Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

I plan to just hang out and hope I step in the same place that Clint Eastwood has stepped. My chest heaves with excitement. I know, thats funny isn't it. I think the old man's HOT! I also think the film festival is over the week before we get there ,darn-it.

LOL!! How I wish you were on our cruise...:D

Yes, another port for me to stress about. Cannes.

What have all of you decided to do in this port? Take a ship tour to Nice? If so, which one? Just stay in Cannes? With the Cannes Film Festival going on, I'm not sure if that's a good thing (exciting to be in the same town as "everyone who is anyone") or a hassle (crowded).

On the other hand, my daughter wants a t-shirt if there is such a thing. :cool:

We will be in Cannes on the Jade this summer and have booked a tour with Sylvie. She is highly recommended on the ports of call board, we'll go to Eze, Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo.

Bear in mind that you don't even have a day in Malta - it's more like a morning. Malta is small it's true but be wary of planning too many things. If you have a taxi at your disposal it's one thing but if you expect to use public transport, then I think it's not really practical.

LOL!! How I wish you were on our cruise...:D

Maybe one day we all can plan that. I'll look forward to it.

You know, I'm still worried about this time thing in Malta. I wonder how quick I can get off the ship that morning, but I'll try to stop worrying about it because you guys can let me know when you get back. One of only good reasons for having to wait so long. Less than 7 weeks! Yeah!

Yes, another port for me to stress about. Cannes.

What have all of you decided to do in this port? Take a ship tour to Nice? If so, which one? Just stay in Cannes? With the Cannes Film Festival going on, I'm not sure if that's a good thing (exciting to be in the same town as "everyone who is anyone") or a hassle (crowded).

On the other hand, my daughter wants a t-shirt if there is such a thing. :cool:

Cannes is a tender port, right?

Also, is the city of Cannes right there once we are off the ship or tender or do we need to take a taxi there?

We actually have Villefranche for a port instead of Cannes (I think there are two cruises scheduled this way). Sooooo, we will take the local bus to Eze and then to Nice.

Same as me! We're on the August 30th. :)

I think we are probably taking the train to Nice and then also visiting Cap-Ferrat. I'll just let things flow a little, without too much planning, since we're with my mother-in-law and the baby, we just have to go with what works at the time... :cool:

And here, all I'm looking for is a stinkin' souvenier tshirt for my daughter. How sad is that? :rolleyes:

From what I understand, you may have to pay a pretty penny for that t-shirt. Maybe there is a gift shop in the Carlton. I hear they are pretty proud of what they sell there in Cannes. Like $200 baby shoes.

Will you bring me back a t-shirt too if you can't bring Clint?:D

I'm posting this message here as well as Ports of Call...

Anybody have experience or know anything about either Avenida Palace or Hotel Rialto? I'm looking for information on location, rooms, cleanliness, etc. I've looked at descriptions online but would like more information please. We stayed at the Hotel Colon last time and loved it for location and rooms. They are a bit pricey so are considering others.

progress.gif

Mickeysgal-you mention the postings about Barcelona. There was a high profile case in the UK about a family missing anRCI cruise because of his passport being taken at the airport, and also some ethnic minority groups of women with babies targetting people who are a bit careless. There is also the fact that Bcn. police has opened a station at the airport to check on that crime. We have been warned simply to put our passports away as SOON as we're through immigration-lots of people admitted that they are in such a hurry to get to their transport that they rush through still holding them and thinking of other things. We are friendly with the owner of a bar in Bcn-in the same block as the Confortel which is used by NCL-who said it is mainly opportunist crime; you just have to be street wise.He also believes there is very little aggresive behaviour, such as knife crime which we see reports of in the UK, esp. in some areas of London. I think, still, that if you've been to any major US or UK cities and been OK, you'll be fine in Bcn! Enjoy!-jocap.

