What Would You Like to See Added Onboard?

jhannah

Run the movies more than once a day in the ship's theatre.. on our recent Westerdam cruise, on a SEA day, the movie only ran once and that at 8 pm when half of us were dining.. *duh*

bring back sea day games like scattergories, pictionary, catch phrase etc and return to handing out prizes (insignificant and tacky as they may be) instead of the stupid dam dollars. These activities were always well attended and usually by a fun loving group.

do something in the Pinnacle more challenging that steaks. If the chef wants to show what he is capable of then do something that requires some effort. Perhaps Italian, Asian, French, whatever.. or offer 3 or 4 different cuisines across the fleet in the Pinnacle.. 3 ships who continue to do the steak thing, 3 who do gourmet Italian, etc.. then as we try out other ships within the fleet, we can have something different instead of the same old "done that for 10 yrs" thing. Compared to Palo on Disney, the Pinnacle as is, is a joke.

Not only info on the TV, but interactive TV. We found this on the QM2 a couple of years ago -- we could view the evening menu and order our wine for our table, we could order beverage refills or room service delivery to our stateroom, etc. Some other uses that could also apply:

- Using the interactive TV to make AYWD table reservations; you could see what was available at what time, and reserve the one you wanted. Then, you could claim the reservation either with your ship's card or with a confirmation number.

- Reserving and paying for shore excursions, HMC clamshells, etc.

- Making spa, salon and other appointments on board.

- Signing up for unlimited laundry or pressing, or the Susan G Komen walk, or the small-group cooking classes; basically, anything you can now sign up for at the front desk.

It would probably mean retrofitting the cabins with interactive TVs, running cable or installing WiFi connections, and of course more server power, but all of that is doable if HAL decided to do it. I presume the capability was built into QM2 from the original design, but a retrofit should not be all that complicated for HAL ships.

Dave

I'd prefer to have the domestic CNN, but I'd take Fox. Great suggestion.

It's surprising that at least one of the cable news stations isn't offered. I know other cruise lines do offer CNN, Fox, etc.

On the Eurodam, my coffee table DID come up to eating height. :D

Can't remember ever trying it on Zuiderdam last year or other ships. :confused:

6A and Conc, have you ever tried to raise the coffee tables ?

The coffee tables on the Noordam can be raised/lowered, too.

What a terrific thread! Jim, thank you so much for starting it.

While I'm a ship's games and activities lover like MichMike, I suspect that's not "reasonable", because there isn't staff to run those activities anymore after recent shake ups. If paying a fee for use would make it possible, I'd be all over it, but I think we're dreaming.

Since things can be quiet in the evenings, wouldn't it be great if the Party Planner could throw a "Welcome to my Living Room" party one evening, to mimic a cocktail party with friends...fee for use sign up. Party games, maybe a singalong later...Northern Lights maybe, or somewhere with a bar, to generate more revenue for HAL?

I would love to see the Filipino dance bands back in the Crow's Nest or Queen's Lounge every evening. As stated in other threads, the elimination of good dance music on a nightly basis is a real negative for us and has driven us into the waiting arms of Princess which does much better in this category.

The coffee tables on the Noordam can be raised/lowered, too.

Ours did in the Oosterdam, too. I think maybe folks just don't know they have this capability. No big lever sticks out or anything like that which anyone would readily notice.

More lectures about the culture of the different areas. Also the glass blowing studio, and gazing at the stars as offered on the new Princess and Celebrity ships. I want to stay with HAL but sure would enjoy those other things.

Marcia

Please let's not try to make all cruise lines the same. I love the differences and having the choices.

I love to know I can go one place for ice skating and rock climbing if that is what I want and I can go to HAL for their incredible crews and beautiful ships etc I can go to Carnival for what it does best and can try them all if I want.

What I really don't want is for them all to be homogenized.

I'd like more choices for wine by the glass. I drink wine mostly and at the bars, I'd like more selection of 'by the glass'.

HAL does seem to be I.T. (Information Technology) challenged:

I agree whole-heartedly. There are a number of things HAL could to do enhance the cruise experience in this area. I wish that part of the dry dock improvements included upgrading the satellite infrastructure that provides for faster and wider bandwidth dedicated to passenger communication. The TV in the rooms could be interactive to include:

Running account & account change information.

Menus

Daily Programs/Activities

Text of Captains logs & announcements

Shore excursion info/reservations

Restaurant info/reservations

Room service info/orders

Messaging to cabin steward

Internet access via the TV

Spa reservations

We still enjoy HAL immensely without these things but it sure would be nice!

These are nice-to-haves, when the economy straightens out.

• In-room interactive TV.
  • Choice of cable TV, including MSNBC.
  • Smoke-free balconies.
  • Those new quiet terlets.
  • Good dance band(s).
  • More ballroom dancing lessons.
  • More culture/port lectures (NOT shopping lectures).

a charge restaurant like the Carnival supper clubs with a wider menu than the Pinnacle, small music combo, tables spread out and a classy atmosphere. (This was the one thing I liked about Carnival.)

A small piano bar for smokers well ventilated.

A separate boarding line without photographers.

Menus on TV.

Wider selection of rums when in the Caribbean.

Lower prices in the DF shop.

No art auctions from any source.

I have pushed for years to add one office on either side of the Purser's Desk:

1. Psychiatrist / Marital Counselor for those going Postal, and for the increasing number of dysfunctional marriages/families we are seeing on ships today.

2. Lawyers Office for those legions who want to sue the cruise line for lack of trays in the buffets, opening their eggs on the wrong end, or whatever other reason.

Both offices would generate revenue for the cruise line, hopefully replacing the lost revenue from the Art Auctions - and ultimately keeping the cost of cruising down.

The legal office would speed up the litigation process, giving you a chance to sue the cruise line even before the cruise is over. And even if the cruise line loses the lawsuit, they would still receive a percentage of the enormous penalty or settlement they had to pay out.

There are times, Philip, when I think perhaps you're a little 'tough' on us, your customers, but not this time.

I think your post hysterical!! Very funny though I suspect you said it with only a tiny bit of jest intended. :D

I agree there well could be a long line waiting to get into both those offices. :)

A small piano bar for smokers well ventilated.

What a wonderful idea! I'd go for that one big time!

Agree on the 8 & 10 showtimes, and ASSIGNED seating for dinner! :D

And just once, on one cruise, see a REAL celebrity entertainer. I'm sure it would up the price of the cruise quite a lot, but sure would be a nice 'surprise' without having to go on one of the 'specialty' cruises.

There's another thread on what you'd be willing to do without. Let's turn it around. What would you like to see ADDED to enhance your onboard experience?

In the technology area, another thread mentions how daily menus are on cabin TV on other cruise lines. That would be nice. And speaking of cabin TV, many of us have mentioned in the past how we'd like access to our shipboard account activity on our cabin television.

What else (reasonable) would you like to see added?

Definitely an aft pool!;)

Additional TV channels and same dinner menus/desserts in Lido as in main dining rooms at dinner.

Dinner menus and desserts were the same in the lido and main dining room on our Feb. Zaandam cruise. There actually was more choice in the lido as they also offered some other deserts, salad bar and choices on sides.

As for TV, interactive would be nice and onboard channels are fine, but no other channels are needed.

Archived