Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

[quote name='Catnip'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]What's amazing to me about this thread is the number of people that are whining about the whiners. :D If reading about people's opinions that some are still not happy with RCCL's "compromise" drives you crazy, then why not unsubscribe to this thread and click on another thread that won't annoy you so much? :confused:
I like seeing both points of view and like to see who is satisfied with the compromise and who isn't. [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Great post. I see RCI as the dog who bites the hand that feeds it.

[quote name='mrchips14']The diamond nightly happy hour will be in a lounge picked by the ship staff. I wonder if they will tell us which or if we have to hunt it out for ourselves. And they can change the lounge nightly to drive us nuts. LOL[/quote]

Well, its not going to be too tough - its either going to be some part of the Viking Crown, or the "main lounge", such as the Colony Club on Radiance class. I'm guessing it will on the Cruise Compass. BTW, for those non-Ds worried about the "loss" of a venue for that time, I have no doubt that they will not close down a revenue-producing bar like the Schooner. If you've ever shown up in a lounge at the wrong time for a scheduled event, you know that when there is no event those places are empty!

[quote name='beachbuddy'][quote name='alamogirl']Frankly my DH and I could care less about level - and if the amount of $$ spent on ship counted - trust me we would be D+ easily. We enjoy good wine, champagne and I also shop on the ship. We can pay for our own drinks and mingle in any of the great bars with "wonderful" people, preferably the Champagne Bar, where I can BUY the champagne of my choice. QUOTE]

Hey, congratulations!! Your one of a few that can afford to buy the best of everything and spend lots of money while on a ship!! Really, consider yourself lucky. Hmmmmm, do you spend any of that money on a suite?? If so, you probably already have use of the CL.[/quote]
We have stayed in 1 JS. we save each year and plan our cruise. We tend to be stay at homes during the year and have BBQ's with friends and family. It is the one time of year that we do for us and at our age we have worked hard and saved to be able to have a wonderful time. This year was especially special - my DH had emergency heart surgery the day he was to have cancer surgery, a month later he had the cancer surgery. So, knowing that life is precious and what you care for most can be taken away in a blink of any eye, YES we try to enjoy what we can this one time a year.

I forwarded Mr Goldsteins letter to my DW. She doesn't read the boards and hasn't been following the situation other that to agree with me that we'd cancel our two Mariner cruises in October and switch to Holland America.

She said she was amazed at the double talk in the letter. She was very unimpressed.

We were at a friends home over the weekend a group of people were discussing all of the deals to be had at hotels and [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]restaurants. They live in Palm Springs and go out often and always on a coupon. It seems like a bizarre time to lower incentives. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]When the incentive on our cruises was removed, they no longer were as attractive to us, so we canceled. No whinning and no hard feelings. We list positive and negative features of available cruises and make our decision which to go on. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]We're booked on the Radiance next year and it has many more postive attributes for us, so we'll be with RCCL in the spring, no matter how this works out.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='sealord']

By the way ... the cancellation fallout may have 'fallen' far and wide. Three weeks ago our cruise on the Celebrity [I]Xpedition[/I] in September was totally sold out. Not any more. There are plenty of vacant rooms now. Of course, 'final payment' is not due until June, so there is always going to be shifting about. It may have had nothing to do with this debacle.:rolleyes:
.[/quote]
Xpedition doesn't have a CL and the alcohol is ALL INCLUSIVE and there is no tipping so it cant have anything to do with the CL. Also X doesn't have the same benefits as RCL, there is no CL to begin with.

[QUOTE]Now back to jbond's analysis. I really doubt that cruisers will buy two drinks in other bars if they are denied former Concierge benefits, ......

From anecdotal evidence on these threads, I believe more than 14 cabins will remain empty because of the Concierge decision. Others may have different thoughts. [/QUOTE]
I think that we both agree in the end. It's mainly about the money.
RCI management made decisions based purely on the bottom line and it backfired. I'm sure they figured in some lost bookings, but judging from these boards, that represent just a small fraction of cruisers, the negative reaction has been overwhelming. RCI's quick retreat backs that up, in my opinion. Their response isn't all that people would wish for, but it is something that appeases many. It also pulls people into bar areas where many will buy drinks that they would otherwise have gotten for free. It could also slow down the cancellations until people get over the change and RCI will then be filling up fewer empty rooms with new cruisers.
My original post was to Driftwoodgal, just to point out that the cost to RCI was much higher than the $2100 that she was quoting. It's a sizeable chunk of change. The overcrowding is a big problem, but IMO, it's about the money.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Geeze Alan, I gave you a wink because I was just playing around with you. I wasn't trying to be snide.[/QUOTE]

My Bad! I thought you were serious! I guess I was still upset about losing my really quiet morning space on Deck 10!