Mickeysgal-you mention the postings about Barcelona. There was a high profile case in the UK about a family missing anRCI cruise because of his passport being taken at the airport, and also some ethnic minority groups of women with babies targetting people who are a bit careless. There is also the fact that Bcn. police has opened a station at the airport to check on that crime. We have been warned simply to put our passports away as SOON as we're through immigration-lots of people admitted that they are in such a hurry to get to their transport that they rush through still holding them and thinking of other things. We are friendly with the owner of a bar in Bcn-in the same block as the Confortel which is used by NCL-who said it is mainly opportunist crime; you just have to be street wise.He also believes there is very little aggresive behaviour, such as knife crime which we see reports of in the UK, esp. in some areas of London. I think, still, that if you've been to any major US or UK cities and been OK, you'll be fine in Bcn! Enjoy!-jocap.

Thank you jocap, you've been very reassuring. :)

Are people on your roll calls pretty much signed up for tours in all the ports? At what point did people pick up the pace and start joining in? When do you think most people start sharing tours. I just get impatient;I'm ready to go. In most cases they say they are interested in sharing, then don't show up again on the roll call. Is this the way it is on other roll calls? How many are signed up for your roll calls. Just wondering if our cruise will be a little empty due to the Vatican being closed.

I'm happy to say that I started this thread because I was desperate to find others that I could share my excitement with, and thank you because I have found several.

Hi daring! Our roll call is really slow, and we leave in less than three weeks. It's only 12 pages, and I really don't expect it to go much further. We had a flurry of activity in January, and we "early birds" all got our tours scheduled together. About a month ago, we added several new members, who then worked out their tour shares. Other than that, there simply hasn't been much activity.

I was about as desperate as you to find others to share my excitement with, and I am SO GLAD you started this thread!

Are people on your roll calls pretty much signed up for tours in all the ports? At what point did people pick up the pace and start joining in? When do you think most people start sharing tours. I just get impatient;I'm ready to go. In most cases they say they are interested in sharing, then don't show up again on the roll call. Is this the way it is on other roll calls? How many are signed up for your roll calls. Just wondering if our cruise will be a little empty due to the Vatican being closed.

I'm happy to say that I started this thread because I was desperate to find others that I could share my excitement with, and thank you because I have found several.

Our roll call is pretty low key as well. I've asked whether anyone would want me to set up a casual Meet and Greet, but I didn't get any responses. I never did one before, but I was willing to give it a shot.

The families that I'm doing my tours with are very nice and I'm very lucky to have found them. Glad to see Why Knot Me on this thread...she's on my cruise as well.

I'm so glad to be part of this thread as well. I'm thrilled that there are others here that are just as crazy excited as I am. I wish all of us were sailing together.

Same as me! We're on the August 30th. :)

I think we are probably taking the train to Nice and then also visiting Cap-Ferrat. I'll just let things flow a little, without too much planning, since we're with my mother-in-law and the baby, we just have to go with what works at the time... :cool:

We are all going to have so much fun! I'm excited to have Villefranche to have as a port, I'm hoping to have a laid back kind of day after all that intense touring in Italy. :)

So what is it now Missi, 3weeks? How cool is that? So whats left to do?

Not that I'm counting or anything, but we fly out in 17 days!

What's left to do? I think I'm ready. I have to pick up my Euros from the bank, wash the gray outa my hair, get a mani and pedi, and then I'm ready for the drive to Memphis to catch a plane!

I do wish my new CC friends were sailing with me....

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted on this thread for a bit but wanted to answer some of the questions that have been asked about Cannes.

Walking about Cannes is a breeze. Although it is hilly, the front section is flat and even people with limited mobility would be able to get around easily on the broad promenades facing onto the beach and the streets towards the front of the town.

The tenders do come into the town and from there it is easy to get around.

Although it can be expensive, not all stores are (well, by Southern European tourist trap standards anyway). I got a lovely festival t-shirt there and there was plenty of film related things to buy. They also had T-shirts for the Monaco F1 GP if anyone is interested in motorsport and wanted to get something there, though they may be sold out by later in the season.

Yes!! Very excited! This is a great thread, I've gotten so much good info. We are going on the Gem August 2nd with the Barcelona to Cannes (back to Barcelona) itinerary.

I loved the Malta website that someone posted! It is so helpful. Does anyone know of any other similar websites for the other ports? We are a kind of DIY tourists so I plan to spend my time between now and August obsessing over maps and tour books. :p

Thanks to everyone for all the great stuff so far! It's nice to have people to talk about this trip with. All my friends are getting sick of hearing about it already. (they're just jealous!!:D)

~Aileen

Archived