Victory Review 3/22/09 With Pics

tiggerman101

So we spent the day just laying around on the beach. I walked around a lot and swam in the pools some. I also became fascinated with this girl who thought she was trying out for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Magazine. She was by herself and would set her camera down on a ledge, etc. Of course this was after she would research every angle possible. She would then set the timer and run into place. From there she would strike one of those ridiculous poses that only a model can pull off. She would smack her hands on her knees, bend over, and look at the camera like it was her forlorn lover. She would try the "coy school girl look" standing with her profile to the camera as she put her finger seductively up to her lips. It was total absurdity and I was completely engrossed. I kept my distance and continued to watch her unnoticed. Of course I blew it by laughing out loud when she (I kid you not) got down in the sand and looked into the camera while chewing on her hair. She looked like she was trapped in a bad rock video that some 80's hair metal band had made.

So yea, anyway, the beach was really pretty.

245-1.jpg

The sand was pure white and the water was a milky baby blue color. It was actually kind of odd, because it was exactly like milk when you got in it. It was a cloudy blue color and you couldn't see an inch below the surface. It sounds odd, but it was indeed beautiful.

235.jpg

Now the surf was a bit rough. Personally I love this because I can play in waves all day. Another thing was when you first got in the water you had to go through about five feet of big chunks of shells etc. It was very rough on the feet. I had to use my water shoes when I got in (I am telling you. A good pair will come in handy everywhere...). Once past that point it was back to smooth sand. The best part about the beach for me was the fact that it was a clear day. This meant we could see the island of Montserrat in the distance. We could also see the smoke coming out of it's still active volcano.

Towards the end of the day Tom and I got caught up in the surf acting like fools. It was perfect for body surfing and we were laughing and carrying on like 5 year olds. In fact when we finally got out I heard Jodi remark "Hey Wade, the kids are back!". It was soon time to go and we took some final shots.

254.jpg

The driver showed up on time and the group came together to head back. we didn't spend to much time in St Johns when he let us off, but it seemed to be the usual port stuff. They did have some people doing some pretty odd things for money. At least I am hoping this is what this lady was doing this for.

260.jpg

So it was back to the ship. Since it was a bit late we had to get ready for dinner. The night played out in the usual fashion. We walked around, cursed at the slot machines and talked to the neighbors for a long time out on the balcony. I was realizing that the trip was on the tail end and I was a little sad. Still, we went to bed early to get up for the morning train ride in St Kitts the next day.

I've really enjoyed your reviews and photos. One of them is on my screensaver now! Your "don't sweat the small stuff" attitude is what makes a vacation or breaks a vacation. We are cruising on May 3rd and nothing short of pirates boarding the ship will bother me. I am going to print out this entire thread and re-read it and laugh some more. Thanks! By the way, we are practically neighbors. We are in Newnan, Ga.

Just loved the story about the necklace woman in St Lucia. Too funny. We're going with Cosol, so I imagine there will be enough other "targets" to keep them at bay somewhat.

I don't "do" souvenirs, but I am not at all opposed to buying trinkets from the locals. My feeling is that even the poorest of us cruisers are "rich" by their standards. We spend all this money to get to their beautiful islands, then get all bent out of shape because they dare to try to make some money off us when we invade? Why shouldn't they?

And thanks for the reassurance about Dominica. I'm sure Levi and his guides won't let anything bad happen to us.

Anyway, I am worried that I'll be exhausted by about Day 3, but I intentionally booked "island" tours in each port, and don't plan on a whole lot of activity, other than some walking.

But that was a great excuse to book two post-cruise days at the Marriott Stellaris in San Juan so I can "rest" from my vacation when we return. Right. Like I'm going to stay at the hotel and not want to spend every waking moment wandering Old San Juan!

Keep it coming! I'm so looking forward to St Kitts!

Day 7- St Kitts

We pulled into St Kitts early and I was thrilled that we had backed into the port. I could just walk out on the balcony and see the whole fantastic island.