[quote name='jbond']I think that we both agree in the end. It's mainly about the money.
RCI management made decisions based purely on the bottom line and it backfired. I'm sure they figured in some lost bookings, but judging from these boards, that represent just a small fraction of cruisers, the negative reaction has been overwhelming. RCI's quick retreat backs that up, in my opinion. Their response isn't all that people would wish for, but it is something that appeases many. It also pulls people into bar areas where many will buy drinks that they would otherwise have gotten for free. It could also slow down the cancellations until people get over the change and RCI will then be filling up fewer empty rooms with new cruisers.
My original post was to Driftwoodgal, just to point out that the cost to RCI was much higher than the $2100 that she was quoting. It's a sizeable chunk of change. The overcrowding is a big problem, but IMO, it's about the money.[/QUOTE]

Do you make decisions based on bottom line and dates that work for you?

[quote name='sculptress'][B][SIZE=3]It seems that on this post, "Letter To Diamond Members", all the people that are for RCI are either Gold or Platinum or Diamond Plus. [/SIZE][/B][/quote]

It is a given that once a guest sails on this cruise line, upon your return you will fall into one of these categories so what then is your point??? Are you looking for someone who has never sailed with RCI that are not Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Diamond Plus to listen to your tantrums?

Aren't you the same one who also posted earlier that "[I][B]this site was a joke"[/B][/I]??? [B]YOUR WORDS![/B] And you really want people to take you seriously??? Why subject yourself to this if it's not to your liking. Really, I would like to know your reasoning on this. Forget about what you're upset about, we've all taken note of your [SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]BOLD RED FONTS [/B][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]and are well aware where you stand on this matter but why? [B]Why come back to a place where you feel is a joke???[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Alot has been said about members going back and forth with unecessary comments to each other but come on, lets call it out for what it is. This person has mentioned that she/he feels that since the new C&A benefits have been modified, she/he will not be treated in a manner that was better than the rest of the guests onboard. She/he writes that because of the thousands of dollars spent, she/he SHOULD be held to a higher standard than other people on board. C&A IMO was NOT created to hold certain people to a higher standard. I believe it was created to appreciate those guests who returned to RC. No one had their arms twisted to keep returning back to RCI for the C&A program. Although I do agree that it was a marketing tactic to get customers to return, I personally did not return to see what I could get for free the next time I was onboard. Whether or NOT anyone took advantage of those perks is not the question because (if you read back a few posts) there are in fact, many Diamond/Diamond Plus persons who have never utilized the CL, never needed assistance in obtaining Ice Show Tickets, reservations to the specialty restaurants or coffee early in the morning in a quiet place.

I think it is so sad to go above all of that and say you're upset because you wont be "treated" (mind you, she/he said treated, not afforded the same perks) as before and is IMO, not a valid reason to have a gripe with [B]ANY[/B] cruise line.

It has been my experience on the 4 lines I've cruised (Princess, Carnival, RCI and the now defunct Commodore) that upon stepping onboard any of these ships, I was extended (not treated) the same warm welcome as the person in front of me and the one coming right behind me. I've never known of a "class" system on any cruise line that separated 1st Class from steerage since that has now been dissolved. Booking a suite may offer you nicer perks but you certainly will NOT be treated nicer by the staff. I can almost guarantee you that as soon as your stateroom attendant finishes cleaning your cabin, he/she will step outside and greet whomever may be walking down the hallway in the same kind manner that they've afforded you.

I like coming back here (CC) to view the different views people may have and it is a given, call me a cheerleader or whatever you may want to call me but at least I am truthful in what I post and feel is right for [B]ME[/B]. I don't have to go off the deep end and try to make others see my opinon as the "right" one. In regards to some of the other posts this person has written, there have within them been some very valid points but when taken to the next level, it just seems to discredit the entire post and it's meaning.

Just my 5 cents (I didn't have change LOL!!!):cool:

[QUOTE]Do you make decisions based on bottom line and dates that work for you?[/QUOTE]
When I worked for a living and had a responsibility to stockholders, the bottom line was always a driver, just like it is for Adam Goldstein. It was also a major player in bonus allocation.
May be you could elaborate on the Dates thing.:confused:

[quote name='negc']Every night and all ships including the Sovereign Class ships and Vision class ships that don't have a CL. The text of emails from Adam Goldstein addressing both of these issues are contained in the threads on this board and both issues have been discussed in detail.:rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks for your response.......if you are going to be mean spirited about it....don't answer at all in the future...

I don't get it...if you find something posted you don't like or it annoys you.....quit reading it. More and more I am seeing sarcastic and "not necessary comments and answers". This is supposed to be a helpful friendly website....or at least I have always found it to be.....

[quote name='maggieq']Thanks for your response.......if you are going to be mean spirited about it....don't answer at all in the future...

I don't get it...if you find something posted you don't like or it annoys you.....quit reading it. [/quote]

Exactly what I think, too.

[quote name='Catnip']hehehehehehehehe! :D :D[/quote]

(Off topic)

Catnip I know I mentioned your quotes the other day but did you post your quotes under you "signature" or
where on the profile. I have to find something to add to mine!!!
Thnx!

(ok, now we can get back to the subject)

[quote name='texlatin1'](Off topic)

Catnip I know I mentioned your quotes the other day but did you post your quotes under you "signature" or
where on the profile. I have to find something to add to mine!!!
Thnx!

