How formal is formal?

Rudi610

My family is on the April 11 Magic cruise. I tried on my suit the other day and it was a bit snug (I think it shrunk :D). While I can still wear it, I would be more comfortable in my normal business casual pants. Would I be able to wear a pair of navy pants with a white shirt and tie and call that formal (no coat)?

Thanks.

My family is on the April 11 Magic cruise. I tried on my suit the other day and it was a bit snug (I think it shrunk :D). While I can still wear it, I would be more comfortable in my normal business casual pants. Would I be able to wear a pair of navy pants with a white shirt and tie and call that formal (no coat)?

Thanks.

Formal on DCL is as formal as you would like it to be. I love dressing up and got an evening gown for formal night last year. DH hates dressing up and ended wearing a pair of smart pants (not suit pants), a collared shirt, a Disney tie and a vest. There was a bit of a mix there ranging from suits and evening gowns (in the minority) to smart pants and collared shirts for men and a nice sun dress or skirt/ pants and a nice top to people actually turning up in denim. Here is what we wore for dress up night on the Wonder, but we wore the same on formal night on the Magic:

img034.jpg

Corinna

Formal on DCL is as formal as you would like it to be. I love dressing up and got an evening gown for formal night last year. DH hates dressing up and ended wearing a pair of smart pants (not suit pants), a collared shirt, a Disney tie and a vest. There was a bit of a mix there ranging from suits and evening gowns (in the minority) to smart pants and collared shirts for men and a nice sun dress or skirt/ pants and a nice top to people actually turning up in denim. Here is what we wore for dress up night on the Wonder, but we wore the same on formal night on the Magic:

Corinna

What are smart pants? I even tried to Google it. Found lots of results but none were a type of pants.

Rudi, consider purchasing a sport coat and add that to your above description. This can be purchased from Kohls or other discount clothing store for under $60.

If you are not wearing a suit or sport coat you will not be the only one but you will be dressed below the average adult on formal night.

They will let you dine even if you do not have a jacket of some sort but that is my recommendation.

Okay, I do not have time to put on my flame suite, so I will try to be a little direct with my reply. There is no formal night on the Wonder, just a dress up night. On the Magic there are a lot more people that take part in "Formal Night". I want to say that on the Magic, Formal night tends to be the majority in Jackets or a Tux. Now you always have some that just do what they want. One cruise we even saw a couple of Hippies. :D They were the talk of the room, but were really comfortable in themselves. :)

(Believe it or not, I did not say anything about them as I say to each it's own, just do not sit with me; so had noting to say out loud). SO I would suggest if you are on the Magic then go to Ebay and grab a jacket. Pretty cheap. Actually for a play of my kid, I went to a thrift store and saw all types of jackets, suites and tux. There are also $99 tux on e-bay for the entire thing or you can rent one for $99 to be delivered right to your stateroom. There are a lot of options. ;)

What are smart pants? I even tried to Google it. Found lots of results but none were a type of pants.

Rudi, consider purchasing a sport coat and add that to your above description. This can be purchased from Kohls or other discount clothing store for under $60.

If you are not wearing a suit or sport coat you will not be the only one but you will be dressed below the average adult on formal night.

They will let you dine even if you do not have a jacket of some sort but that is my recommendation.

I am sorry to have caused confusion again. Just goes to show that even though we speak English on both sides of the big pond, we do not always talk the same language after all. By smart trousers I meant trousers that look smart. I think it was actually chinos that DH wore for Formal Night.

