Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sammiedawg

Boycott dirty Celebrity ships

I'm on the Century sailing tomorrow. At the 11th hour I learned of the failed CDC inspection. I spend over 2 hours on the phone trying to get switched to another ship , either Celebrity or RCCl. They refused to make any changes and will charge me the full cancellation fee, full forfeit of my fees.

Inspection score 79, see the threat that was posted 12/1/04 on this foum. Anything below 86 is a failing grade.

Never ever ever again will I do business with this company.

one thing to think about. After a failing number, the ship gets cleaned cleaner then it has ever been! And then passes with flying colors:D

A bit of over reaction. If you would bother checking you will find that the previous 17 inspections have been scored from 93 to a 100% perfect score.

I'm sure that within hours the ship would have passed any sanitation inspection. After all, Celebrity does not want anyone getting sick. Not good for business.

If you print out and read the CDC report your stomach would turn. It reads like third world accomodations. Roaches unpotable water, the inspection was 2 weeks ago and all Celebrity will say is that they have submitted an action plan and are researching the problem.

There were only 8 ships that failed, one old Carnival boat and 6 other ships I never heard of.

If you print out and read the CDC report your stomach would turn. It reads like third world accomodations. Roaches unpotable water, the inspection was 2 weeks ago and all Celebrity will say is that they have submitted an action plan and are researching the problem.

There were only 8 ships that failed, one old Carnival boat and 6 other ships I never heard of.

I would be willing to bet that you will come back and report that the ship is extremely clean and most of the problems have been corrected.

Don

We're booked on Century for January 2nd. I was very disgusted in reading the full CDC report; but, I've come around to the view that "heads will roll" went into effect until everything was spotless.

I anticipate the Century will be the cleanest vessel afloat if she is not already so by now.

I think the CDC inspectors threw the book at Century because they had grown tired of seeing repeat problem areas with no apparent fix.

I'm thinking the galley will be spotless. If Century's crew needed a "wake up" call.....I don't think they will get any rest until everything is 100% ship shape.

Finally, I think the service we receive will exceed anyone's best expectations. This crew is going to bend over backwards to satisfy. When the new CDC report comes out....maybe a week or so....don't be surprised to see a perfect to near perfect score.

I think you also have to understand the report. Unpotable water was not found. Some of the shower water piping could have led to unpotable water under a very improbable set of circumstances. They were probably docked for these violations since they went unrepaired since the last inspection.

The insect condition is unfortunate. However, roaches and food do go together. After working for a food company for many years, I know that roaches will be present even if they are smart enough to stay out of sight during an inspection.

Have you ever read any restaurant or food factory inspection reports? These same things happen everywhere. A company or individual location can go from very acceptable scores to a failing score by improper employee training, poor supervision and other situations. A bad score will put people on notice that unsanitary conditions will not be tolerated. The ship will be at its normal hight level at the next inspection.

I am not trying to defend Celebrity with this post. However, I personally would rather be on a ship with all of these problems if I could be guaranteed that all passengers ahead of me in the buffet line had washed their hands immediately before entering the line and that no one had sneezed while in the line.

You should not expect any other form of remedy from Celebrity regarding this particular situation.

In the eyes of the CDC (Center for Disease Control), they would not let this ship sail, if they thought it was so bad, as you have emotionally described. CDC are the experts in this situation and you should trust their judgement, that the ship will be closely monitored until their score rises.

Think of how many times, you've been in public places and restaurants with Grade A one time, but maybe Grade C another. There are bound to be the same grotesque situations around us all the time. We just don't hear about them, until it truly becomes a 'you're out of business' situation.

Boycotting 'Dirty Ships' is like saying Boycott 'Dirty Disneyland or Dirty Disneyworld'. How ridiculous is that?

Go and have a good time. Don't let this one score ruin your vacation.

SDCruiser

Shirley and Les:

I don't like this at all but agree with your assessment. My guess is that most of the violations have already been taken care of by Celebrity. Probably half of the items were taken care of five minutes after the inspectors left. I think sometimes people just overreact without knowing reality. I didn't want to say this earlier but your comments about the roaches empowered me. As you stated roaches and food go together. It is amazing what you can see in the basement of a restuarant responding to a Burglar alarm at 3:00A.M.

