pashima Turkey bazaar

I am in İstanbul rıght now.....just was at the Grand Bazaar yesterday. It all depends on what you mean by pashmına. If you are usıng ıt generıcally to refer to scarves, the prices are pretty low. I would say they start at around 20 Turkısh lıra (about 14 USD) and you can bargaın from there.

If you mean the REAL pashmınas (pashmına ıs the partıcularly type of fıber from Cashmere) then they are obvıously much more expensıve.

I am in İstanbul rıght now.....just was at the Grand Bazaar yesterday. It all depends on what you mean by pashmına. If you are usıng ıt generıcally to refer to scarves, the prices are pretty low. I would say they start at around 20 Turkısh lıra (about 14 USD) and you can bargaın from there.

If you mean the REAL pashmınas (pashmına ıs the partıcularly type of fıber from Cashmere) then they are obvıously much more expensıve.

THERE you are!!! I have been wondering what happened to you, Cruisemom--not used to going so long without seeing your name. Hope you are having a fabulous time! We just booked another cruise for fall and will be happy to be back in Istanbul again~

Cathy

THERE you are!!! I have been wondering what happened to you, Cruisemom--not used to going so long without seeing your name. Hope you are having a fabulous time! We just booked another cruise for fall and will be happy to be back in Istanbul again~

Cathy

Yes, I'm having a wonderful time in Turkey--what a great country! Three days in Istanbul, then 3 in Kusadasi and 3 in Cappadocia then back to Istanbul for another couple of days. Wonderful people, wonderful history, wonderful shopping. I'm glad I'm headed home tomorrow, if only because I can't afford to shop any more here!!!

cruisemom, as usual, is spot on with her answer.

Hope you are having a wonderful time; we had four days in Istanbul in September and just one day in Kusadasi, and I would love to return to see more of Turkey and more of Istanbul, now one of my favorite cities.

There are loads of stalls in the grand bazaar with them. They have lots of types as well as the "proper" cashmere ones. I got a deal because I could not decide between 2 different coloured silk ones and he gave me a big discount to buy both. the nack is to check the prices on them all and make it obvious you are doing that. I was with some other passengers from the ship all of whom only had Euros. i had both euros and Turkish lira and found that at some of the stalls i was getting a better price for lira than for euros.

Did the fake purses come with the "name brand" logo? In Hong Kong I looked at jackets and the merchant proudly showed me his board with every logo you know from America and offered to sew on the logo of my choice! Service with a smile. I will rely on my cousin to bargain for me -- I must be world's worst at dealing with merchants and I am due in Istanbul next Sept. Like lamb to the slaughter. And I haven't gotten better in 20 years Sucker sign on my face LOL

They all have logo's, but know the spelling and what they are suppose to look like. I would love to do more shopping. It is amazing how they can get so much merchandise is one stall. If you want a different color, they will go upstairs or go to a friends booth. Be prepared to be bugged if you show any interest at all.

Yes, I'm having a wonderful time in Turkey--what a great country! Three days in Istanbul, then 3 in Kusadasi and 3 in Cappadocia then back to Istanbul for another couple of days. Wonderful people, wonderful history, wonderful shopping. I'm glad I'm headed home tomorrow, if only because I can't afford to shop any more here!!!

Enjoy :D

I am thinking that a Pashmina scarf in Istanbul will be my souvenir, too, Nana. I know you are sailing on your TA in just a few days, three weeks 'til I fly out to join you - meet you in the Grand Bazaar for some Pashmina haggling! Won't that be fun? I love your comment, AmoMondo - can't decide between two? Buy them both at a discount!

Enjoy :D

Do you have any tips on what to do, where to go and what to buy? In Rick Steve's toaur book he mentions a fun restaurant near the water that has great seafood and music, dancing and singing. It was more on the casual side?

Cathy

Which ship will you be on in the fall. We will be on NCL Jade Sept 17

Oh, we're doing Celebrity Solstice (the one with the grass) on November 9th. Cheap! I have a really hard time getting away from work until mid-October, and I have found that if I wait a few weeks, the prices drop drastically. So far, we've had good luck with the weather, too.

You should have perfect weather! Have fun!

Cathy

More on pashminas....

Most of the cheaper ones are not made in Turkey, even though it may say so on the label. Just an FYI....may not matter to you.

If you are looking for some type of scarf that is more typical of Turkey, you may want to consider some of the cotton embroidered fabrics that are traditional, as well as the cotton Ikat (a type of batik dye) material.

Hi Cruise mom,

What was your favorite thing in kusidasi? What was the best shopping???:D

I spent most of my time in Kusadasi seeing all the ancient sites around....did not spend any time shopping there, as all the Turkish people I talked to said the sellers in Kusadasi are there mainly to make a killing off cruise ship passengers. (Ouch!) Most are not even from Kusadasi but only show up when ships are in.

They do have some excellent restaurants right on the water serving fresh-caught fish.

Archived