What Would You Like to See Added Onboard?

jhannah

These are nice-to-haves, when the economy straightens out.

• In-room interactive TV.
  • Choice of cable TV, including MSNBC.
  • Smoke-free balconies.
  • Those new quiet terlets.
  • Good dance band(s).
  • More ballroom dancing lessons.
  • More culture/port lectures (NOT shopping lectures).

Do they actually have quiet marine "terlets" on cruise ships?

I concur with a cable news channel, smoke free balconies, and cultural lectures...sounds good to me!

I would like the thermal suite and pool open until at least till 11pm :)

Ditto!

I concur with a cable news channel, smoke free balconies, and cultural lectures...sounds good to me!

In case HAL is reading...a reasonable compromise would be making one side of the ship smoke-free on cabin balconies and permitting smoking on cabin balconies on the other side of the ship. If HAL ever bans smoking on all cabin balconies, I stop cruising HAL.

Those new quiet terlets.

You've got to be kidding, right? How on earth would we even know we were on a ship if we couldn't hear the "WHOOSSSSHHH" as it sucks down small children from the neighbouring cabins? It's just such a satisfying sound! :D

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

We were on the Westerdam and the menu in the Lido was lacking several choices in each category (app, soups, entrees, desserts) from the main dining room each night. Granted you could make your own salad. Maybe that is not true of all HAL ships since this is the first time we dined in the Lido at night.

You've got to be kidding, right? How on earth would we even know we were on a ship if we couldn't hear the "WHOOSSSSHHH" as it sucks down small children from the neighbouring cabins? It's just such a satisfying sound! :D

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

We LOVE the WHOOOOSSSSHHHH sound of the marine toilets...when I hear that sound, we know that we are cruising....

While we're dreaming of tomorrow, I'll add two of my late-night favorites that I miss on cruise ships.

1) Taco Bell! I'd love to be able to grab FourthMeal on a cruise ship (Yeah, I know it will never happen for at least a dozen reasons).

Slightly more realistic:

2) Late night pool hours. I've never understood why the pool has to close so early. I don't care about sun. I just want to swim without bumping elbows with others. Keep the pool running until 11pm.

I have pushed for years to add one office on either side of the Purser's Desk:

1. Psychiatrist / Marital Counselor for those going Postal, and for the increasing number of dysfunctional marriages/families we are seeing on ships today.

2. Lawyers Office for those legions who want to sue the cruise line for lack of trays in the buffets, opening their eggs on the wrong end, or whatever other reason.

Both offices would generate revenue for the cruise line, hopefully replacing the lost revenue from the Art Auctions - and ultimately keeping the cost of cruising down.

The legal office would speed up the litigation process, giving you a chance to sue the cruise line even before the cruise is over. And even if the cruise line loses the lawsuit, they would still receive a percentage of the enormous penalty or settlement they had to pay out.

Perhaps the Legal Office could have some legal documents as part of pre-boarding . . . put them online . . . :D

While we're dreaming of tomorrow, I'll add two of my late-night favorites that I miss on cruise ships.

1) Taco Bell! I'd love to be able to grab FourthMeal on a cruise ship (Yeah, I know it will never happen for at least a dozen reasons).

Slightly more realistic:

2) Late night pool hours. I've never understood why the pool has to close so early. I don't care about sun. I just want to swim without bumping elbows with others. Keep the pool running until 11pm.

1) Never happen? You may be too young to see it happen again, but most cruises used to have a midnight buffet.

1a) Taco Bell?:confused: That would make a new thread: Which fast-food; Fast vs Edible. :D

2) Management went to Las Vegas. Hours before sunset, when the temp drops to about 105, they close the pool.:(

There are times, Philip, when I think perhaps you're a little 'tough' on us, your customers, but not this time.

I think your post hysterical!! Very funny though I suspect you said it with only a tiny bit of jest intended. :D

I agree there well could be a long line waiting to get into both those offices. :)

Sail,

My favourite television personality is Bill Maher (Did I spell his name correctly?). In any case, that helps to explain why I often like to post things that - as Arsenio Hall used to say - make you say "Hhhhhmmm???!!??!!"

I'm usually jesting, even though it is difficult to read on an internet post.

One of my cruise line colleagues (not on HAL) who actually gave me the ideas I posted above, is pushing for a Hooters franchise on cruise ships. He is not jesting by the way. I suspect that the idea would not be a very good fit for HAL passengers, but probably would be very successful on several other lines.