Don

Shirley and Les:

... I didn't want to say this earlier but your comments about the roaches empowered me. As you stated roaches and food go together...Don

Don,

I had the opportunity to move food processing equipment from one factory to another, several hundred miles apart. After the trip, the onboard insects were so hungry that they moved the equipment from the truck into the new location by themselves. Now bear in mind I am talking about locations where there never any point deductions for insect infestation. The equipment was thoroughly cleaned before it was loaded onto the truck for transit. S**t happens.

Fortunately, most food is cooked well enough to get rid of any problems associated with these little creatures. However, proper cooking does nothing for the visual perception.

Les

Of all of my cruises, I've never seen a line where employees are so continuously cleaning as on the four Celebrity ships that I've sailed.

This will be our first X cruise on Celebrity. My friend Toni started the sanitation thread and received a great response. I agree with all of those who say, this ship will be the cleanest ship at sea by the time you sail this week!!!

Enjoy, and just look around. I bet you will be impressed!

I must be missing something. Where is there mention of roaches in the report? ? ? ? ?

There were roaches in the meat saw!!!! Yuck!

But, I will ask for the whole tenderloin and a sharp knife to cut it at the table. LOL

I do think that it was a horrible report, but I am thinking it will all work out.

Patti

Like I said earlier, cook a steak to 140F and the bugs will be gone.

But.....sneeze on a piece of anything for someone in line behind you and.....

Old Japanese Saying,

Sneeze once and a thousand Japanese will bless you.....

Sneeze twice and a thousand Japanese will curse you...

You can substitute any nationality but the message stays the same.

sammiedawg,

If it was the entire fleet, I would agree with you, but to say you'll never sail Celebrity because of this is too premature a statement to make. Upon her inaugural, the Century surprised everyone by receiving the first 100% score on her first inspection. A new vessel at that time always had a problem and would never get a perfect score.

Now, if there ever was a time to avoid a vessel, it was the sailing after the Horizon came out of drydock immediately after the Legionnaire's problem. I was on that sailing. Let me tell you something. It was the cleanest ship afloat!!! No one got ill. Everyone was happy.

Please don't give up on Celebrity!

Anita

hdawson, it was there, I scrolled slowly through the entire report. Not sure how far down the paragraph was but it did specify they were found.

This will be our first cruise on Celebrity Century leaving Dec 11, so we were very shocked by this news also. We have cruise on many other lines so will be anxious to see if they have more to offer!!

If it always wasn't "about the money" with RCI it would have been handled better...in light if this report they should have gladly, and shamefully, refunded money or made other arrangements for any pax who wanted to...

RCI is not upset about the dirty conditions...they are upset that they got CAUGHT!!!

I think the CDC inspectors threw the book at Century because they had grown tired of seeing repeat problem areas with no apparent fix.

It is one thing for problems to be found during an inspection, but if this was really the result of repeat violations as you suggest then this is a much more ominous situation and action should have been taken by Celebrity long before now.

If it always wasn't "about the money" with RCI it would have been handled better...in light if this report they should have gladly, and shamefully, refunded money or made other arrangements for any pax who wanted to...

Maybe to put some real teeth into the situation a law should be passed that if a ship fails then the cruise line HAS to provide a refund to any passenger who requests it. If it is going to be "about the money" that will, with all likelyhood, get the attention of the upper management real quickly.

We're going on the Century on Christmas Eve. The report worries me a little--but as others have said, the ship is going to be thoroughly cleaned and the problems corrected by the time we sail. Since the inspection was Nov. 16, I'm sure that most of the problems were corrected by today--when the OP is sailing. If his cruise were two weeks ago--right after the failing inspection--perhaps he'd have a valid complaint about wanting to be switched to a different ship.

RCI is not upset about the dirty conditions...they are upset that they got CAUGHT!!!

Rci does not run celebrity. Celebrity has its own management and should be held responsible for its own actions.

You keep thinking that if it makes you happy...but...this is a completely different cruise line AFTER the purchase by RCI....the Carnival wannabees.