here I go...

You are SO going to have a great time and you'll be there at a great time of the year.

Well, I'm sorry to report that after thoroughly doing my homework, acing all of the written tests, and reporting to the pool for my private lessons with an excited and can-do attitude this past week...it's been an absolute disaster. The instructor (also the dive shop owner--the only one in this area) should not be teaching, in my opinion. He has no patience--I thought he was going to throw my weight belt at me when I had difficulty buckling it in the water--this is at the beginning of the 2nd session that he started with by having me put my BCD, tank & weight belt on in the deep end. By the end of that session, I was shaking uncontrollably (tension? beginning of some sort of shock? I don't know), had a horrible headache in the back of my head that 4 days later still persists, and I've developed fears of the water that I NEVER had before. I'm 99% sure it's the instructor, but I have no choice here. So, my husband is going to the next session as a refresher for him and I'm going to stick with snorkeling in Tahiti. I may give it a try some other time, some other place, but right now I just am hugely relieved to not have to set foot in that pool with that man again.

Well, I'm sorry to report that after thoroughly doing my homework, acing all of the written tests, and reporting to the pool for my private lessons with an excited and can-do attitude this past week...it's been an absolute disaster. The instructor (also the dive shop owner--the only one in this area) should not be teaching, in my opinion. He has no patience--I thought he was going to throw my weight belt at me when I had difficulty buckling it in the water--this is at the beginning of the 2nd session that he started with by having me put my BCD, tank & weight belt on in the deep end. By the end of that session, I was shaking uncontrollably (tension? beginning of some sort of shock? I don't know), had a horrible headache in the back of my head that 4 days later still persists, and I've developed fears of the water that I NEVER had before. I'm 99% sure it's the instructor, but I have no choice here. So, my husband is going to the next session as a refresher for him and I'm going to stick with snorkeling in Tahiti. I may give it a try some other time, some other place, but right now I just am hugely relieved to not have to set foot in that pool with that man again.

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience! When i finally got in the pool for my first lesson, we started out in the shallow end, with all of our equipment ON, just going underwater, learning how to 'breath' underwater. I can't believe they threw you in the deep end right off the bat. I truely believe you had a poor instructor, someone without compassion or patience.

You may want to check into a private lesson in Tahiti. Good luck and don't give up! :)

...that has no fish or anything in it, because of acid from the rocks that are around it. Actually, I'm not sure that acid is the right word, but I have swam there, and there are no fish, just ship wrecks they have placed at the bottom. So I am not nervous for the pool or open water training, being in the ocean might be different though. But, I'll try everything once! Its worth the try!

is it the fish you are afraid of? That will make it very different when you are in the ocean since trips intentionally go to where there are a lot of fish- that is half the point unless you are into wreck diving. And even with wrecks there are usually lots of fish and sea life.

Sorry- I should have read further down the page. I am sorry you had a bad time of it- what a jerk the guy sounds. I would stick to snorkling this next trip- if you are by shallow reefs and in clear water you can see a whole lot any way. Get yourself comfortable again and do not go back to this guy. If you decide to give it another try, meet and get to know your instructor and explain your fears. A first or second lesson in a pool should not be a fear inducing experience and this guy should know it. But in answer to your opening question, I have no fear of water and took to scuba like- ok, a duck to water (a seal to water?)

This is very sad to hear. I've met a few instructors who are skilled scuba divers but have no teaching ability. Even if your husband goes there and find the guy to be fine it could be you still will not like him. I've seen instructors who just decide one person is a good diver and another is not. The 'good' diver is treated well. The 'bad' diver is treated horribly.

If you want to give it another try (before the trip, after the trip, years from now) You can go with any agency. Even if your husband was trained with NAUI or SSI, you can get trained with PADI, or vice versa. Switching between agencies is no problem until you become a professional. Even then it is not too bad.

I see from your information you are in Omaha, Nebraska. There are two PADI centres in that location. The first is a regular PADI dive centre:

Midcoast Scuba Center, Inc. S-1613

8831 Maple Street

Omaha, NE 68134

terry@midcoastscuba.com

http://www.midcoastscuba.com

Ph: (402) 391-1559

Fax: (402) 391-1163

The other centre is a PADI 5 Star location. Being a 5 Star location just means they have more to offer but not necessarily better staff. For example, if you want to get training to be Dive Master you might need to go to a 5 Star location. Here is the information for the 5 Star location:

Underwater World S-2123

8445 West Center Road

Canfield Plaza

Omaha, NE 68124

don@scubauww.com

Ph: (402) 339-1884

If you are not actually in Omaha, go to this link http://www.padi.com/scuba/locate-a-padi-dive-shop/default.aspx and put in the name of your town. If you don't see any shop on the map, zoom out. There is a shop up in Randolph. There is one over at North Platte.

If you go to http://www.divessi.com/fac_search you can look up SSI dive centres.

If you are in Omaha and willing to drive a bit there are many dive shops in Minneapolis or down in Kansas City.

Talk to the instructor and tell him/her your experience. If they are not sympathetic, move on and find another shop. Diving should be fun. I'm certainly not going to pay someone to treat me poorly.

You can also write an email to the agency. When dealing with a car dealership. I was treated very poorly. I called up the car manufacturer and asked for a dealership in my area. I explained I had a bad experience with XXX and would like someone else. Once they knew I was unhappy they hooked me up with another car dealership and made sure the new dealership treated me well.

Remember, you are paying them for a SERVICE. If they are not giving you good service just walk away. If you are even the slightest bit unhappy, walk away. Don't give them money until you are happy.

Thanks so much for your very detailed reply. I actually had originally signed up with the first shop listed but he said he prefers the SSI certification. Normally not a problem, but my daughter in college in VA had just finished the PADI coursework and we were going to do the open water cert together in Tahiti--the dive shop there indicated they could only do PADI certs. So went to the second shop. Unfortunately, I had to pay the $335 for the course and buy my own fins, mask, snorkel (another roughly $200) before the first session...don't know that getting any money back is an option, though I do plan to write a letter to PADI. Not upset about the equipment I have--I'll use it snorkeling and maybe someday I'll give diving another try. I may even try the discover scuba on the ship, who knows.

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind comments--this really has been a fiasco for me!

Archived