Boycott dirty Celebrity ships

sammiedawg

I guess if Carnival and Royal Caribbean share the same demographics then that in some people's minds make one a wannabe but not sure which.

Yes Carnival in it's distant past did have the reputation as a party line. That is just a part of their history that is not relevent today. The two lines share the same demographics and the two along with Disney are the most family oriented lines of all. Ages: 30% under 30 and 30% over 55. Great children's programs on both lines. Equal and similar entertainment. Generally today, Carnival serves better food in the dining room. Royal Caribbean relies on the grand and unique ship designs to fill the ships and is satisfied serving food that is merely good, but not memorable or as special as their ships. Carnival has always had significatly larger standard cabins but with RCI's newer ships the difference is not so great. Either line provides a very good vacation.

I mentioned this years ago, if Celebrity and RCI did not merge, Celebrity would cease to exist or they might even be in the Carnival family.

I read the recent inspection and see a vessel that is showing her age. I believe the crew will make the corrections. If the Century fails her next inspection, then I would be concerned.

I mentioned this years ago, if Celebrity and RCI did not merge, Celebrity would cease to exist or they might even be in the Carnival family.

I've posted the same sentiments in regard to CCL buying HAL. Prices on all but the luxury lines have been so low for so long and are just now starting to increase. When you can't raise prices, you must lower costs to remain profitable. And you can only lower costs so much before quality suffers. The economies of scale from RCL buying Celebrity most likely kept them from having to lower quality sooner or more than they did. IMO, the biggest driver in the downturn in quality was pricing. Had Celebrity remained independent, they still would have had to lower prices (and at a greater rate). And they most likely would not have had the ability to weather the long-term price reductions. Just as I believe of CCL's purchase of HAL, if Celebrity had not been bought out by RCL or another company with deep pockets, they would be out of business today.

Celebrity has the highest regard for cleanliness at sea. This unfortunate episode will be fixed quickly and will be sterile to the nth degree. TraveL Celebrity with confidence as, if you want to see filth and a dirty ship, sail on the Carnival Holiday or Jubilee.

John

The whole "dirty ship" report concerns me. We are not very experienced in cruising. We have sailed Princess and RCI. I thought we were "moving up a notch". I just made final payment yesterday on our February '05 cruise.

Whoever said that the violations should have been corrected with the first

report from CDC is very correct. When you have a business KNOWING there are violations and ignoring it there should definitely be a penalty.

I believe the penalty will be with a drop in bookings if enough people read this report. I will not read the report because I know it will upset me more. I will just trust that those that have read it (and it seems there are many) have passed the information thru this thread.

My TA will receive a call tomorrow with my concerns. There is enough out there to worry about......this is/was to be a vacation from all that. Believe me I will be watching for things now. My husband doesn't read cruise critic unless I mention something interesting to him...I will spare him from this one.

If this cruise doesn't measure up then it is back to Princess we will go.

Thank God for the CDC and it's ratings. We have all been put on notice.

Sorry if I sound too negative but my expectations of Celebrity were very high.

Rickster and others. I don't believe age of the ship has anything to do with it. If you will notice, Horizon, Celebrity's oldest ship at over 14 yrs scored a

95 in November and only once in twenty some inspections has she scored lower than 90.

Rickster,

I am going to sharply disagree with you about Celebrity's fate pre-RCCL. I know that a lot of research had been done by TPTB at OSG. They had been looking at buying into a cruiseline. First choice had been NCL. Personally, I am glad we did not because they were awash in red ink at the time we were looking. I believe that the choice was made to go with Celebrity due in part to the longstanding reputation of the Chandris family who by the way remain in the shipping business.

Carnival, I feel, would not ever have been considered as a buyer for Celebrity albeit they have HAL, Cunard, Seabourn and Windstar as part of their fleet. I know that our involvement changed due to internal (read family) disagreement within OSG that I believe helped RCCL become the owners of Celebrity.

No one really knows the what ifs when it relates to business, especially when it comes to shipping and cruiselines.

Anita

Karen Cruisemore we will be on Carnivals Glory CDC score 98 on Dec 11th we will be in St Thomas at the same time please keep all the bugs etc on board. Carnival has powerful bug spray and doesnt allow RCL company bugs on their ships. I know the Century will be nice and clean for your cruise hope you have a great time and that we all have great weather all 16000 passengers from five ships that will be in port that day. Look for a family with a bottle of Mr. Clean in their hands . :)

Anyone sailing on Century worried about bringing roaches home? We are going on the Century on January 8th and I think the roaches bother me more than anything. YUCK!!!!! My husband suggested bring one of those electronic bug repellents, but I don't know if that would really work.

