Residency discounts on non-US cruises?

I've seen discussions on residency discounts. I'm not sure if we've gotten them before. We live in Illinois.

Our first cruise was out of Hawai'i, so since everyone has to fly to Hawai'i (or take a nice long relaxing cruise!), I don't know if a residency discount is given.

Our second cruise of our three left from mainland US (our Alaska cruise out of Seattle), so I could see a residency discount being given.

Our latest cruise was a TA out of Barcelona and into NYC, so there might have been residency discounts.

(NOTE: All three cruises were on NCL, not RCCL.)

Our next cruise is RCCL out of Sydney, Australia. I'm assuming that there won't be residency discounts on the US website, because we all have to fly there (again, unless you're taking a cruise to get there, which we're not). So, how exactly do residency discounts work--are they slightly discounting the price of the cruise because you have to incur lots of money to fly? Because I live near Chicago, and O'Hare is a major hub, does that mean I probably won't ever get a residency discount?

I always wondered why they asked what state you lived in on the search options on the cruise lines' websites . . .

--Michael

The states chosen for residency discounts seem random to us, but I'm sure there is some sort of marketing ploy going on when choosing them. You should always keep checking your particular cruise because residency rates come and go up until sailing date. Yours would be for IL, not just where you live in the state. I don't think (and I could be wrong here) that it has anything to do with the location of the port you are sailing from.

The residency discounts do not depend on where the ship is sailing from. I understand that our upcoming transatlantic cruise from Harwich to Boston, MA has such a discount for residents of each of the New England states except Massachusetts. How or why the marketing department decides which states and which sailings qualify for residency discounts is not something I claim to understand. When we are eligible for one, we gladly accept it. When we aren't we are happy for those who are.:)

They offer them for Canada too.

OK, outside of North America I have not seen any residency discounts offered :( (I have not actually seen Canada either, but that does not mean it doesn't happen)

About time we got some over here in the UK! (doesn't me I resent anyone else who gets them I don't and am pleased, but I'd like to share in it)

They do? I've never seen one or been lucky enough to get one. :confused:

2P.P1

For my upcoming cruise, at various times they've offered residency discounts for BC and Ontario, as well as at least a few other Canadian provinces.

OK, next question about this. Do the residency discounts come and go? Like, you would get a discount one day and it would be gone the next? Or, once they decide on which US state(s) gets it, it stays on until embarkation?

Wow, what cruise lines won't do to keep you looking at their websites . . .

And another question: if we've already put down a deposit, will our rate automatically drop down if there's a residency discount, because they know what state we're from? Or do we have to call them and lock in a new rate?

Thanks for all your help.

--Michael

OK, next question about this. Do the residency discounts come and go? Like, you would get a discount one day and it would be gone the next? Or, once they decide on which US state(s) gets it, it stays on until embarkation?

Wow, what cruise lines won't do to keep you looking at their websites . . .

And another question: if we've already put down a deposit, will our rate automatically drop down if there's a residency discount, because they know what state we're from? Or do we have to call them and lock in a new rate?

Thanks for all your help.

--Michael

Discount rates come an go, so if you see one that you qualify for, grab it as soon as possible. If you hesitate it may no longer be available when you decide to book it.

No price reductions are given automatically, regardless of whether you book directly with the cruise line or through a travel agent. You or your TA need to request them. :)

Canadian residency rates come up frequently.

They don't always apply to every province though.

Many times I've seen them leave out Ontario.

I saw one the other day for Ontario, but damned if I can remember what cruise I was looking at now.

Anyway, it was strange because the price for two was lower, but for third and fourth passenger it was WAY more expensive so it would have been considerably more for us if we had used the residency discount. Weird.

Archived