267.jpg

The port area was nice and I later found out that it was completely man made. They had gathered all of the rocks, etc and reclaimed the area from the sea. St Kitts was beautiful. In fact it was a lot nicer then I had thought it would be. The water around the island reminded me of Cozumel. Just that royal blue color that seems ridiculously fake.

331-1.jpg

We had a quick breakfast and then headed off the ship. I had choose our only other Carnival excursion for this day and that was the Scenic Rail Tour. I did this for a few reasons. I figured this way we could get a nice overview of the island and feel like we had seen a lot of it. Also there were two times and I choose the earlier time. I knew this would give us a lot of time in the afternoon to relax, enjoy the ship a bit and (ughh) pack. The tour met right off the dock and they boarded us into buses to make the short journey over to the train. Once there they corresponded our bus number to the train car number that we were to be on. It is like they knew we would be brain dead at this point.

Now a few things about the train and this excursion. We loved it. I thought the ride was nice and the views were outstanding. I was surprised later to find other people (my table mates) didn't care for it too much. The train was used to transport sugarcane back in the day. It is old. Also the whole thing sways a bit. Most of all, it can make a lot of noise. There is a lot of grinding and scrapping going on as you make your way around the island. It really wasn't a big deal to us and I didn't think about it a lot, but I guess it really bothered other people. Anyway, the train is a double decker and there is enough space for everyone to sit on either the open air top deck or the enclosed bottom deck. I don't think anyone went to the bottom deck unless they had to go to the bathroom.

301.jpg

If you do venture down to the bathroom, be very careful. I almost did an unplanned header into the toilet bowl with all the shaking going on. The movement didn't bother me when I was sitting down, but it does make walking difficult. The scenery change a bit and it is usually beautiful on both sides. If you are a camera freak like me, then I suggest sitting on one side and making sure the seats across from you are empty as well. This way you can switch back and forth without plopping down on some stranger's lap that might not appreciate it.

274.jpg

You also go along the shoreline quite a bit and have some outstanding views of the Atlantic ocean.

295-1.jpg

I am loving this review and you are hilarious!!I cracked up at this

As I was standing there I heard my neighbor's door open and suddenly heard a "Holy S*&%!" I guessed correctly that he had opened the door while naked to see what was going on and had no idea that a bunch of people were looking back at him.
So Thong Guy walks over to this little strip of grass in front of the port sign, strips off his shirt and shorts and yes folks, there it is. He proceeds to put his towel out and lay back on the in one of his (now classic) poses.
And tell me you are kidding about the "Model" girl!!! LOL! Glad you had a great trip!

They passed out drinks during the whole 2 hour ride. You could have water, soda or a Banana Daiquiri (with or without alcohol). They also had a trio of acapella singers visit each car and sing for you. I enjoyed them, but it was a bit hard to hear if you were not sitting close to them. There is also a lady who narrates the ride the whole time. You get the usual facts about the island, etc. It seems to me that St Kitts is struggling a bit right now. Their dominate crop used to be sugar cane, but they started losing money on it so the government shut the whole operation down. There are many wild sugar cane field around the island and they have also taken to burning some.

282-1.jpg

You also pass some little towns and houses. It seemed like the lady knew everyone on the island because she would laugh and wave to the people and kids who showed up. Actually, they always seemed to come out to greet the train. People would come to the side of the street to wave, kids would holler and chase the train, etc. It was all nice but I did get an odd feeling after awhile. I think Wade said it best when he looked at me and asked "Do you remember that movie Funny Farm?" I laughed as I pictured the train disappearing from view and all the villagers attacking some man from the tourism board for money. "We waved at the stupid train now pay up!". Honestly, though they are a proud people and I hope all goes well for them in the future.

313.jpg

Also along the way we passed a lot of the neighboring islands. You can see them right from the train. I just wish we could have gone to some of them.

312.jpg

Once the ride was over you are on the other side of the island. From there you get on your bus and head back to the dock. It wasn't a bad ride, but the windows were a bit cloudy so the views weren't the best. You do go through some of the main areas and the driver pointed out some neat sights. Back in port we walked around a bit and there was the usual local dancing, etc.