Back to the original posting.I to wiuld be concerned with the CDC report,and if I could I would switch ships.Probably to late for you now.I would continue to call Celebrity and let them know of my concerns,try customer relations.With all this said I will say We have done 3 Celebrity cruises out of 18 total cruises and have found Celebrity to be the cleanest ships we have been on. TOM

Apparently the cleanliness on Century ended at the door that said "staff only".

Can roaches actually be brought home??? Can they get into the luggage after it leaves our cabins the last night?? Ugggg...I hadn't thought of that.

I think if the next inspection isn't stellar, I'll eat the non-refundable air and reconsider the whole cruise.

I know that last year at this point and time I was aboard the Millennium and I was enjoying the day at sea. Two years ago at this time I was aboard the Mercury and we were docked at Key West. I was probably enjoying the warm weather, sitting at Rick's, downing a cold one and feeding the pigeons. (Cruise memories, gotta love 'em.)

Back to today and here I sit in Michigan where it is a sun drenched 34 degrees (windchill 26) outside and I'm at my computer debating the cause of the "dirty" Century.

Anita, I'll respectfully agree to disagree and leave it at that. I do agree with your final sentence. Anyone that has any back issues of Cruise Travel, there is an issue with a story on the RCI-Celebrity merger. It was an informative article. I can't find mine, I think the cleaning lady tossed it. (Don't tell my wife I said that.)

Regards to all.

Rick.

good thing I didn't know those reports.... What I did notice was that they were continually cleaning around the buffet after hours wearing masks (over their mouths).

It is an older ship and I did note that the showers were not in great condition but everything else was very well maintained for a 9-10 year old ship. I ate plenty of food (raw sushi to fully cooked) and all of us returned very healthy. Everything was very well mainatined.

If you're looking for some money, go ahead and complain. I too may send a letter to request what should be done in this situation.

Actually we stayed at Marriott's Springfield Suites by the Airport prior to the cruise and if the CDC rated the Century a 79, that Hotel would rate a 25.....

Actually we stayed at Marriott's Springfield Suites by the Airport prior to the cruise and if the CDC rated the Century a 79, that Hotel would rate a 25.....

thanks for the heads up on the marriot....we'll make sure we never stay there!

Dan, because...there are ALWAYS people who think $$$ fixes it...(whatever IT happens to be).:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

That is because every time you turn on the TV there is some loud mouth, representing a certain profession, with a 800 number telling you that they can fix any wrong that has been done, you that you preceive to have been done, to you by getting you all the money you deserve.

I started this thread. After 2 days of calling I received no satisfaction from Celebrity, we were told a full cancellation penalty would apply and they refused to transfer us to another RCCL/ Celebrity ship.

My concern heightened once I boarded, our cabin carpet is dirty and worn and there is an issue in the bathroom I don't want to mention on this board. I reported both within an hour, other than getting a phone message they were willing to discuss these issues no one has corrected anything.

The carpets are worn and dirty many areas around the ship, seams coming apart. The carpet is downright filthy on decks 11 and 12, particularly around the Hemisphere lounge.

Sunday they tore down the ceiling from a poolside cafe and I observed dirty filthy screens taken down. This area is still closed.

The phone in our cabin does not work.

Furniture is shopworn.

This morning the ship is billowing stinky foul smoke from the smokestacks, one man speculated engine problems as we anchor in Cayman. I asked guest relations and was told the smell was because "no breeze". I've been on 8 cruises and have never smelled anything like this. It permeates the outside decks, Islands cafe, the atrium and cabins. The guest relations man acknowleged the smell.

The food preparation presentation service has been excellent, however I do not have confidence in the sanitation after reading the report.

Someone posted a questionwere there really roaches, I have not seen any but per the report roaches all over the galleys and in the meat cutters.

Conclusion- Century has been totally neglected maintenace wise, they got busted by the CDC and if the hotel side got inspected they would rate no higher than a Holiday Inn for the physical plant.

So all you Celebrity loyalists will be in for a shock if you saw this ship.

Archived