(ok, now we can get back to the subject)[/quote]

Yes, it's under "edit signature". I'll be waiting to see what you come up with! :) So many cute quotes, not enough room! :D (There were really some wonderful political quotes that I found, but unfortunately, they are not allowed here at CC)

[quote name='Catnip']Exactly what I think, too.[/quote]

me three!

really can't we all just get along??

(and to the person with the [SIZE=6][COLOR=red]huge RED font[/COLOR][/SIZE]....get rid of it please???? you make it difficult to read your posts...i don't even know what they say....they hurt my eyes!)

[U][B]Very Simple[/B][/U]: Do not react to the ones who have accepted and are happpy with the RC's response and feel the need to attack those who are not satisfied.
They are looking for attention..Do not give it to them.=..Ignore their posts and move on. They don't belong on the thread, should have their own but find it fun to park and harass the ones who are not satisfied. Actually who cares if they are happy or content? Why give them any energy.

This may appear dumb/stupid to many - it wouldn't be the 1st time...I laugh at some of my thoughts quite often. I'm been reading all the various opinions we posters have on RCL's decision to present the case for changes to Loyalty program. I was still getting over the combination of benefits/discount coupons/future booking credits and any etc. I left out. I was trying to re-adjust, hopeful that I would read of news that it was restructured in a way that wasn't so drastic...while keeping up on this site ( I never got notice of this in any email) I read about the focus group. That really put some questions in my mind because I have been part of other focus groups - and they have been run totally different...but - I think it placed doubts- regardless of whether it was or was not biased. I was mulling over these things but nothing as major as what came next - and so quickly pow, pow, pow! It was the rapid succession of "issues" clouding RCC.
I really think I would have felt better if the changes had come all at once - I wouldn't have been happy - but if it had been explained that economy being what it is - changes have to be made and suggesting that company was going to do it's best to put together a new program that they hoped would please their loyal passengers and APOLOGIZING for the necessary changes...... Then I would have felt entirely different - I would have understood. It would have sounded honest ....
OK - Shoot me if you must....
Maybe it only would have helped me and made everyone else ( and 'the market') think less of the company? I have kept up enough to know revenue was declining, pod problems are not solved ( my canceled cruise in March), all cruise lines are suffering as consumers try to keep heads above water, debt issues, ratings, RCL stock prices, financing for mega ships ...all are legitimate issues. I don't think I would have felt the anger I felt with that type of announcement - OH - and I still haven't gotten notice - just found out on this site. (I did receive letter - form- though I asked to be called about the cancelation of my cruise...but I can call later- just showed letters were not read)....I should add to the list they need new and better communicartion software and upgrades..and that also is costly.
All this leads me to think the executive staff has been wrongly focused for a while - maybe putting out too many fires constantly? - rather than proactively paying attention?
These are my thoughts - I have been one of those cheerleaders for RCC ( X included) and they didn't necessarily justify all my cheers - but I was loyal and I have never had a bad time on their vessels. (Never on any of the few others either-how can any cruise be bad?) I checked prices - but between RCC and X ships - and then iteniary.. and my intention was to become diamond plus like "winning a award " ...I was SOLD on doing all my future Cruises with this company. (FYI: Princess yearly cruise is handled by a loyal Princess cruiser and I just go along - but was working on switching this group...Carnival are just short fun at the $299 for a weekend type... Norwegian we went on long ago and it was great - We just decided to work on making Diamond with RCC)
I'll steel myself and wait for your comments.....

[quote name='alamogirl'][quote name='beachbuddy']
We have stayed in 1 JS. we save each year and plan our cruise. We tend to be stay at homes during the year and have BBQ's with friends and family. It is the one time of year that we do for us and at our age we have worked hard and saved to be able to have a wonderful time. This year was especially special - my DH had emergency heart surgery the day he was to have cancer surgery, a month later he had the cancer surgery. So, knowing that life is precious and what you care for most can be taken away in a blink of any eye, YES we try to enjoy what we can this one time a year.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I didn't mean anything bad by what I posted. Sorry to hear about your husband's surgeries.......I hope his health has improved and he's doing well now. Your so right about life being short and you never know what's going to be thrown your way so enjoy every minute while you can. I see your cruising soon...........hope you have a good one!!!

[quote name='Charles4515']In the lounges they have a coffee machine that makes Expresso and Capachino. Not just coffee but fancy coffee. I have become quite fond of going to the lounge at all times of the day to get such. It is a lot better than what you get in the Windjammer. I will miss that.

Really once you get used to a perk like the lounge it becomes an expectation. Something to look forward too. Having it taken away is a loss. Since I have never experienced crowded lounges, they were always nice and sociable it is a bummer.[/quote]

I so agree with you!

I'm happy for all of you who are happy with the latest revision, although it does nothing for us since we are non drinkers. We love the CL during the day. We don't go to the happy hour (went once, DH had diet coke, I had about half a can) I like to drink ice tea, lemonade and lots of water. I love the virgin pina coladas, but only have one or two during a cruise (watching calories). DH is a diet coke drinker so ge always gets the soda package. He also loves the expresso and capuccino in the DL. Yes, we'll miss being able to go to the CL but will still cruise RCI along with other lines when the price and itinerary is right for us.

Archived