Stockholm Public Transit

The Tahitian Princess arrives in Stockholm on Friday June 5 at 7 AM. I am considering buying the Stockholm Card or SL 3 day pass. We are leaving for Oslo on the train Sunday PM June 7. Our B & B is SW of the city center in the Alvsjo neighborhood.

My current information is that we will dock at Frihamnen 638.

1. Can we get on a city bus and the metro with a 20kg suitcase each? Is this a bad idea?

2. Where can we stash the suitcases along the way, to be able to do some sightseeing, picking them up later to continue the trip to the B & B?

Thanks for any advice.

The Tahitian Princess arrives in Stockholm on Friday June 5 at 7 AM. I am considering buying the Stockholm Card or SL 3 day pass. We are leaving for Oslo on the train Sunday PM June 7. Our B & B is SW of the city center in the Alvsjo neighborhood.

My current information is that we will dock at Frihamnen 638.

1. Can we get on a city bus and the metro with a 20kg suitcase each? Is this a bad idea?

2. Where can we stash the suitcases along the way, to be able to do some sightseeing, picking them up later to continue the trip to the B & B?

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to Stockholm. You can get on the busses and subway with suitcases, no problem. You can store your bags at the central station, and since the commuter train to Älvsjö leaves from there you will be all set.

Skål

Al

Welcome to Stockholm. You can get on the busses and subway with suitcases, no problem. You can store your bags at the central station, and since the commuter train to Älvsjö leaves from there you will be all set.

Skål

Al

Thanks much. Local knowledge is most helpful and your willingness to share it is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am visiting Stockholm on NCL Jewel in June. Thanks to all of you fellow cruisers I collected enough materials and worked out the following itinerary. Would any experienced cuiser pls advise if it is practical and workable:

Scheduled arriving and departure time: 8:00am - 4:00pm on a Monday, ship docked at Stadsgarden S167

8:00am: head to Vasa Museum by boat

8:30am-10:00am: visit Vasa

10:00am: leave for Royal Palace

10:30am - 1:00pm: visit Royal Palace & Royal Treasury

11:35am - changing of the guard

1:00pm: lunch

2:00pm: walk around Gamla Stan

3:00pm: head back to the ship by bus

any advices are welcome.

Dinoman, we are docking at the same pier in June on the Emerald. Your itinerary sounds great. Could you give us some more details? Where are you going to catch the boat to the Vasa, etc? I have seen lots of info about Frihamnen, but not as much about Stadsgarden... Thanks so much!

Al_Frescoe,

I notice you live in Stockholm. We will be staying at the Sheraton and walking to the Ice Bar on Sun, May 10, can you recommend a restaurant (reasonably priced) near the Sheraton or Nordic Sea hotels, or someplace in between the two for dinner. We are a group of 10 that will be leaving the Ice Bar around 6:45 pm. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

About how much would a taxi cost from Stadsgarden S167 to the Vasa Museum? And how long would the journey take?

Our ship docks at 8:00 AM and from information that I've found online it appears that the Harbor Shuttle Ferry may not begin operating until 10:00 AM. Does anyone know if that is the case?

This is a very preliminary plan and I have not go into details in terms of time schedule yet. For the time being this would be my order sequence in visiting the main visitor spots. I will post a revised version once I put the time elements in.

In calculating the cost of my itinerary I think I would buy the Stockholm Card instead of 'pay as I go'. The saving is not much but it's the convenience that counts. If I can spare some time to visit the Nobel Museum that the card cost would definitely payoff.

For currency I don't think I can get much from my hometown. If I used the Stockholm Card the only chance I would use the local currency is for food and souvenirs. I planned to bring change some on the ship or at the pier if that's available.

Thank you for all your advices. Will keep posting updates.

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading an article on this website on a Baltic Cruise and the writer mentioned that there are 2 types of taxi in Stockholm: regular and private. While the regular ones charged according to a preset price schedule, the private ones do not and more expensive than the regular ones. The problem is they all look very alike and difficult to tell from the outside, not until you look into the car and see a price schedule you can be sure that it's a regular one. Would someone who had taken taxi as a mode of transportation in Stockholm clarify that?

Stick to the major taxi companies - Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir and Taxi 020. The others may very well try to rip you off. The problem is that these so called "black cabs" tend to be the ones waiting outside the cruise terminal.

You can book cabs ahead of time, go to their website (We use Taxi Stockholm exclusively)

Taxi Stockholm - http://www.taxistockholm.se/english/Services/

Skål

Al

Tks Al for your valuable information. I can see a picture of the Taxi Stockholm on their website, could you pls also send link of the other 2 taxi companies, or if you could, post a photo so I can easily identify then on the street, please.

CC really is a must-go place before embarking on a cruise!

dinoman, I think you are just one step ahead of me in your cruise planning. lol! I just read the review on this site that mentions about the private taxis and was coming here to do conduct a search on the ins and outs. Thanks for asking the question. :D

And, thank you Al Frescoe for sharing your expertise with us. If we order a taxi to pick us up upon debarkation, do you think it will be grabbed up by someone else or are the drivers good about waiting for their reserved passengers?

And, thank you Al Frescoe for sharing your expertise with us. If we order a taxi to pick us up upon debarkation, do you think it will be grabbed up by someone else or are the drivers good about waiting for their reserved passengers?

If you pre-order a taxi (from Taxi Stockholm anyway), you are given a confirmation number and usually they will tell you which car #. When you call, tell the operator you are concerned about someone taking your car, they should reassure you.

I was going to post the other 2 company's websites, but their English was limited, and frankly I only use Taxi Stockholm (I have a business account with them).

If you want to look them up yourself they are, once again:

Taxi Kurir

Taxi 020

Welcome to Stockholm.

Al

Al_Frescoe,

Do you know if Taxi Stockholm has van type taxis? We are a group of 10 that will have to get from the Sheraton Hotel to our cruise ship at Frihamnen pier. Do the taxis charge by mileage or passengers? If we get one van type for 6 and 1 reg. taxi for 4 we should be ok. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Al_Frescoe,

Do you know if Taxi Stockholm has van type taxis? We are a group of 10 that will have to get from the Sheraton Hotel to our cruise ship at Frihamnen pier. Do the taxis charge by mileage or passengers? If we get one van type for 6 and 1 reg. taxi for 4 we should be ok. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Yes, they have vans and even limos. I don't know how they charge for those services, sorry. However, if you go to the website, and email them they will answer all your questions, they speak perfect English, don't worry.

:)

Al

If you pre-order a taxi (from Taxi Stockholm anyway), you are given a confirmation number and usually they will tell you which car #. When you call, tell the operator you are concerned about someone taking your car, they should reassure you.

I was going to post the other 2 company's websites, but their English was limited, and frankly I only use Taxi Stockholm (I have a business account with them).

If you want to look them up yourself they are, once again:

Taxi Kurir

Taxi 020

Welcome to Stockholm.

Al

Thank you, Al. It looks like we now have a plan on how to get to the Vasa quickly and without incident. :D

Archived