323.jpg

Then it was back to the ship. I did get one final picture of the Victory as I was heading back in.

325.jpg

For those of you wondering. Our balcony was right above the "AL" in Carnival.

We were back on the ship pretty early so I wanted to head up to the lido deck to lay out a bit and swim some. I had barely done any of this during the week. I did have Wade take a final picture of me on the balcony using the window as sort of a mirror.

335.jpg

The Lido deck was filling up and it was very hot out there. I picked a chair near the activity area and sprawled out on it. I kept dosing off and I knew this was dangerous because of the intensity of the sun. Still, I couldn't seem to help it. Luckily my neighbor came by and scared the living hell out of me as I laid there. I assumed Wade had told her where I was, but no she had seen me on the web cam. I groaned as I realized I had plopped down front and center in the middle of the Lido deck camera. I was very glad that she had come out because any more time out there and I would have been cooked to a crisp. Anyway I had to get back to the cabin and start the packing and change.

After packing a bit (I really wish we had done the Express Luggage Service) Wade and I got ready for the On Deck for the Cure walk. A lovely lady on our roll call had recently gone through treatment for breast cancer. A lot of us wanted to do this walk with her. If you don't know what it is then I am here to inform you. Carnival sponsors a simple one mile walk up on the jogging track on every cruise. The money is raised for Breast Cancer and it is very simple to get involved. just go to the formalities shop anytime during the cruise and sign up. It is only $10 and they give you a shirt and bracelet to wear during the walk. The walk usually takes place on the last day.

We all met up on the track along with about 50 other people. The goal is to simply raise awareness for the cause. You are hoping people on the ship will see this group walking with the shirts on and wonder what it is all about. Not only was this a great cause, but it also gave a lot of us from the Roll Call an opportunity to see each other on the last day. I don't want to seem overbearing or pushy with this, but it is a great cause people. We need more of us cruisers to get involved.

345.jpg

Afterwards, a lot of them went for drinks, but Wade and I had to finish packing and get ready for our final dinner. I did snap one more picture of Wade on deck with St Kitts in the background

343.jpg

With everything packed, I stood on the balcony talking to both our neighbors as we watched us sail away from St Kitts. We passed be the neighboring island and got a close up view of it's magnificent volcano.

346-1.jpg

Dinner was nice and we said our good byes to our great table mates. All of them were thrilled with the cruise and I have no doubt that they will go on another one. We thanked our waiters and slid them some extra gratuity before we left the dining room for the final time.

The rest of the night we walked the ship, did our final laps around the Lido and Promenade and ran into a lot of people we had met. You guys know how this last night is. You just try to make the best of it. I did have one final marathon conversation out on our balcony with the neighbors.

About a month before the cruise I contacted the resort and requested day passes from them by email. They were very prompt and we were told we would be on the list for the day ($60 each).

Do you recall the email address you used to contact them?

This sounds wonderful, and right up our alley!

Thanks!

Loving this review!

So waking up this was it, time to go back home. I will actually try and keep this short. I woke up and walked out on the balcony only to notice that I had left my camera out on the table and it had rained. Yup, it was ruined. Thank God the memory card was alright. I was actually pretty calm about it. It was my fault and this gives me an excuse to buy an even better one. Cruises have awakened my passion for photography so I might go for a bit more of an advanced camera.

Debarkation was pretty easy. There was no self debarkation on this cruise. Personally, I was glad. Our two previous cruises turned into a zoo with all the people trying to get off at once with their giant bags blocking all the halls. We had a late number since our flight was around 5 that evening. We grabbed our neighbor's, ate breakfast, hung out in the room a bit, and finally went back up to the Lido deck until our number was called. Then it was right off the ship and into the area to grab our luggege. Customs was simple and we were out on the dock in no time.

Getting a cab was smooth as well. Just like at the airport, they had a line where you told them how many people and the number of bags. You then got a receipt and went out to another line on the sidewalk where they put you in a cab and sent you on your way.

