Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

I'm with you up until the continental breakfast part. Ummm...isn't ALL breakfast on ALL cruise ships continental? It's already included in our cruisefare, so how's this different? Just sayin...

When I read my letter this morning...I'll admit it...I giggled a little at this part. How much money you wanna bet it's exactly what's available on the Windjammer? ;)

That being said, I own a business and sometimes you've just gotta do what you have to do. It's the way it is. The way I see it is, I'd rather sail with RCI than NOT have an RCI to sail on, and if free stuff is what's making you leave, you weren't there for the product anyway. RCI does offer things you can't get on other lines. I like other lines, too, and I sail them for THEIR special things. I love Carnival, I love RCI and I tolerate X if they have a great itinerary I can't get anywhere else.

Let's not sweat this stuff, guys. Cruising is about our vacations, memories, our families and good times. NOT about us getting a few watered down drinks in the CL. It's just not. These "perks" are great, but if that's what made you cruise then you missed the point, in my opinion.

No most breakfasts on cruise ships are not continental. They are a full beakfasts. And what is available in the Windjammer is FAR more than what any conintental breakfast would be considered to be. So in reality, this new continental breakfast is proabaly a step down from what would be available in either the Windjammer or dining room.

I certainly understand the need to close the prior thread on this issue and begin a new one, but to continue the discussions under the banner, RCI Comes Through For Diamond Members seems like it was written by the PR man (and that's what I do for a living). Hey, "Royal backs down," "admits a mistake," "attempts to strike a compromise," etc., that's the situation.

As stated on a prior thread, I do believe they already had this as a fallback plan if things heated up too much. These guys and gals on the executive team are smart and I believe manipulative.

My bottom line -- I cancelled Serenade and booked my first Princess, I still will consider RCCL (going on Grandeur in June), BUT my loyalty is gone. DW and I love the Radiance class, but RCCL is focused on monster ships, not our preference at all.

Someone more familiar with corporate finances might be able to explain the procedure but it would probably be a MEGO (my eyes glaze over) situation for most of us.:D

Oh I love that, I will definitely have to steal that expression. Sorry, I live in a cave and have little outside contact, just moved out of Mom's basement a few weeks ago, if this is a really old expression that everyone knows. :D

I'm with you up until the continental breakfast part. Ummm...isn't ALL breakfast on ALL cruise ships continental? It's already included in our cruisefare, so how's this different? Just sayin...

When I read my letter this morning...I'll admit it...I giggled a little at this part. How much money you wanna bet it's exactly what's available on the Windjammer? ;)

I think they mean the continental breakfast that is always available in the Concierge Lounge every morning will also be available in the satellite room.

Check the dictionary... gullible isn't in there anymore. It's been removed.

So no access to the CL, instead you get a cold breakfast (no cost to RCL) in a private area (no cost to RCL) and have a representative to give you tickets and book shore excursions (no cost to RCL).

Instead of a party once per trip you get one every night, but you have to go there to pay 3/4 of the price of a regular drink. You get wine and "chumpagne" (because t's not champagne... champagne is from the champagne region of France and is made in the méthode Champagnois. This is cheap wine carbonated artificially in the méthode Coca-Cola.)

Can someone give us a guess on what brand of boxed wine they will be using? Let's see, in any supermarket in Spain or Italy you can buy swill for €0.50 a liter (white or red, your choice.) Yes, folks, it's cheaper to buy wine than bottled water or Coca-Cola.

So, over 3500 messages with complaints and this is what people settle for? This is enough to placate most people? Anyone want to buy a bridge? I have a beautiful one available for sale....

brooklyn-bridge-1a.jpg

Agree 100%. I see a flock of sheep walking on board with smiles on their faces.

I have stayed out of the fray on this issue but did email my thoughts to RCL directly. While I agree that this isn't a great solution, one thing that we may have gained is a daily event on those ships that have never had a CL or DL. So now the Vision, etc. will have a little something for Diamonds that it didn't have before. A small silver lining for those sailing the older ships perhaps.

I will enjoy the lounge for a last time on my May Radiance cruise and bid a fond goodbye to RCCL after that. It took me 10 years to gain use of the lounge and I will not suffer another 15 years to regain it's use. In June I will be canceling my October cruise on the Explorer of the Sea and return to Princess where I have elite status.

I'm curious, how does Elite compare to Diamond in terms of loyalty benefits?