One of my cruise line colleagues (not on HAL) who actually gave me the ideas I posted above, is pushing for a Hooters franchise on cruise ships. He is not jesting by the way. I suspect that the idea would not be a very good fit for HAL passengers, but probably would be very successful on several other lines.

Can you give us a heads up when that Hooters' ship sails, please?

Sail,

My favourite television personality is Bill Maher (Did I spell his name correctly?). In any case, that helps to explain why I often like to post things that - as Arsenio Hall used to say - make you say "Hhhhhmmm???!!??!!"

I'm usually jesting, even though it is difficult to read on an internet post.

Don't be too sure. There is a Hooters not to far from a Senior Center around here ,and a lot of the old timers head there for lunch or a drink during the day .

Change the pool daily with fresh sea water. It was disgusting after 11 days on last cruise.

Keep the burger grill open until at least 8 pm.

Post the dining room dinner meals several days in advance.

Re: the news channels. I know that we all are different; but I had an opposite experience last month. For 2 whole weeks we received NO news at all. Never turned on the TV, didn't check the Internet, and didn't look at the newspaper. What a RELIEF!! When we re-entered the real world the news felt like an assault. So many grisly family killings etc etc etc. Being away from all of that was one of the best parts of the cruise.

Change the pool daily with fresh sea water. It was disgusting after 11 days on last cruise.

Keep the burger grill open until at least 8 pm.

Post the dining room dinner meals several days in advance.

Re: the news channels. I know that we all are different; but I had an opposite experience last month. For 2 whole weeks we received NO news at all. Never turned on the TV, didn't check the Internet, and didn't look at the newspaper. What a RELIEF!! When we re-entered the real world the news felt like an assault. So many grisly family killings etc etc etc. Being away from all of that was one of the best parts of the cruise.

I stopped watching the local news a while back. Like you said thats all it is killing and accidents and all that. my heart goes out to these people but you can only listen to so much. If something major happens I will throw on CNN or check the headlines on the internet and even that I can only take in small doses.

I guess we have justed "lucked out" because all of the coffeetables we have had on cruise ships have been those telescoping kind. They are really handy for a lot of things.

There are some little things we would like to see added but none of them are really worth mentioning.

The one really big thing that we find is HAL's biggest shortcoming is the AV on board. It has so much potential...but is so poorly programmed. I am not talking about having TV programmes that we would get at home...but the programming that the majority of passengers would find entertaining and useful.

National and International News from a North American perspctive.

Ship board events.

Detailed excursion and port info for each day instead of the prerecorded "programme" for the whole trip. (On our last cruise we were still getting the info on Cabo excursions after we had hit the Amazon!!!)

Access to account information.

A 'guide' that actually matched the channels and times for programming....especially for the movie channel.

We would really like to see personalized Lido trays with pictures and autographs of the Captain and Exec Chef for each ship. These would make nice keepsakes for all of us who are trying to cruise at least once on every HAL ship in our life-times or theirs!! (But not the ugly orange ones....maybe something in a lime green or passionate pink.)

I agree whole-heartedly. There are a number of things HAL could to do enhance the cruise experience in this area. I wish that part of the dry dock improvements included upgrading the satellite infrastructure that provides for faster and wider bandwidth dedicated to passenger communication. The TV in the rooms could be interactive to include:

Running account & account change information.

Menus

Daily Programs/Activities

Text of Captains logs & announcements

Shore excursion info/reservations

Restaurant info/reservations

Room service info/orders

Messaging to cabin steward

Internet access via the TV

Spa reservations

We still enjoy HAL immensely without these things but it sure would be nice!

I've never sailed HAL before, so forgive my ignorance, but are you all saying that even Vista-class ships don't already have in-cabin interactive TV-features such as account information, excursion bookings, schedules of activities, restaurant information and room service ordering?? :eek:

Here's my 2 cents worth:

Tamarind on ALL HAL ships, best restaurant afloat!!!!

Ability to check onboard account and book shore excursions, spa appts, dinner reservations from an interactive tv.

CNN/ESPN Domestic especially in the Caribbean, don't mind the international outlets in overseas as much.

Outdoor dinning option at night ( years ago when Princess started the alternative restaurant option they had the Sterling Steakhouse on deck, really nice in the Caribbean).

Scweppes Bitter Lemon (used to be able to get this, last 2 HAL cruises not available, small personal request.

Martini Cruiser

...a reasonable compromise would be making one side of the ship smoke-free on cabin balconies and permitting smoking on cabin balconies on the other side of the ship.
80% of the people would want the smoke-free side.

Archived