Good things to take to Alaska?

candhmama

I have a friend that is going on her first Alaska cruise this summer. I wanted to put together a little gift for her with some fun things to take with her. I have never been on an Alaska cruise and things I think of for a cruise revolve around warm weather like sunscreen and underwater disposable cameras. What are some good ideas to give her for an Alaska cruise. I don't want to spend a ton of money, just some fun small things. Thanks

I haven't gone to Alaska yet, but one thing I read about that seems useful and might be a great gift would be some insulated coffee mugs- we're taking some with us to enjoy hot beverages while watching the scenery.

If you're into a more expensive gift what about binoculars?

Or more cheaply, some of those instant hot-packs for your boots/gloves like hunters use?

i dont think she will need things that one would have for winter months. it will be warm there in the summer. sunscreen along with lip balm and a nice body lotion to use after being in the pool would be nice. travel size towlets come in handy also. a insulated mug is a good idea. fill it with small things and she will have a great gift from you. what a nice surprise for her. im sure she will have a great time.

Though you wouldn't give this to her ... the best thing we took on our July Cruise was winter coats!

I was still cold at times on deck when the wind would blow.

We were shocked at how many people came ill-prepared ...

So, I say the knit gloves and hat are a great idea!

The handiest things we had on our cruise to Alaska last AUGUST - were the knitted ear covers - like a headband, but designed to keep your ears warm and gloves. The insulated mug is a great idea - the weather is so unpredictable you need to cover all the bases, towelettes are good to have and maybe a camera card - picture opportunities are endless!

have fun,

yaya

Winter coats!! LOL! We were swimming and sunning on our early August cruise to Alaska several years ago! A nice gift item might be a pashmina throw to ward off the sea breezes. A small set of binoculars comes in handy too. And...ever the English teacher that I am...a copy of Jack London's The Call of the Wild!

Alaska travel books - Fodors or Frommers or Alaska by Cruiseship - something to read up on in anticipation of their trip!, Insulated mugs, binoculars, waterproof fanny pack or belly bag for camera and other essentials, photo album for all their great shots when we they get back, on-board ship credit if you know what line they are sailing on.... The list is endless!!

They are going to LOVE their cruise and will LOVE Alaska - it is magnificent!!

We cruised in July 2 years ago and were very happy to have knit gloves (not huge bulky ones, just thin ones from Ross) for cruising Glacier Bay and College Fjord so we could comfortably hold our binoculars for long periods without freezing our hands. (I was also wearing my cuddle-duds long underwear leggings from Sams Club under my sweats). What a considerate friend you are to try to make her trip even better!

A small battery-operated alarm clock for bedside and disposable rain pouch and/or even those metallic space blanket that's good for camping & emergencies. Plus, we always bring along our own alcohol-based hand sanitizer (3 oz. Purell) to keep the risk of noro-virus down.

Winter coats!! LOL! We were swimming and sunning on our early August cruise to Alaska several years ago! A nice gift item might be a pashmina throw to ward off the sea breezes. A small set of binoculars comes in handy too. And...ever the English teacher that I am...a copy of Jack London's The Call of the Wild!

Wow ... swimming in Alaska on a cruise. That's great ... what luck. If it wasn't for the solarium, we wouldn't have gone swimming that last time, to be sure!

How about some snaks! Energy bars, granolo, cheese sticks. i don't want to do any "bord eating" A cup of coffee and a snack bar waiting for flight to do the trick. iam going try to not eat any just because time permits and we are bored.

That is a great idea!! Not until you really look at the "whole picture" will you realize just how far you will travel on a cruise, plus, how far that first port is from Vancouver or Seattle!! I wish I had one bigger than an Atlas page. As a gift, it would be a treasure for years!!

Archived