I am glad that RCCl did listen and is offering a compromise. It is good business sense to listen to your customers. But with my luck they changed the new date to Sept 1 ( I sail Sept 2 :(). They are offering wine and champagne( I did not drink anything but soda :( ). But I am glad others will benefit from the change :D. We will be on the Jewel TA in Sept in a D1 and I am still looking forward to a wonderful cruise. I have to admit, I will be disappointed since we just made diamond and we were looking forward to the CL. Maybe I can talk DH into a suite. I wish JR suites (which we like and book often) were really suites and included in the CL gang! Thank you RCCL for being open-minded.

Agree 100%. I see a flock of sheep walking on board with smiles on their faces.

But, wasn't that always the case? The biggest difference now is that not all of the semi-frequent sheep will get free liquor, only the MOST frequent and perhaps the geriatric sheep, who've had the longest to be Diamond +.

Seriously, would you rather not have RCI as an option to cruise on or would you rather just deal with the cut backs? Everyone's talking about changing lines but can you name any other line that gives you free alcohol? I can't, except the ones that you pay so much for that you'll NEED the free alcohol to be able to deal with the exorbitant priceing.

I DO understand the irritation, but I don't understand the downright nastiness over a few drinks and CL. They're good perks, but certainly not the end all of a great cruise experience, in my opinion.

applause.gif

texlatin1,

I had to "borrow" this image. :o

RCI, I applaud you on your decision to help the Diamonds. :)

Although we are D+ we can still socialize with our D friends in a lounge....whatever it may be called.

Thank you. :):):)

I just booked another cruise with you today.

No most breakfasts on cruise ships are not continental. They are a full beakfasts. And what is available in the Windjammer is FAR more than what any conintental breakfast would be considered to be. So in reality, this new continental breakfast is proabaly a step down from what would be available in either the Windjammer or dining room.

Hey OB! :)

The CL has only offered a continental breakfast. Why should they do more now? :confused:

My DH and I love the CL for espresso and a light breakfast. No need to do more. :o

If we want more we dine in the Windjammer or the MDR. :)

Maybe I misread your post.

I think they mean the continental breakfast that is always available in the Concierge Lounge every morning will also be available in the satellite room.

Okay, what you said is what I meant. :D

We just booked another cruise as well - on the Grandeur out of Tampa (junior suite so that gives us 2 credits toward our diamond status) - which makes us Diamonds for our February cruise on the Independence - geez I'm so glad to be a Diamond member, I don't much care if they have the gatherings in the conference room. Oh well you just can't keep some people happy all the time.

Lookig forward to the Independence though, we just returned from the Liberty and its the same so we are going to find the mini putt course this time - the ship is so huge - but absolutely beautiful

Happy Sailing:)

I believe that RCL has over extended itself with Oasis and now Allure. That's why all the cut-backs. I am an almost diamond who was going to use 50,000 visa points to take a cruise this fall to reach diamond. I have a cruise scheduled for Feb.'10 where I would be able to enjoy the new benefits. I think I'll apply the points ($500 value) to the Feb. cruise.

My husband and I recently competed a short 5 day cruise. We had a JS. Very different, downgraded experience, from the JS - 7 day cruise just a few years ago. Cruising has changed so much.

Our first cruising experience was on Voyager. It was fantastic. Our next experience was even better. We were gold members. There was a welcome back party, a toiletry bag gift, etc. We were treated better after our first cruise, (from the second cruise on), than I can be expected to be treated in Feb. '10. Sorry to say, and it's ironic, there is really no more "allure" for the seas with the RCL brand for me. I am dissapointed about the way they have decided to treat members who have been loyal to them. I book cruises for my extended family (hence cooridnator 23 - and growing). We needed to book on Princess last year for our Alaska cruise, because of "times" available. Always a challenge coordinating a group! I felt disloyal at first. Now I'm very happy I did. We were able to get a fixed dining time, had a wonderful cocktail party - captains party, with any type of drink anyone wanted (I had a coke). Everyone was happy. We had little "packaged" toiletries (not the gym type soap disp. glued to the wall - and by the way, hey RCL what's up with that in a JS anyways?? People pay "extra" to stay in a JS and get "that"?!) In little ways we felt valued and special. 'nuff said. Our last RCL cruise will be in about 300 days. Well, not quite "nuf said. RCL do you remember when the "bean counters" at McDonalds found a cheaper way to make the "special sauce" and couldn't understand why sales went down? a few years back (until the real sauce came back) or Coke decided to "improve" it's formulation and it's sales went down. When your sails go down, you may want to look back at the various ways the bean counters helped you save money (and lose loyal customers). As I've said, the "Allure" for program loyalty and brand is gone. Happy sails to you! Your new customers will not know any better; they can become your new base.

