Copenhagen: Why Walking Back Is Super Great!!!!

TLCOhio

Teri, Your photos are great! You should post more photos of the other ports you visited as well. Regarding this thread, I understand Tivoli to the port about a 2 mile walk. Did you walk this both ways? I am wondering if my 69 year old mother, who is in excellent shape, will be able to walk to and back from Tivoli, plus sightseeing along the way and all.

THANKS, GoofingOff, for the kind comments! Will try to get more pictures posted on some of the other cities. We just did the walking back one way. Our ship had a free shuttle from the main docking place to the City Hall area that was located right near Tivoli. We just started walking mid afternoon after doing Tivoli. We had not planned on walking all of the way back. BUT, the weather was so perfect and sights so enjoyable that it was totally fun and highly enjoyable. We just kept going and going!!! Being as this area is all at or near sea level, it was not like you have lots of challenging hills to go up and down, etc. If you've got the time and are not in a hurry, I don't see how it would be a problem for healthy, motivate people to do this walk down or back. If you're on a rushed schedule, it would not be as nice of a journey.

Below are a few more pictures that I have not yet posted. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-CPH-MermaidCrowds.jpg

1A-CPH-HistoricChurch.jpg

Wind Power from the deck of our ship in Copenhagen's harbor:

1A-CPH-HarborWindPower.jpg

1A-CPH-BldgStatue.jpg

1A-CPH-FountChurchDome.jpg

1A-CPH-GovtBldgStatue.jpg

• 3 years later...
Hi Terry Love your stunning photos. How feasible do you think it would be walking back to the ship from Tivoli later at night? Do you think the area would be safe or not at night? Chanise

Appreciate, Chanise, your kind comments on my photos and an excellent follow-up questions. YES! My sense of Copenhagen later in the evening and for most areas that it is a safe city. It also depends on when you are there. At this time of the year, it is late, late when the sun sets. Overall, with reasonable care, you should be fairly safe walking around and back along that general route we did to your ship docking location.

Below are some added pictures from our July 2010 visit to this great city and being able to enjoy Copenhagen during the evening at wonderful Tivoli. Might post more visuals from this charming city if it is of interest to others.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 88,292 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,187 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At night in Copenhagen, nothing is better than Tivoli with its unique architecture, gardens, signs etc. Here is their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Part of the Copenhagen City Hall Tower can be seen with this lake view from within Tivoli.:

TivoliLakeTower.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud!

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

Next to Copenhagen City Hall is the famous and well-used statue of Hans Christian Anderson.:

CPNHansChrAndersonStat.jpg

I agree - it is a great walk. However, we did it the other way around. We walked from the ship in the morning and at the end of the day got a taxi back to the ship from Tivoli. Have to say that I think that way round is best from a tiredness point of view!

Thanks for the posting Terry. We were wondering what to do in Copenhagen, now we have some great ideas to plan with. Thanks for the pictures...I downloaded some of them for my computer desktop to remind me why I work. ;)

Thanks for the posting Terry. We were wondering what to do in Copenhagen, now we have some great ideas to plan with. Thanks for the pictures...I downloaded some of them for my computer desktop to remind me why I work.

marylizcat: I agree - it is a great walk. However' date=' we did it the other way around. We walked from the ship in the morning and at the end of the day got a taxi back to the ship from Tivoli. Have to say that I think that way round is best from a tiredness point of view! [/quote']

chanise: Thanks very much Terry for the info on walking from Tivoli at night. That's very useful to know. Thanks also for sharing your lovely photos. They are superb.

Appreciate the added comments and positive feed-back. Below are a few more pictures of wonderful Copenhagen that I had not previously posted on this thread. We love this charming town so much. It is great for walking around as it's flat' date=' fairly compact and the views (especially those water-related) are so super wonderful. Some, even spectacular!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 88,691 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,231 views.

A different angle for Copenhagen dramatic City Hall on its main, central square.:

CPHCityHallDetails.jpg

This is the exterior of the main art museum in Copenhagen that was funded by the Carlsberg beer fortune.:

CPNArtMuseum.jpg

This was our lunch table view of the Opera House and spiral church tower in Copenhagen’s beautiful harbor with the canal tour boats moving back and forth.:

CPHDeptLunchView.jpg

Bike riding in Copenhagen is super big and busy in the Danish Capital. You need to keep an eye out, especially during the early morning later afternoon “rush hours”. Folks are on the way to work with an “intensity”.

CPNBikeRiders.jpg

CPNBikeRidingHeels.jpg

Copenhagen’s central railway station was built in 1911 with 13 train platforms. Shown below are two of the different sides of the largest train station in Denmark. Also shown are two different interior views. Between its brick exteriors and soaring interiors, it’s a classic, charming, busy part of Copenhagen.:

CopenhExteriorBrick.jpg

I agree - it is a great walk. However, we did it the other way around. We walked from the ship in the morning and at the end of the day got a taxi back to the ship from Tivoli. Have to say that I think that way round is best from a tiredness point of view!

