Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

All this talk about pickpockets in Spain and Italy is really starting to get to me. Is it really as bad as everyone says:confused: How can I enjoy my stay in European ports if I always have be on the look out for thieves. I will admit that DW and I are Italian and since we speak both Spanish and Italian maybe if we talk amongst ourselves in those languages it may deter them.

If you do the following, you will not have to worry at all:

1) Leave any money, cards, valuables that you do not need for the day on board ship in your safe.

2) Secure the money, cards, etc that you DO have with you in a neck pouch or money belt worn under your shirt. (If you wish, carry a small amount of cash in a relatively secure pocket ... e.g., enough to pay for a bus or a museum entrance or a gelato... money that you won't worry about if it is lifted.)

Seriously, it's that simple. I don't understand why so many people want to worry or tempt fate by carrying things in pockets or bags. Yes, it's a bit inconvenient to access the money, but isn't it worth it to not worry about the problem as you enjoy the beautiful sights?

It's not like they are on every street corner, a bit of an awareness thing. You have to acknowledge that they are out there so that you can take reasonable precautions...don't want anyone saying " I wish someone had

told me there were pickpockets":)

All this talk about pickpockets in Spain and Italy is really starting to get to me. Is it really as bad as everyone says:confused: How can I enjoy my stay in European ports if I always have be on the look out for thieves. I will admit that DW and I are Italian and since we speak both Spanish and Italian maybe if we talk amongst ourselves in those languages it may deter them.

It is not that serious a problem, but that is not going to matter if it happens to you.

I bought and have used pants and shorts by Tilley Endurables. There are several versions that have multiple pockets with multiple zippers and a "hidden" pocket within a pocket that is velcro'd shut. We then bits of money and credit cards in different pockets. I think that there is a Tilley store in Montreal, if not you can check them out online.

I've never carried one of those dreadful neck or waist pouches. I just make sure I have a purse that zips shut, and hang on to it well. My husband carries his cash in his front deep pocket. If we're off for the day from a cruise ship, yes, leave most of your credit cards, ID and cash back on the ship. And divide things up between the two of you. And just be aware of your surroundings.

Pickpockets in Barcelona are the "best" I have ever seen. Those in Italy are more run of the mill. :)

That said, they are looking for easy pickings and this means tourists carrying all sorts of stuff, gawking at the sites, reading maps, looking lost and not paying attention. The often work in pairs .. one distracts the target while the other does the deed. If someone spills something on you and starts "helping" cleaning up the mess, the changes are very good that you are being pick-pocketed, for example.

Pay attention, don't have valuables in easy to get to places and you will be fine.

A trick I have used for years: I keep an oversized "stuffed" wallet in my back pocket (an easy target for pickpockets). There is nothing of value in there. My credit card, money, etc. is elsewhere. I have had this wallet "picket" two times. Once, I was fully aware of the theft but being in a mood (after sharing several bottles of cava with friends), I rather enjoyed the thought of the thief opening the wallet and finding junk.

I've never carried one of those dreadful neck or waist pouches. I just make sure I have a purse that zips shut, and hang on to it well. My husband carries his cash in his front deep pocket. If we're off for the day from a cruise ship, yes, leave most of your credit cards, ID and cash back on the ship. And divide things up between the two of you. And just be aware of your surroundings.

My wallet was lifted from my (zipped) purse in Barcelona, completely without my knowledge. Never realized it was gone until I got to the Picasso museum and couldn't find it. I generally carry the purse with my arm across it at all times. The only time during the day when I didn't do that (had a gelato cone in my hand for about 10 minutes), the wallet was swiped.

Since then, I wear one of the "dreadful" pouches.

Just be aware that some of these pickpockets are very VERY good.

You ask "... is it really that bad?"

And the short answer is "No"!

It is not as bad as some people make it sound. It is not even "everybody" who says it would be bad but I understand that you get the impression as some very vocal activist like to write over alarming posts.

Alright, for your peace of mind take some precaution: Like in most places you do not want to invite thieves for examples by wearing an open purse on your back. Their is no need for ugly waist pouches and things like that. Look for example at the Italien ladies and you will see how they handle the situation.

And of course you can wear jewellery. Not the one for going to the opera maybe (unless you go) but the one for wearing during the day or for a visit to a restaurant or for whatever you are planning to do.

It is not lot like you are surrounded by a hord of aggressive aliens who just wait to rob you :)

Do not worry and enjoy the beauties of Europe!

My (79 year old) friend and I (62 years old) went to Italy, Greece & France in Oct '08. We had 1 day in Paris, 3 days in Rome pre-cruise, the 12 day cruise to Monte Carlo, Livorno, Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu and Venice, 2 days post-cruise in Venice, and back to Paris for 2 days before our flight home. Our total trip was 21 days.