You have probably heard by now that the airport is a mess when you are leaving. It is and I don't think any of the remarks I have read are over exaggerating. I do think, like everything in life, it depends on the attitude you have going into the situation. I will give any of you future cruisers some pointers.

You have to have your luggege inspected by the agriculture department before you can give your bags to the airline. The lines for this is right inside the airport. As soon as we went in the line was on the right and the left. We didn't have to wait long because they sent some lady down the line that just slapped a sticker on everyone's luggage. From there make you way to your respective check in counter and get in line. Some were much longer then others. We were on Delta and it was straight ahead and pretty short.

After this we waited to go through security. Our flight was later and I knew what the terminal looked like from when we got off the week before. Here is a trick for the security line. There are about four security check points all before each terminal. Everyone rushes to the two nearest to where you walk in. These are the ones by Delta. Now the key is that every terminal is connected by a hallway that runs perpendicular to the terminals. You can go through any check point and then go to any terminal using this hallway. As you walk into the airport and face the check in counters go left all the way down. At the end is the American Airlines counter with a checkpoint right there. This is away from the area where everyone comes in and there are not many people down there. We hung out there for awhile, ate in a nearby restaurant and then headed to security. The security by American Airlines had very few people in line and we went right through. We then used the hallway to cross over to the far terminal where our plane was. Other people waited forever to get through security on the other end. The airport is a bit crazy, just prepare for it and deal with it. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I would still cruise out of San Juan anytime. To me it is an awesome place to depart from on a cruise because there is so much there and the island is beautiful.

The plain ride was pretty uneventful. It is four hours back to Atlanta so I watched a movie on my little personal screen (there are a ton to choose from) and read some of my book. Wade played Trivia again and worked himself up into a frenzy for awhile there. It is nice to live next to a major airport because we easily got back to our car and got home in 20 minutes.

This was an amazing cruise and I would not hesitate to do it again. Yes, it is very active but it is also a great opportunity to see some truly amazing islands. There was not one that I didn't really enjoy. If you are a port person then this is the cruise for you. True, you will miss a having a sea day, but to me it was more then worth it in the end. I will say that the post cruise depression hit me like a brick this time. My second day back at work was almost unbearable. Luckily, we have other cruises planned.

If anyone had any questions feel free to post them and I will try to get to all of them. I want to thank everyone who posted their encouragement for this review. I did not plan on it to be this long, but once I got started it was hard to stop. I envy all of you about to make this wonderful cruise on the Victory. Have a great cruise to all no matter where you are headed! For us it is the Fascination (2nd time on her) on June 13. I will finally get to see Half Moon Cay!

Do you recall the email address you used to contact them?

This sounds wonderful, and right up our alley!

Thanks!

Loving this review!

Try this one

info@jollybeachresort.com

You might have to go through it a few times. I remember getting an email from someone who had passed on my original email. Unfortunately, I deleted the email awhile ago. I do know that we had one couple go with us that hadn't called them prior to showing up and it was absolutly not a problem. I think you would easily get in if you did just show up. Just goggle "Jolly Beach Resort" and go to their website. There is also a number you can call if it comes down to it.

Tiggerman101,

Thank you for the geat review. We are cruising the Victory on May 31st. :D

We are driving fram Nashville to fly out of Atlanta(got a great fare). Do you have any advice or suggestions for long term parking at the Atlanta Airport?

Thanks again for the wonderful review.

Tiggerman101,

Thank you for the geat review. We are cruising the Victory on May 31st. :D

We are driving fram Nashville to fly out of Atlanta(got a great fare). Do you have any advice or suggestions for long term parking at the Atlanta Airport?

Thanks again for the wonderful review.

We always fly Delta and there is a economy overnight parking area right by Delta's check in. Atlanta airport can be very intimidating to people who have never been there. It is beyond big and almost like it's own little city. Personally, I like it because every terminal has a lot to do in it if you are having to wait for your flight. Anyway, the economy parking is self parking and you pay as you leave. I think it is $10 a day. It can be tricky driving around the airport just have whoever you are with look at the signs. Have a great time.