Marylizcat ~ I really like this idea and am curious how/where you caught a taxi once you were away from the dock and how much it may have cost you to get back to the port?? My research tells me it is about $50 for a taxi from the city center to the port?? I also have the note "taxis are not easy to find" ~ Can you verify any of this or enlighten me further?? Thank you!

My husband loves the idea of exploring on our own and if he had his way, he would go-go-go and I might be a bit freaked-out where we end-up so a map and some idea of the direction we will walk, attractions we will see, and how to return to the port are musts for me. I really appreciate this thread.

By the way, for those of you going with Carnival, in 2008 they offered a "Walking Tour of Copenhagen" and here is my copy of what someone wrote in their review... We booked the "Walking tour of Copenhagen" through Carnival and it was totally worth it. We spent 4 hours with a history professor walking and learning all about Copenhagen and Denmark. I'm usually the first to "poo-poo" ship excursions (and in the Caribbean I still will) but I felt that just walking around we would miss out on the stories and could walk right by something very cool and not even know it so we made a decision to do an excursion in every port, either carnival sponsored or private, and I am VERY glad we did.

We are attempting to do a few ports on our own but I think we may be looking for this tour to be offered next year, too...

Edited by CupKayke

To get a taxi back to the ship from Tivoli, we just stood outside the exit gate and waved a taxi down that was passing. I don't remember how much it was, but certainly nothing like 50 euros or I would remember! Under 25 I guess. There is also a direct bus you can catch, I believe, but with four of us, we didn't bother. There are two cruise terminals in Copenhagen, so make sure you ask the driver for the specific terminal. One is further out so would cost more. Maybe that is where the higher price comes in. We were at Langelinie (?sp) by the little mermaid.

To get a taxi back to the ship from Tivoli, we just stood outside the exit gate and waved a taxi down that was passing. I don't remember how much it was, but certainly nothing like 50 euros or I would remember! Under 25 I guess. There is also a direct bus you can catch, I believe, but with four of us, we didn't bother. There are two cruise terminals in Copenhagen, so make sure you ask the driver for the specific terminal. One is further out so would cost more. Maybe that is where the higher price comes in. We were at Langelinie (?sp) by the little mermaid.

Good information! Thank you!!

WOW, that takes some serious skill!!! Riding in those shoes and that skirt!

Yes, that does take some unique skills. It was fun getting up early and seeing how the "real" residents in this charming city get to work, live their lives, etc.

Appreciate the added info and postings by marylizcat. Keep the good info and sharing happening!!

Below are a few more pictures from Copenhagen that I had not posted earlier on this thread. Lots to see, do and enjoy there in the Danish capital. Love these examples for its architecture and style. Lots to see there. More to come on this thread to get people excited about this city!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,634 views.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 89,682 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

This is the view to the north in Copenhagen harbor looking north towards the Langelinie pier location, from our cruise ship as we were getting ready to depart. This is the area where the Little Mermaid would be positioned, but she was in China that summer in 2010. We saw this famed, but small statute in 2008. She's back now in Copenhagen and in this location on the way back to the Langelinie pier location.:

CPHNorthMirMissing.jpg

Copenhagen’s central railway station was built in 1911 with 13 train platforms. Shown below is another side of the largest train station in Denmark. Also shown are two different interior views. Between its brick exteriors and soaring interiors, it’s a classic, charming, busy part of Copenhagen.:

CopenhTrainStExterior2.jpg

CopenhTrainStInterior.jpg

CopenhTrainStInterior2.jpg

Here are a couple of my pictures of the Stock Exchange on Slotsholmen in central Copenhagen. It was built by Christian IV in 1619–1640. It is known for its Dragon Spire shaped as the tails of four dragons twined together, reaching a height of 56 metres. It housed the Danish stock-market until 1974.

CPHstockExchange.jpg

CPHstockExchange2.jpg

Here are a few more of my pictures from 2010 in Copenhagen, including its unique and tall City Hall in the center of town. Lots to see and love in Copenhagen. Have more if of interest to get people excited about this city and/or to bring back the great memories from there.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,634 views.

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark. Here are three added pictures of and around this building with its special style and architecture details.:

CopenhCityHallStatuteTowerTight.jpg

CopenhAddedCityHallDetails1.jpg

CopenhCityHallTowerDetails.jpg

From walking around in Copenhagen, you will see lots of interesting and historic buildings. Here’s one. Don’t know its name or purpose, but I love its details and style..:

CopenhBldgTopDetailsName.jpg

This is the St. Albans Anglican Church with the Gefion Springvandet fountain in the foreground. This church is known as the “The English Church” and was built 1885-87. This Gefion Springvandet fountain is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary.:

CPHChurchFountain.jpg

Here is a longer view of Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour. It is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire. We saw it closer on the canal tour in the Christanshavns area. Don't miss the canal tour in this historic and charming city.:

CopenhagenCorkScrewLongShot.jpg

• 1 year later...