WE NEVER SAW ANY BANDS OF GYPSIES, or groups of kids attacking us or women throwing babies at anyone. WE DO NOT USE MONEY BELTS (in '96 I had an airport security guard grab my money belt and ask in a loud voice what I had around my waist? I whispered "my money belt" and she proceeded to shout it out to the whole airport and take me to the side to search me, so now I don't bother with one. I put small amounts of cash in my wallet, and small amounts in my cigarette case, and small amounts in my purse somewhere else. We had our normal over the shoulder purses that zip closed. We wore them with the strap over our heads so the strap crossed our bodies and the purse was in front of us with our hand on the purse at all times. My purse and camera kept getting tangled together.

We were especially vigilant when we were at the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain, or at the Vatican as there was a Papal Audience going on with thousands of people there. We never had one incident.

My one failing is I am a softie. I think I have sucker written on my forehead. I knew when this guy approached me with flowers, that they were for sale, not gifts (as he stated), but I took them anyway. Ended up paying 4 EURO for two beautiful roses. But he didn't try to pick my pockets.

I haven't been to Barcelona, so I can't speak to the problem they have there, I can only report what we experienced. I've been to Europe 7 times now and have never experienced any pickpockets. Not to say they aren't there, just that with reasonable caution and common sense, you should be fine. Don't wander down back alleys alone, don't wander around at night alone, don't flaunt your wealth (we left our good diamonds & gold jewelry at home), keep your purse next to your body with a hand on it at all times, and spread your money around, don't have it all in one place. Not any different than if I travel here in the US. I live outside Los Angeles, and I would take the same precautions here if I were to go downtown.

Have a great trip!

I suspect what it boils down to is that those of us who have experienced being pickpocketed or seen pickpockets in action will advise more caution than those who have not. :rolleyes:

I prefer not to have to spend half a day of my precious time in a port filing a police report and calling my credit card company, bank, etc. again. And I don't want to feel that I have to be eternally vigilant when I'd rather just be enjoying the day. Thus, the money pouch works for me.

Having been to Italy and Spain I can say it is not as bad as all that, but you do need to be vigilant. I love my PAC SAFE bag and camera bag. It is so secure that it takes me 10 minutes to get into it.:D

Europe overall is a safe place, probably no different then any major USA city. Now imagine if that city was visited daily by thousands of tourists.... There will be opporutnistic people; vendors, thieves etc.

Just be smart. You'll find stories of loss here, I see one poster already. But survey a ship of 3 thousand I'm sure the number of people who get lifted is rather small, probalby no larger then a sample of a few thousand people in any major city. Statistically maybe a bit higher then any large x-section population, but I doubt so much so that requires you to be more then just travel smart.

I say carry only what you need. For what you carry keep it secure and not hanging out of your back pocket. Clearly tourists who are in awe of sights, busy trying to read a map, buy a souvenior or other activity may make easy targets. Simply avoid being that easy target and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

My DH got so tired of me nagging him about pickpockets and keeping his stuff safe! Rick Steves made me do it!

And then we were at a museum in Rome and a fellow in the gift shop went to pay for something and realized that his wallet was gone. Must have been on Bus 66(?) the one that goes to the Vatican. It's usually very crowded and Rick says the only people who ride that bus are tourists and pickpockets.

DH was more careful after that. he hates wearing a money belt so takes very little with him and keeps it in deep or zippered pockets. I use a zippered purse with zipped pockets inside, wear it across my body and hang on to it and only take what i need for the day.

As my title says- Better Safe than Sorry!

aloha, paula

Yes, they are really bad, even worse than you can imagine. But nothing will happen if you take extra care and do not make any mistakes. Do not walk alone in areas where there is no one; do not walk with your purse open, things like that.

Let me tell from my experience:

> 3 times in Seville: first time, someone broke the car window and looked around and just stole a pack of cookies; second time I was traveling with friends, I warned the car owner who made no attention and he had his window car broken and someone stole his dark glasses; third time I got a hotel with a park and just walked around, no problem.

> 2 times in Barcelona: on the second visit one of my students had her wallet stolen from her backpack just upon arrival to the airport so all her money and visacard were stolen.

> 2 times in Rome: on my first visit I went with a big group of friends but I somehow was alone for a minute while taking some pictures at the Capitol Plazza, near the forum... a group of small children came all over around me, surrounded me and started touching me with their tiny hands all over, inside my purse, inside my shirt, it was a dreadfull sensation because there's something in us which keeps us from hiting a child so they just do what they want for a minute. I ended up beeing able to push them and ran away and I managed to stick so closely to my purse that for a miracle they were unable to take my wallet...

So, no kidding around big touristic places in Spain and Italy, I can assure you!!!!!!

Everyone is vulnerable. Increased vigilance equals decreased vulnerability. Cause for concern - yes. Cause for panic - no. Bon Voyage!

