vegetarian options?

punkmuse

In the main dining room, there is always one vegetarian choice for lunch or you can order a veggie burger. I ordered one once, but depending on how extreme of a veggie you are, you may not want to because I'm not sure how they were prepared (ie with the hamburgers).

For dinner in the main dinning room, there is always a vegetarian main meal as well as 2-3 choices for starters/soups/salads. Fet Alfredo is also always available.

Last November, I went on a 14 day cruise, some of the veggie offerings were really good. Very pasta heavy. Some didn't sound so good (or our waiter said they weren't good), so I would go with the Fet Alfredo. We sat with the same waiter/asst waiter each night in the Anytime Dining Room, and one of the first nights, I ordered one of the veggie pasta dishes, but the waiter thought I ordered the same pasta dish but with meat. It was easily corrected, but make sure that the waiter knows that you want the veggie dish. One night, I ordered a starter salad as a main dish, so that is also a possiblity as well.

I was also impressed last year that on two of the excursions that we went on (Guatemala and Nicaragua) included lunch, and both local restaurants were able to create me an awesome veggie-friendly meal.

Buffet: There is always one vegetable curry dish and then rice, salads and fruits. Also depends whether you eat fish or eggs. Most of the buffet servers and junior kitchen staff are from India and are vegetarians. Get to know them a bit and they will get also you some dishes from inside.

Dining Room: As mentioned by Sayra, now there is a vegetarian dish on the main menu. Discuss it with the "Headwaiter" (he does not serve the tables but goes around the dining room and is in a white jacket) and again he will get you some additional items from the crew dishes.

im going on my first Princess cruise next year.

are there a lot of vegetarian options in all the different dining areas (main dining rooms, cafes, buffet, etc)???

thanks

Hi. I'm also a vegetarian (not vegan) and have found many options at every meal including some of the best soups I have ever had. My only caution to you would be if you are taking any of the tours that include a meal, be sure to stop by the tour desk early and let them know you're a vegetarian. We were on a whale watching tour in Alaska that included lunch at a private island and even though the write-up said veg meals were available they were not. When I asked they said that they needed advance notice.

Have a great time!

Make sure and mark the vegetarian box on the cruise personalizer under Special Requests.

As others have posted there is a decent selection of vegetarian items listed on the regular menu. However, if you do not see something that you are in the mood for just ask your sever. A friend of mine is vegetarian and she was served everything from pasta and soups without meat to a very declicous grilled cheese sandwich.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with the above posts that many of the veggie options were pasta heavy. I think I ended up having fettucine alfredo three times in the dining room for dinner, but that was OK. But if something was vegetarian except for one incredient, our servers did try to see if it could be made veggie (like a having a chicken removed from a particular dish, etc.).

The veggie burgers at the grill on Star were prepared on a seperate side of the grill, away from the meat and chicken burgers... I had several over a 16 day cruise and it was this way the whole time. I am not sure about the veggie burgers in the dining room though but I assume they were as careful there too.

Room service options were not as plenty, so I ended up bringing down food from the buffet and keeping it in the room fridge.

All in all, I was satisfied with vegetarian options on Princess, and was glad to try some different combinations! On a side note, though, I do think Carnival offered more veggie options, but I was happy with Princess and will be sailing with them again in the near future (though I worry about excursions...)

I hope this helps!

I agree there are a lot of great choices for a vegetarian aboard Princess – but the veggie burger at the Trident Grill is NOT one of them. It collapses like sawdust and is quite flavourless....:( Go for a vegetarian pizza slice instead with a side of guacamole to dip the crust!

LidoLiz

If you are not a Vegan, there are many choices. I'm not a vegetarian, but many of the dishes I had were, and they were wonderful. Some of my favorites were the forrest mushroom soup, the goat cheese souffle (in a creamy sauce with light garlic), and grilled pumpkin with crepes stuffed with mascarpone cheese and walnuts. The last was a main course. They also make salads in main course size (think pasta bowl, piled high). They had feta and watermelon appetizer one night, and asperagas with hollandase another. Then, as everybody mentioned, they also have fettuccine alfredo, which if ordered as a main dish comes in a wonderful cheese bowl! You can always get rice, and as Sulton mentioned, a vegetarian curry is available if you ask in advance (it was always available at the Horizon court on Sapphire during our cruise). For breakfast they generally have a couple of grains (and grits if you ask) and congee, although I didn't check if it had meat or not. They also frequently have beans in the breakfast selection at the buffet.

Fern

PS: Hi Sulton. YES, *that* Fern...

OT:

I was wondering whether another poster (ibfern) was you. So that wasn't' you.

Will watch your posts now! Get into your "guidance" mode on cruise-critic forums too.

Fern

PS: Hi Sulton. YES, *that* Fern...

If you are not a Vegan, there are many choices. I'm not a vegetarian, but many of the dishes I had were, and they were wonderful. Some of my favorites were the forrest mushroom soup, the goat cheese souffle (in a creamy sauce with light garlic), and grilled pumpkin with crepes stuffed with mascarpone cheese and walnuts.

If you are a strict vegetarian, make sure you ask in advance about the base stock used in the soups and sauces -- often the dish will appear to be vegetarian, but will have been made with a chicken or beef stock. As somebody with a life-threatening allergy to chicken (anaphylaxis), I've been surprised to find some very innocuous-looking veggie dishes were started with chicken stock. If the server doesn't know, ask to speak with the chef.

LidoLiz

Archived