Holland America Line Health Questionnaire

rhinog

It's only purpose is to determine if there is some chance the guest may have noro virus. It is an attempt to keep people who would expose others to it from infecting others and spreading it around the ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic .. unfortunately when it comes to human behavior, I am a bit of a pessimist. Having experienced in business folks who will lie/cheat/steal for their own personal gain - at the expense of others - these same people will board a ship with whatever ailment they have and not tell the truth on the form. Bottomline is that this form keeps the 90% of folks honest and protected and recognizes that the other 10% are hopeless.

The solution is what the Japanese used on one of our cruises a couple of years ago. Before we could go ashore at one city in Japan, they required all pax and crew to pass through a room where they shot a laser-type beam at our foreheads to see if we had a fever. I suppose if this device really worked, no one could lie their way out of it. I did not hear the results but wished I could have.

harry

The solution is what the Japanese used on one of our cruises a couple of years ago. Before we could go ashore at one city in Japan, they required all pax and crew to pass through a room where they shot a laser-type beam at our foreheads to see if we had a fever.
That's interesting. I would assume they wouldn't automatically parse anyone (without asking some questions) just because they had a fever. Other things, non-contagious, can cause an elevated body temperature, too.

That's interesting. I would assume they wouldn't automatically parse anyone (without asking some questions) just because they had a fever. Other things, non-contagious, can cause an elevated body temperature, too.

I do not know what the disposition was for those who tested 'positive', but there was probably a more detailed screening. The funny thing is that I have not experienced it the last two or three times we docked at Japanese ports.

harry

I do not know what the disposition was for those who tested 'positive', but there was probably a more detailed screening. The funny thing is that I have not experienced it the last two or three times we docked at Japanese ports.

harry

Interesting -- wonder if when you first experienced this that it was during the time when there was bird flu in the area?

Interesting -- wonder if when you first experienced this that it was during the time when there was bird flu in the area?

Also when the SARS virus was around? I know the year SARS hit Toronto, I was going on a Carnival Destiny cruise and before getting on the ship I had to see a nurse and have my temperature taken at the port in San Juan. Everybody filled out a health questionaire there. That's the first time I remember ever getting a health questionaire, forget the year, maybe 2003? At the airport returning home in Toronto you had to step in some kind of liquid on a pad to kill whatever might be on your shoes. I remember going to the opera in San Juan, went down a week early, and the lady sitting beside me, when I said I was from Toronto she spent the whole opera leaning away from me.

Also when the SARS virus was around? I know the year SARS hit Toronto, I was going on a Carnival Destiny cruise and before getting on the ship I had to see a nurse and have my temperature taken at the port in San Juan. Everybody filled out a health questionaire there. That's the first time I remember ever getting a health questionaire, forget the year, maybe 2003? At the airport returning home in Toronto you had to step in some kind of liquid on a pad to kill whatever might be on your shoes. I remember going to the opera in San Juan, went down a week early, and the lady sitting beside me, when I said I was from Toronto she spent the whole opera leaning away from me.

THAT WAS IT .. it was during the time of the SARS insanity ... so, I suppose this was why it did not recur on later port stops in Japan the following season.

harry

The solution is what the Japanese used on one of our cruises a couple of years ago. Before we could go ashore at one city in Japan, they required all pax and crew to pass through a room where they shot a laser-type beam at our foreheads to see if we had a fever. I suppose if this device really worked, no one could lie their way out of it.

Of all the things I've heard that noro can do to you, and they are many and not nice, fever isn't one of them.

I remember having something a few years back, not on a cruise, that had I been told it was noro, I would believe it. I didn't have a fever.

A number of years ago as we left and returned to the ship in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, we had to step in some kind of liquid as well -- and have no idea why as there wasn't any sickness then. Have been there a few times since and never had to do it again.

No one in their right mind is going to answer YES to any of those questions even if they are experiencing any symptoms. They are about to begin a vacation and wouldn't want to risk being denied boarding.

IMO it is a total waste of time.

When I had Noro on Veendam, I did not have a fever.

Neither did I, just the runs, basically a lot of 'saying hi to Ralph', from two different orifices, some simultaneously. Can go into more detail but I think I won't

Archived