For us it is the Fascination (2nd time on her) on June 13. I will finally get to see Half Moon Cay!

Tiggerman101,

You will love Half Moon Cay. We were just on the Carnival Fascination to HMC and Nassau, April 4th. We loved it. It is so beautiful there. The water is so clear and the colors are simply amazing. Beach is powdery soft. Really nice place! I would love to go back sometime.

Thanks so much for the great review. It's so nice to read something like this shortly before going on the same cruise.

While this isn't nearly as detailed or entertaining, here's the link to our Fascination cruise from 12/13/08 (booked specifically to return to HMC).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891443&highlight=

And thanks for that info about the airport. My 2nd cruise (on RCI's Empress) was a repo that ended in San Juan, so I have been through the airport once, and recall that it was slow and crowded. I'm hoping that since we don't fly home under Tuesday afternoon, it won't be nearly so much of a zoo as it is when the cruise ships return to port.

Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us.

Enjoy your Fascination cruise.

Tiggerman, I am so enjoying your cruise. It looks like you had a fab time! I just booked the 10/11 sailing today! I wish Carnival had coffee pots in the room. Thanks for the wicked good review.:o

Coffee pots in the room no, but you can always order free room service. We order our coffee the night before and they knock on our door right on time every morning.

I'm with McDebbie--I'm sad that your review is finished :( Post-cruise/vacation depression is crazy bad. There have been a couple times where I was almost in tears. Not because real life is bad, but because cruise was soooooo good!

Thanks again for the great review. I completely enjoyed it. You showed real control in NOT posting pics of "thong man" and "SI model girl"!:p

Thanks so much for the great review. It's so nice to read something like this shortly before going on the same cruise.

While this isn't nearly as detailed or entertaining, here's the link to our Fascination cruise from 12/13/08 (booked specifically to return to HMC).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891443&highlight=

And thanks for that info about the airport. My 2nd cruise (on RCI's Empress) was a repo that ended in San Juan, so I have been through the airport once, and recall that it was slow and crowded. I'm hoping that since we don't fly home under Tuesday afternoon, it won't be nearly so much of a zoo as it is when the cruise ships return to port.

Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us.

Enjoy your Fascination cruise.

Thanks for the review. I had actually read it in the member review section awhile ago, but it was great to see your pictures this time. we were on the Fascination right after you on Dec 22 ove Christmas. My parents took Wade and I along with my two sisters and their family for one big cruise. We had a great time and I liked the ship a lot more then I thought I would. We also stayed at the Holiday Inn Airport hotel and are doing so again in June. Jacksonville is an easy drive for us so this makes for a good "5 day getaway cruise". I am so looking forward to HMC. Your pictures are beautiful.

We loved this cruise as well when we went November 2008. We were exhausted when it was done but forunately we stayed an extra day in San Juan to recuperate.

You will love the aft wrap balcony. We had an aft wrap on the Victory on deck 8 and it was wonderful.

Thanks again for bringing back the memories.

Thanks again for the great review. I completely enjoyed it. You showed real control in NOT posting pics of "thong man" and "SI model girl"!:p

Yes, great review! I too, am surprised that the "thong" man wasn't included in your pictorial:(

I was on the So Carib route a year ago and although we saw many, many beautiful sights, I came home exhausted.

Again, great job and thanks for sharing:)

I'm going to be even more greedy and ask if you brought home the capers? If you did, would you consider scanning them and uploading them so we can have a look? I did find some, but they weren't all that recent.

And, do you have a link to all your pics that you're willing to share?

Oh, and yet another question: I have zero interest in the big TV, but I bet DD (who turns 23 on 5/8) might. Reading the review, it didn't sound like you went to any movies, but I was wondering about the times. Someone said 6 & midnight, which seems a bit silly. 6 will be too early (will be napping or getting ready for dinner), and midnight will be too late (need to sleep with all the port activities).

I know you spent time by the pool a couple of afternoons. Just wondered what your thoughts were on the TV and programming.

Archived