Gorgeous photos! I hope our visit this June/July has the same beautiful blue skies...Terry, you are a gem on CC. Many thanks for all you do for the rest of us, in order to make our cruises more enjoyable and to spike our interests even more!:cool:

For those considering walking from the cruise pier, remember there are multiple piers with Oceankaj, the newest pier quite far away from the city center. This original post is probably considering walking from Langeline Pier which is close to the Little Mermaid statue. Check cruiseportwiki dot com for pier locations.

Thanks for sharing all of your interesting info and beautiful photos!

We will be traveling to Copenhagen on July 15 and staying two nights prior to our Baltic cruise. You had mentioned that temps were in the 80s when you were there. What was your basic wardrobe for touring? Any suggestions for footwear?

• 8 months later...
From our late July 2008 visit to Copehhagen, we loved the walk back from Tivoli to the main ship docking area. During our leisurely walk, we saw and enjoyed the City Hall area, main shopping street, lots of nice fountains and great statues/sculptures, more docking areas, views of the key government buildings, the famed "new" Nyhavn port with its scenic and colorful buildings, the new Opera House viewed from across the water, the Royal Palaces or Christiansborg Palace (Christiansborg Slot), lots of unique churches and old buildings, nice squares, the bronze Christian Anderson's Little Mermaid, etc., etc.

We had earlier in the day done the canal boat tour (which is a must-see, must-do highlight) and visited the Rosenborg Castle grounds. We visited the old fishing village of Drag'r, south of Copenhagen, strolling through this picturesque town with its thatched-roof homes as a part of an am tour through our ship. This village was very nice and enjoyable. Tivoli Gardens is a must-see with its rides and amusements and restaurants ranging from casual snack shacks to Michelin-starred haute cuisine. Lots of live music and performances were happening on this nice Sunday afternoon. Doing Tivoli and walking back took about three and a half hours. It was a total joY!

You can do and set lots in Copenhagen in one day. One person summarized correctly that Copenhagen still has its "small-town soul". Did we get inside the key museums and palaces? No, but we would see the really big palaces and museums later in St. Petersburg on our cruises, plus what had seen in previously trips to Paris, Vienna, London, Rome, etc. Walking around and enjoying Copenhagen was a total joy, plus we had 80F temperatures and perfectly blue skies. Walking around is THE great way to get a better "feel" for this town than just seeing it out the window of a tour bus. Below are some picture highlights from our walking back to the ship from Tivoli. Say nice things about the pictures and I'll post more.

Love all your pictures and info.

We will be in Copenhagen on the Brilliance of the Seas on May 20th. I do not know at which port we will be docking. We are very interested in going to Nyhavn. How far is it - how long of a walk? I also believe we can take canal tours from there?

Zerba

Most likely your ship will dock out at Oceankaj. its a long walk through all industry and dust...with loads of cruise traffic and trucks...If the ship offers a shuttle service...Its worth every penny to use the shuttle service.If not a taxi could put you back around 50 dollars or more each way into town/nyhamn depending on traffic.I would hate to say 40 dollars but it all depends on traffic. You could take a cab to Nordhavn station which is about the 10-15 min taxi ride. The taxis all take credit cards and there are people around to help you get a cab. Then take the s-tog to central station.

If your in good shape and like to walk its about 3.1km to Nordhavn station takes about 45 min.

There is a the 26 city. Last summer they didn't run on saturdays until June. but I believe that all the kinks have been worked out.

Here is the website.. http://www.rejseplanen.dk .You get the bus at Oceankaj and you can ask the driver the closest stop to Nyhamn. I believe there is a stop close by. In Nyhavn

you can get a canal boat. Its a 50 min ride. Best thing to do in Copenhagen.

Hope this helps

Edited by Magwheels

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I am going on this cruise on July 3 and will spend 3 nights in Copenhagen. I am super excited! The pictures are stunning. Terry, if you are still around, thanks!

Dawn

Yes, stunning pictures and pertinent tips as usual, thanks a ton Terry! We will be on the Silhouette overnighting in Copenhagen June 6 & 7, on Day 1 we are driving up to northern Zealand and Elsinore with a canal cruise scheduled for the evening, followed by the Tivoli gardens later in the evening. Day 2 we plan to take the free 11am walking tour, this walk back to the ship will be perfect for that afternoon. Of course I need to find out where our ship will be docking, but we'll do this walk anyway. Thanks again Terry, you're the best:)