Judging from the headlines of the local newspaper this morning: >>Global Economy expected to bleed - analyst estimates world markets could plunge up to 2%, leave more than 25 million jobless<< there probably will be more pickpocketing and theft than in the past, everywhere. That being said, I will take the necessary precautions I am comfortable with, and I will enjoy my vacation, global economy, gypsies and thieves be damned.

Yup, we had our camera stolen out of our backpack in Costa Rica--we were SO stupid. Don't make that mistake anymore. We sonetimes do carry a backpack, but it has water, umbrellas, rain jackets, and maybe a travel book--that's IT!

My daughter has been traveling in South America since August. They are taking a cruise home on Sunday from Valparaiso. YESTERDAY they had their camera stolen, with nine months worth of photos--3 days before they leave the continent. That just makes me feel sick. I think they have been very vigilant, and just let their guard slip a little bit toward the end--but as long as they're okay, I'm okay. Can't wait to see them, though!

Cathy

You need to secure your belongings. We saw three boys on bikes try to take a woman's purse. This was in Barcelona. She was standing close to the doorway of our hotel. She was even with a group of people. Everything happened so fast. Luckily, the strap on her purse was strong. She did get knocked down and had a bad scrape on her arm.

You do need to be aware of your surroundings and not get caught up in one of their scams, like the fake baby or the squitting mustard on your shoulder, then offering to clean it off.

I only take what I need (a small amount of money, ID and one credit card) and use one of those around the neck things, which I keep under my clothes. My husband keeps his stuff in a front pants or shirt pocket.

You shouldn't be overly concerned about pickpockets, just be prepared and aware.

I've never really felt threatened, but I think it's necessary to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

I've been to Rome 4 times, 3 times as a solo & 1 time with a friend. I've been to Barcelona 2 times solo & I've never had a problem in either of those places. However, I do keep my money & credit cards in a money belt. I am petite & my friend on the Rome trip is also petite & uses crutches. You would think that we would appear vulnerable to a pick-pocket, but I suppose we were just lucky that we didn't have any problems.

One time in Westminister Abbey my mother & I were on a tour conducted by a clergy member. He spotted a pick-pocket, well known to the staff, getting ready to work our group & had us move to another area of the abbey. Another time, I was solo in the Tower of London (the White Tower museum) & a guy kept following me around. Every now & then I would just look & glare at him & he never pounced.

Another time 4 of us were vacationing in Paris. We went into a small shop near the river boats. One lady in our party made a small purchase & left her wallet on the counter. After only about 2 or 3 minutes she realized what she had done & we went back. Of course the wallet was gone.

Yes, well, I've also been "robbed" (not sure which word) inside a Borders magasine in downtown Chicago. Somebody took my purse from my wallet with all my cards inside, including my childs identity cards - everything. That person just went shopping on next door Macy's. And nobody offered to help, not even at the shop - and why doesn't Macy's ask for an identity. Gladly we have an insurance on that card, so... :cool: we just payed 150 euros of his shopping, plus about 100 euros worth of phone calls since we could only call from our room at the hotel, plus 90 euros for my purse, plus all the cards, I'm still trying to recover all that and it's almost an year now...

And I've also had a fake taxi driver try to fool me in NY...

But we are talking about serious pickpcketing here. You really have to be carefull and don't act like you weren't warned. These people are professionals and they are there waiting for us. :(

All this talk about pickpockets in Spain and Italy is really starting to get to me. Is it really as bad as everyone says:confused:

Yes, Spain ranks tops in prevalence, I believe, followed by Italy. Just take the precautions already discussed above, so you don't have to be on the lookout for thieves.

In our experience, crowded public transportation places (trains, subways, buses) have been the most common places for pickpocket action, but any crowded tourist venues attract this kind of action.

Yes I am afraid that pick pockets are very much a problem in Spain and Italy and New York and yes in your very own neighborhood. I was shopping for a few last minute things for my trip to Spain in a shopping mall in southern Maryland. Yep got my wallet and ID and all my credit cards 4 days before I left for the great pick pocket destination of Barcelona. I suspected the theif because she kept "getting into my space" but what can you do--she won that battle and got away with it. Be careful but don't let it ruin your trip. Thieves are everywhere -- even Charles County Md. Funny thing is I was on CC that day giving my "expert" advice on how to avoid pickpockets (bra bank!) then went and donated to a thief.

I was a foolish tourist in Paris, hooked my purse on the back of my chair at an outdoor cafe and that was the last time I saw it. That was 20 yrs ago . Lost my passport ,all my credit cards and my trusting nature but I accept full resposibility because I had been forewarned. On our upcoming Sept cruise, I hope to be much more aware of my surroundings and plan to follow everyone's advice to take only what is needed and to keep it securely tucked away out of sight.

Archived