So in reality, this new continental breakfast is proabaly a step down from what would be available in either the Windjammer or dining room.

Guess I must have missed the part that stated that Diamonds cannot use the Windjammer and the DR for breakfast. In my naïvety, I just figured that they were adding a continental breakfast for Diamonds similar to the continental breakfast available in the CL.

You get wine and "chumpagne" (because t's not champagne... champagne is from the champagne region of France and is made in the méthode Champagnois. This is cheap wine carbonated artificially in the méthode Coca-Cola.)

Can someone give us a guess on what brand of boxed wine they will be using? Let's see, in any supermarket in Spain or Italy you can buy swill for €0.50 a liter (white or red, your choice.) Yes, folks, it's cheaper to buy wine than bottled water or Coca-Cola.

Wow, we are touchy today. Until we know any better, I would feel it's only fair to assume that RCI will provide the same cheap "champagne" that they currently provide in the CL, an inexpensive unknown brand or Korbel. Fortunately many people don't have your taste buds and they always seem to be happy to drink it. On the past several cruises that we have used the CL, the wine has been La Terre, and while it's not the greatest, at the price, many seem to consider it quite a bargain.

You can't please everyone, as the French say, one man's fish is another man's poisson.

Looks like the price of mixed drinks will increase 25% effective August 31, 2009.

And so do our taxes on almost everything. Fuel, heating, cigarettes,

anything to do with guns and target practice or competitive shooting, etc.

BTW, I don't smoke.

Study the details and you will see it on all your bills and invoices. :mad:

No matter what Mr. Goldstein writes in his letter, RCCL has cut back on C&A benefits. If this was not an issue of a cutback, why would they just give a discount for drinks. I thought the issue was about lounge overcrowding. I'm not diamond yet but I don't like the response letter from him. Why doesn't he just come out and say "we are downgrading crown and anchor benefits". He's hiding behind the over crowding statement and honestly, I thinks he truly believes what he says as he has said it so often.

We are on AOS next year as we like the ship. It will be interesting to see how it compares to our 2004 AOS cruise. Kaboochi

I will enjoy the lounge for a last time on my May Radiance cruise and bid a fond goodbye to RCCL after that. It took me 10 years to gain use of the lounge and I will not suffer another 15 years to regain it's use. In June I will be canceling my October cruise on the Explorer of the Sea and return to Princess where I have elite status.

I'm curious..what kind of "perks" do you get on Princess with "Elite" status?

What kind of "perks" does any cruise line offer that is better than RCCL?

We've traveled with Carnival 2x. There's no comparison. We love RCCL hands down better.

This is a sincere question. What cruise line offers as much or more than RCCL to their loyal customers?

I'm curious, how does Elite compare to Diamond in terms of loyalty benefits?

Princess gives free laundry, dry claening and pressing and one set up of 20 drinks of the guests choosing in the mini bar for free. Also the internet package for free is about 300 minutes per couple. depending on what you like that's the one that is better.

The Diamond people were whining about loosing the abilty to mingle with fellow cruiser and stated the liquor was secondary. That doesn't sound like the case on this thread. I think it is a win for everyone, the D+ are not over crowded and get the recognition they deserve while the Diamonds still get their happy hour and get to mingle with other diamond cruisers and get their tix for the ice show and other concierge amenities. I like this solution very much.

Looks like the price of mixed drinks will increase 25% effective August 31, 2009.

...and they'll still be inline with what we pay locally. Went out for dinner with the family on Saturday night. Nice restaurant, but nothing fancy. Martinis were $10, a glass of Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio was $7.50, Jack & Coke was $7.25 and a draught Boddingtons was $6.25. Looking forward to our cruise next week for some reasonabley priced bar drinks.:eek:

...and they'll still be inline with what we pay locally. Went out for dinner with the family on Saturday night. Nice restaurant, but nothing fancy. Martinis were $10, a glass of Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio was $7.50, Jack & Coke was $7.25 and a draught Boddingtons was $6.25. Looking forward to our cruise next week for some reasonabley priced bar drinks.:eek:

Very well said, reminds me of a statement I heard recently. If you really want to pi** off a whiner, use relevant facts. Personally, as a recent Diamond member that hasn't been on a ship that had a CL/Diamond lounge (Grandeur for my last couple cruises), I'm pretty happy with the latest changes.

Archived