Okay, I do not have time to put on my flame suite, so I will try to be a little direct with my reply. There is no formal night on the Wonder, just a dress up night. On the Magic there are a lot more people that take part in "Formal Night". I want to say that on the Magic, Formal night tends to be the majority in Jackets or a Tux. Now you always have some that just do what they want. One cruise we even saw a couple of Hippies. :D They were the talk of the room, but were really comfortable in themselves. :)

(Believe it or not, I did not say anything about them as I say to each it's own, just do not sit with me; so had noting to say out loud). SO I would suggest if you are on the Magic then go to Ebay and grab a jacket. Pretty cheap. Actually for a play of my kid, I went to a thrift store and saw all types of jackets, suites and tux. There are also $99 tux on e-bay for the entire thing or you can rent one for $99 to be delivered right to your stateroom. There are a lot of options. ;)

I was really hoping to see men in a tux on the Magic, but I did not see a single one. I hope it will be different in October when we go again. There were some suits and some evening gowns and most men seemed to wear collared shirts, but by far not all of them wore ties.

Corinna

• 2 months later...

When I went on the Magic, my wife told me I had to bring a suit jacket. So I found space for it in one of our 6 piecies of luggage....carried it halfway around the world to Florida and wore it on the one formal night...........of course I was the only one at our table of ten that had a jacket on.

Half the men in the restaurant had on a polo shirt/ dress shirt and regular pants....you don't really need a suit or suit jacket if you don't want one.

I've never worn a suit jacket on a Disney cruise on either ship, it's always been long-sleeved dark colored dress shirt, dress slacks, dress shoes and once or twice a tie. That's about as dressed up as I'm willing to get and I've never had a single word said to me by a waiter, maitre d', or another cruise passenger. As long as you make an effort you should be fine in whatever your choice of clothing may be.

When I went on the Magic, my wife told me I had to bring a suit jacket. So I found space for it in one of our 6 piecies of luggage....carried it halfway around the world to Florida and wore it on the one formal night...........of course I was the only one at our table of ten that had a jacket on.

And you were of course the best looking one at the table.

Some people like to shine, others like to just fit in and strive for mediocrity.

As long as you make an effort you should be fine in whatever your choice of clothing may be.

I totally agree! Formal means different things to different people, and as long as you are attempting to follow the dress suggestion, no one has a problem with it.

What do young men (pre-teen/teen) typically wear on formal night on the Magic?

Most will be in either khakis or slacks and a polo or button-up shirt. I've seen a few in their own suit jackets but not very many until the age group gets up to mid-teen years or above.

And you were of course the best looking one at the table.

Some people like to shine, others like to just fit in and strive for mediocrity.

AMEN! You will see a broad range of clothing that is for sure. My feeling is that if you have paid the kind of money we pay for a cruise, you might as well present yourself in the BEST way possible. That said, you don't see too many tuxes. We saw more on Royal Caribbean than Disney. I think the sport coat suggestion is an excellent one! Be comfortable and have fun!

P.S. No wife beater shirts or trucker caps please! :eek: Believe it or not, we have seen both in the dining room! LOL

AMEN! You will see a broad range of clothing that is for sure. My feeling is that if you have paid the kind of money we pay for a cruise, you might as well present yourself in the BEST way possible.

I'm the totally opposite......I feel if I'm paying $10,000 for a seven day cruise, I'll dress however I like. :)

Hubby always wears a sport coat on the plane when we fly. That way he's always got a jacket handy for when the need arises, and I don't have to take up valuable suitcase space. ;) But he'll be renting a tux aboard on our upcoming Magic cruise. :D Nothing like a man in a tux! We'll definitely do pictures.

I'm the totally opposite......I feel if I'm paying $10,000 for a seven day cruise, I'll dress however I like. :)

That's the great thing about a cruise. As long as you are neat and clean, I say go for it. No wife beaters or trucker caps please! ;)

Just came from the 7-day W. Carribean cruise 2 days ago. There were lots of us wearing tuxedos including myself. The women especially the teens and tweens were dressed in formal clothings. We took the late seating dinner at 815 pm and there was a majority of us who were dressed up for the 615 show. Not that they needed to do so. I really felt out of place with my slippers, shorts and t-shirt watching the show. It didn't really matter though since we all enjoyed it. I had wished that we had eaten at Lumiere's but instead ending up at Parrot Cay wearing a tuxedo.

Archived