Luggage on London tube system?

We will be in a hotel on Cromwell road and will need to get to Heathrow terminal 3 on May 7th. by 8 A.M. I have researched the route we will have to take using the tube system. It would be the Piccadilly line from Earls court to Heathrow, my question is, we will have to roll along two suitcases and a carry on, is there any problem using the tube system with luggage?

I don't know the Earl's Court station specifically, my experience is generally, there's no major issues on the Picadilly line. But you'll probably need to navigate your selves thru turnstiles (there usually is a wider gate suitable for handicap access that they will let you thru with large luggage... there is usually an agent there to open it for you if you make your intent clear). Otherwise, just push or lift your luggage over/under the turnstiles. There is usually an escalator or two... not usually a problem. And there is often a short set of stairs or two that you might have to carry the luggage up or down. If you're healthy travelers, it's doable. If you're not able to lift those roller cases short distances, you might have some problems. Take your time, be aware of those around you to not obstruct them too much and you'll be fine. Once you go to board a train, keep any eye on getting on a car with as few people as you can. You may choose to let a train go by that is full since it's usually just a few more minutes before another one will appear. Most of the cars have an area where you can put your bags off to the side so that it will have minimal impact on others. You may need to stand with it briefly, but usually space will be there for you to sit beside it and watch it. You don't want to be separated from your bag for security reasons. A lot of the crowd issues will depend on day of the week and time of the day. Exiting at Heathrow is very easy and fully designed for passengers with baggage.

If I remember correctly, Earl's Court does have an elevator (will be signoposted as "Lift"); I know that the next station down, at Gloucester Road, does. You do want to make sure that you get the Piccadilly line, not the District Line, which also uses the station but does not go to Heathrow.

Piccadilly Line cars have a baggage area by the sets of sliding doors toward the middle of each car. I'm always a little paranoid about the doors opening and somone on a platform at an intermediate station reaching in and snatching a bag, but I have never seen a report of that happening. Still, I'd contrive to sit right near the baggage.

If you are catching a morning flight, westbound trains should not be too crowded; if you are coming in from Heathrow off a long-haul in the morning, you'll be among the first people on the train and should easily get a seat. I've done it any number of times.

We thought it would be great to do this in reverse from Heathrow to our hotel across from the V&A Museum. We saw the elevator listed and thought "no problem." However, the lift was out of order and we had to drag our luggage up 2 flights of stairs. We arrived at our hotel dripping in sweat. Apparently this is not unusual.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife & I took the tube from the airport to our London Hotel.

I didn't mind it too much, but my wife didn't appreciate all the stairs that she had to lift her suitcase. She said she'd much rather have taken a cab next time. (it was a bit of hassle, but saved a few $.) Of course it was 'my idea' :)

Archived