Who really has the youngest fleet of cruise ships?

electricron

NCL makes that claim in its advertising.

Norwegian Dawn (2002)

*Norwegian Epic (2010)

Norwegian Gem (2007)

Norwegian Jade (2006)

Norwegian Jewel (2005)

*Norwegian Majesty (1992)

Norwegian Pearl (2006)

Norwegian Sky (1999)

Norwegian Spirit (1999)

Norwegian Star (2001)

Norwegian Sun (2001)

Pride of America (2004)

MSC

MSC Armonia (2001)

MSC Fantasia (2008)

MSC Lirica (2003)

*MSC Magnifica (2010)

MSC Melody (1982)

MSC Musica (2006)

MSC Opera (2004)

MSC Orchestra (2007)

MSC Poesia (2008)

MSC Sinfonia (2002)

MSC Splendida (2009)

If we take the sum of the years the ships entered service, then average them, we'll know.

MID 2009

NCL = 2002.0

MSC = 2003.0

MID 2010

NCL = 2003.6 (Epic joins, Majesty leaves)

MSC = 2003.6 (Magnifica joins)

MSC = 2005.8 (Magnifica joins, if Melody leaves)

Worse yet, MSC is in negotiations for two more new ships.

I think technically you can now take Majesty out of NCL's fleet because she has been sold and is just leasing her back for a few more months. So' date=' with that out of there ... what's the average?[/font']

If you average the ships after NCL drops the Majesty, but before the Epic enters service, the average for NCL christening would be 2003.0 .

Since the Sky is technically owned by Star Cruises, if we also dropped it the average for NCL would be

MID 2009 = 2003.1

MID 2010 = 2004.1

If you average the ships after NCL drops the Majesty, but before the Epic enters service, the average for NCL christening would be 2003.0 .

Since the Sky is technically owned by Star Cruises, if we also dropped it the average for NCL would be

MID 2009 = 2003.1

MID 2010 = 2004.1

Interesting information but I'm not sure how much value it is to anyone cruising on a particular ship. Knowing that a line's ships average age is among the youngest in the industry doesn't mean a lot if you are on one of their oldest ships (for example, Norwegian Majesty). Besides, "newest" or "youngest" doesn't necessarily mean "best". That may be what they are trying to imply in their advertising but that doesn't necessarily make it true. There will be some cruisers who book space on the Oasis or the Epic solely because they will be the "newest" ships sailing. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee that their cruise will automatically be better than had the chosen an older ship in either fleet.:rolleyes:

Hey, I LOVE NCL. They are my favorite line and "youth" is more than just a number.:p

For the sake of argument, though, NCLHELP, when I go to ncl.com it says, "Welcome to the youngest fleet on the planet".

period, no asterisk.

I am sure that by some criterion this is absolutely true, but it does make fodder for possible debate. :D

Archived